07 gardens where is everyone at.

Started by bull, June 10, 2007, 06:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I have about an acre in and still planting

beenthere

I mow the garden spot regularly....... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

The potatoes are blooming and peas are setting pods. We have fresh greens and small onions now. First planting of sweet corn is v3. We got off to a slow start because of wet weather.

Patty

I spent the day yesterday puttering in our gardens. This is the ultimate pleasure for me.....well pretty close anyway!  ;)

Our vegetable gardens are producing salad greens, sweet peas, rhubarb of course  ::), onions and all the early regulars. Our winter squash and watermelons are just peeking up out of the ground, and sweet corn has been up for a couple weeks or so. Norm just planted another garden full of sweet corn and potatoes last week. The potatoes in the regular garden have been up for several weeks and are looking good. We threw last years left over spuds in a separate bed, and I discovered a new bug in them. Norm thinks they are Colorado beetles. Whatever they are, they got a hefty dose of sevin, to keep them from invading the real crop.

We have several flower beds (do they count?) that are up and blooming. The high winds have shredded many of the flowers, but others seem to tolerate the wind.  I planted lots of patches of the new "wave petunias" this year since they are so hardy and they are finally taking root and spreading out. My impatients and pansies don't tolerate the wind well, and are struggling. We have a couple little moles who are doing their share of damage in the flower beds as well. Norm got one yesterday, but another one got away. This means war! The early salvias are doing fine, but the ones I planted last weekend are struggling with all the wind. Wind damage is kinda a general theme here isn't it.  :-\ 

Now for the farm crop report! The new alfalfa fields we put in are doing very well. We had alot of flood damage on a couple fields and had to plant them twice with corn. The third planting into some of the flood prone fields had to go to beans. Corn is up, and most of us are into the spraying cycle. Once again, high winds have slowed this down. Some guys are even knifing the crops first instead of over spraying first due to the winds. (you knife in the fertilizer & overspray for weeds) Beans are just coming up in the last couple weeks or so. First hay cutting is underway now. Our fruit trees are not producing much due to a late ice storm that hit this year. We will have a few cherries, but the apple crop is pathetic.

Tune in next week for an update!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

DanG

I didn't get very far with planting this year.  We've been enjoying potatoes for a while now.  I gotta dig the rest of'em before they rot in the ground. The vines have just about died off.  Started getting yellow squash a couple of weeks ago. 8) 8)  Okra is coming along, but nowhere near producing yet.  Green beans are blooming and may have a few little beanies on them.  That's all I got around to planting.  Just as well, as it has been extremely dry, and my well is acting wimpy. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

What beenthere said. :D :D :D I do best at the farmers market, I have been known to kill rhubarb which is supposed to be next to impossible. Really looking forward to fresh vegetables with butter and a pinch of salt. MMMM.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

The drought decimated my garden.  I do have good tomatoes and the green peppers look like they will do alright.  The squash just started flowering after last weeks rain.  Pretty skimpy this year.  Need to do some weeding after the heat of the day lays down.  Did I say it is hot?  96 degrees yesterday.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Here's what I started with:

Here it is after yesterday:

I have yellow oinions up and tomatoes to the left of the tiller. The whole thing will be planted by the end of the week. We have had a cold wet spring so far, with only a few hot days mixed in. I am doing a garden blog this year so I can keep track of what works and what I want to plant next year.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Coon

I never had the time to plant a garden this year due to work.  However I have been doing alot of fertilizing at work. ;)  Check out my topic I added momoents ago.  You'll definately see what I mean. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Onthesauk

Have had kind of a struggle to get some of my stuff germinate this Spring, either too cold or too warm and dry.  Now back to our normal cool, misty June and the potatoes, peas, cabbage and onions are loving it.   Took 3 plantings to finally get the beans up and have planted corn 3 times, replacing what the crows have pulled out.  And despite the cool weather the tomatoes are looking pretty good.

This will be my first year of gardening with my new well, finally enough water to keep everything wet.  Rasberries are a little sparce, strawberries got partially pruned off by the deer but looks like we may have a bumper crop of blueberries.  Believe this is my 4th year for the grapes and appears most of them will have fruit this year.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Sprucegum

I tilled a spot in the meadow by the woodlot/campsite and we planted a few spuds and peas just for the fun of it. No doubt the deer will eat the peas and the bears will dig the spuds but we might get a feed. 

