iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bears in the apples already

Started by Fraxinus, August 07, 2013, 11:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

One small tree was just about ruined and a good sized limb was broken off one next to it.  Apples are nowhere near ripe.  There are way too many bears around and lots of them have some very bad habits.   >:( >:( >:(
I can just imagine what it's going to be like around here in a month or 6 weeks.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Peter Drouin

You must have all mine. I have not had one around yet :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

This one likes cherries and belongs to Metalspinner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

I set a personal record in bear sightings in the past week. Five in 5 days !!!
3 in Pinkham Notch trying to cross the road, a huge male behind a restaurant next to the Red Jacket Hotel and one ran across the road behind me in Jackson.
Rearview mirror sightings count, right ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fraxinus

Quote from: sprucebunny on August 08, 2013, 07:56:41 AM
I set a personal record in bear sightings in the past week. Five in 5 days !!!
3 in Pinkham Notch trying to cross the road, a huge male behind a restaurant next to the Red Jacket Hotel and one ran across the road behind me in Jackson.
Rearview mirror sightings count, right ???
Of course!
My neighbors have 3 Plott hounds but they aren't doing much good penned up or chained up.  The ones next door bark all night most nights so you know the bears are around.  Mostly they are after the grain for the chickens.  They haven't killed any chickens yet.  (The dogs have, though.  :embarassed:)
They need to be eliminated.  12 or 20 bears removed from eastern Grafton County would hardly make a dent in the population. ::)
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Chuck White

I haven't seen any bears yet this year, but about 3-4 weeks ago I noticed that there are a lot of deer working the apple trees!

Generally, the bears aren't far behind them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Nice pics Ron. When I first saw them, I thought for sure Bibby's trail cam caught his bear.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I'm trying to figure out which is backing up, the camera or the bear.  ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

florida

A coon ate one of my almost ripe pineapples. Does that count?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Magicman

Ron Scott

Two bears on the same route, a minute apart. ;)  A big female trailing a yearling?
~Ron

Magicman

I was hoping that was the answer.  I'll trade you plus give you boot for the 20° temperature difference between here and there.   smiley_sweat_drop

Fraxinus

Quote from: Chuck White on August 08, 2013, 08:31:17 PM
I haven't seen any bears yet this year, but about 3-4 weeks ago I noticed that there are a lot of deer working the apple trees!

Generally, the bears aren't far behind them.
I don't see much of the deer until snow flies usually.  I picked up a shed a couple springs ago - 3 points.  Looked all over for the mate but never found it.

SwampDonkey

Seen 20 bears the end of May, first week of June, never seen one since. The coons here ate up the raspberries. The go for the acorns on the oaks here to. I think they like butternuts to. One trip out to the butternut grove 3 years ago and there was 10 coons up in the butternut trees. They were sleeping in crotches of the trees like monkeys. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DDDfarmer

Counted 18 within two miles of the house this spring. yearlings, BIG boars, sows with cubs twins and triplets.

Sometimes some bears don't come back ::) 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Fraxinus

Quote from: DDDfarmer on August 11, 2013, 09:32:22 AM

Sometimes some bears don't come back ::)
That's been known to happen here a time or few.  ;)

Klicker

2006 LT 40 HD

Fraxinus

Quote from: Klicker on August 11, 2013, 10:19:48 PM
But they taste soo good
Maybe if somebody else does all the work to prepare them.
Hey, we stayed in your town last September.  Nice motel there.  Only spent one night and then moved on to CBI.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fraxinus

SwampDonkey

Oh, well yes of course. But it's still NS. ;D I think of it as the highlands over there.

Apples here have already fallen, the bears and coons can have them all. They are too wormy to use, railroad worm. The only good apples we had was when we pastured young cattle in the orchard, they kept the windfalls ate so the bugs wouldn't over winter to infest next year's apples.

Bibbyman

My third bear cam is supposed to be at Walmart ready to pick up.  I have two Moultrie L50s but both are setup for security duty.   I wanted and got approval for a third.  But the L50 has been discontinued.  Local stores don't stock them.  But they can be ordered shipped to store.  Walmart had the best deal and the most convenient.  Got one ordered ship to store.

The hangup now is going to get it.  Mary talked about taking the girls shopping for school stuff this afternoon.  I ask but get no definitive answer.  "Are you going to Walmart this afternoon?"  "I might unless you are you are going." "The only thing I need is the trail cam and it could wait. So I'm not going. If you go, pick up the trail cam." "If you want it, go and get it."  Around and around we go. But nobody has got anywhere - specifically to Walmart.

Next time I order something,  I'll have it shipped here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Last I checked, Walmart didn't have any trail cams on the shelf.
I see the Moultrie L50 on Amazon for $68

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-MFH-DGS-L50-Game-Spy-L-50/dp/B004SRA7GI
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Klicker

Quote from: Fraxinus on August 12, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 12, 2013, 05:59:10 AM
CBI ?
Cape Breton Island.
I knew that did you stay at the train station. That is a good days drive from your part of the state
2006 LT 40 HD

Fraxinus

Quote from: Klicker on August 12, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: Fraxinus on August 12, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 12, 2013, 05:59:10 AM
CBI ?
Cape Breton Island.
I knew that did you stay at the train station. That is a good days drive from your part of the state
First night out we stayed on the Airline outside of Bangor.  Second night in Tatamagouche, next few nights in Louisbourg, then Baddeck and Inverness, Truro and back to NB.

Thank You Sponsors!