iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Physics/pivot point help for Chicken Scalder idea

Started by shinnlinger, August 27, 2013, 08:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Thinking of building a chicken dunker for scalding chickens. I would like at least 12 inches of travel at the end for a basket. Wondering what my X,Y,And Z measurements need to be to get that. Any pointers?

Thanks,

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll have to study on this one at the Sycamore Project this weekend.
I'll get back with you.  :)

You may have given a way for WDH to wake up me and Fishpharmer.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shinnlinger

I think a rotary scalder would be easier to make, but I only have junk on hand to make a dunker.  I could cut the top half off an oil tank but then I would have to heat a bunch more water than I need too.

Dave
Shinnlinger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Some of the best things have been made from junk on hand.  smiley_thumbsup

thecfarm

Why a motor? Could you get the balance point just about right and do it that way? Might even use some sort of weight for a counter balance? Be it rocks,old metal?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on August 27, 2013, 09:12:19 PM
Why a motor? Could you get the balance point just about right and do it that way? Might even use some sort of weight for a counter balance? Be it rocks,old metal?

ROCKS.....OLD METAL? How BIGGA CHICKIN YOU TALK'N BOUT.  :o

thecfarm

You grow big tomatoes. I grow big chickens.  :D  Red Green may use a 8 cyl motor for a boat motor,well I use it for a counter balance.  :D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on August 27, 2013, 09:17:21 PM
You grow big tomatoes. I grow big chickens.  :D 

Your last name ain't SANDERS is it......as in KERNAL SANDERS?  :D
( you need to come to Georgia this weekend)

thecfarm

Will Crane do ya???? Put Ray in front of that and that is all you need to find me in Chesterville,Maine.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Grits and anything green will make me push away from the table mighty quick.

drobertson

Not a bad idea, kinda screwy, but, if you want to do it, as drawn, you will need a 31-32" shaft, pivoted around 9" from the right side of your drawing, (best I can tell,) the cam will be the tricky factor, might just make it manual and try some out, seems a little short to me, less you are doing Cornish hens?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DDDfarmer

I just get the water the right temp hold one foot dunk, swirl, agitate and 15-20 seconds later throw on the plucker.  As fast as I get them plucked next bird is ready to go, we set up a little assembly line up and go to it.

Local abettoir has a tank with a cork-screw style paddle. birds go in one end come out the other and right into the plucker drum. 6 people do a hundred or so an hour.

A dunking basket would keep your hands out of the water but would it really be any faster?  Not really a chore I like to take my time with.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Brucer

The length of link Z doesn't matter (as long as it isn't too short).

The radius of the crank arm attached to the motor does matter. Call the radius R.

In diagram A, (2 x R)/Y = 12"/(X + Y)

In diagram B, (2 x R)/Y = 12"/X

In both cases, Z has to be more than 2 x R. These formulae only apply if the motor shaft is directly below the point at which Z attaches to the arm.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

shinnlinger

I have created over the years a pretty good setup complete with kill cones out of old roofing, a scalder made out of an old hot water heater, a drum plucker out of of an old snowblower, air compressir, and barrel.   A slick "water bath" eviceration table, a bunch of freezers I just fill with water the night before and plug in for ice cold water, PVC drying racks, bagging and weighing stations etc, etc.   

Now it's time to make something else.  The idea if I can have 4 birds scald themselves, I can do something else to speed efficiency. 

We do 200 birds a pop from wrangled, to bled out, to freezer bagged and weighed in 5 hours.   Love to see how 6 folks can do 100 birds an hour!

Really like the formulas.   I assume moving the motor for or aft reduces stroke length?

Great pointers.   Thanks!

Dave
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!