A farmer at heart

Don_Papenburg

The first planting of sweet corn is up and doing well about a foot tall today ,has been cultivated three times now. second planting has been cultivated  twice and the third only once ,  The last planting is real weedy and too small to cultivate yet.    The pumpkin pie is growing real well . I just tilled around the hills last week. the deer just love Lindas pepper plants.   The tomatoes are doing ok ,transplanted a couple of volenteers in to the spaces of some of  the first  sets that up and croaked . Rhubarb is done for the most part here  Aspargus was soso this year.   
Most of the apples look to be making good apples .
  The bluebeeries are going to have a lot of beeries on the plants that have not died back   A lot of them are turning pale green  for some reason ,I have no clue.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bull

Early corn about 30% germanation..... Have planted corn every 6 days up to five patches that will each yeild 20 to 30 dozen, will be planting more tommorrow AM. Transplanted rubarb may 1st its in real fine shape. First crop of peas are coming into flower,have 3 plantings should yeild 2 bushel each. 4 plantings of green and yellow beans in 1&2 are leafing out 3 will have leaves by wednesday. winter squash and pumpkins are popping out... 4 plantings of summer squash and zucchini 1st should be in flower by the end of the week. Also Kale, swiss chard, spinach, beets, and mixed salad greens. Have 50 tomatoe plants in 24 egg plant 60 mixed peppers. 2 30' rows of potatoes Katahdins and superiors, 2nd howing plants are almost a foot high. 3 plantings of cucumber straight eights, market mores, Boston picklers, and more 300+ plants  2- 8'X100' beds. 60 Cantaloupe and much more !!!! pictures soon

WDH

Way to go, Bull!

Sprucegum, that looks like some fine help that you have there ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Patty

Bull, are you a truck farmer or is all that for personal consumption? WOW, you are ambitious.

Sprucegum, he sure is a cutey! Kids love to play in the garden, don't they? That is until they figure out it is work.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

My favorite "hated" thing to do was pick butterbeans when I was a child.  The row seemed to stretch to infinity........................ :-\

Paschale

Just got my garden in on Saturday--was hoping for Memorial Day, but just couldn't swing it.  I have 17 tomato plants, most of them heirloom varieties, which I like the best:  Brandywine is hard to beat, and Mr. Stripey's one of my all time favorite tomatoes.  Amish Paste is a great sauce tomato, so I have a few of those, plus a couple of different cherry tomatoes, a few green ones (Green Zebra and Aunt Ruby's Green).  I've got an Arkansas Traveler in there, which I've never tried, something called Box Car Willie and then a terrific purple tomato called Black Krim.  There are a couple of Early Girl's too, to hopefully get some maters on the table soon.

Beyond that, I've got some hot peppers, which I love:  habaneros and something they say is even hotter than that.   smiley_sweat_drop  I also planted one lone eggplant to try, and today I'm going to be getting some broccoli and cukes to add to the garden, plus some lettuce seeds.

The wild black raspberries are looking better than ever, and this year will be a bountiful harvest.  I'm about to leave home for three weeks though for work, and they'll go to the birds.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Roxie

I planted Brandywine Heirloom tomato's too.  They are flowering and look wonderful.  I started two grapevine's this spring also, and they are doing well.  We're just about ready for the second cut of hay. 

The thing that I'm most intrigued with this year is a giant pumpkin vine.  A fella at work competes at the State level with his Atlantic Giant Pumpkin, and last year his weighed in at 856.  He gave me some seeds from that pumpkin, and I've got two vines coming up.  I'm gonna transplant the second volunteer to another location this week, but I'm real excited about trying to grow a giant pumpkin!   :) 
Say when

Daren

I will be eating my first (small) mess of green beans tonight. Last year they all croaked for some reason and I never replanted, but swapped for plenty of beans cause my tomatoes went wild.
My banana peppers did the same thing this year as the beans did last, came up and fell over dead ? It has been terrible dry here, I have had to water everything. I'll have $1000 worth of city water on $40 worth of produce  :D. I don't care though, nothing beats a real garden tomato (maybe in 6 weeks I will have one  ::))
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Radar67

I planted 8 tomato plants. Should get my first one in a couple of days.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

bull

Patty I don't know about being a truck farmer, although I have planted a few deep in the mud in my day....

We sell to a local resturant and have had a road side stand with the honors system for a few years, this year i have more than doubled my crops.....

This year we are putting in a farm stand which my son Josh will be manning daily,we will also be going to our local farmers market on Friday afternoons.

I take an hour or two everyday for the garden, pretty good work out and alot cheaper than going to the gym!!  I have lost 22 lbs so far w/ my garden workout !!

rpg52

My garden is pretty late this year - just planted sweet corn, have onions and garlic about ready.  Broccoli and cabbage are doing well, fair strawberries, blueberries doing well.  Raspberries just starting.  Should have warm season stuff in the ground, but other things keep delaying.  We've had a lot of cool nights which slows things down.

Don_Papenburg - re: pale leaves on your blueberries, they need a lot of iron if the soil pH is too high (like mine is).  You can try to lower the pH, or just spray them with iron sulphate.  It's called chlorosis - the leaf turns pale between the leaf veins.  A little iron will perk them up.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

PineNut

Been eating tomatoes from our garden for about two weeks. Also cucumbers have started producing.

Quartlow

I'm about done for now, 3 planting of green and yellow beans in. Started the first two in the greenhous 3 weeks apart and direct sowed the last one

First planting of pole beans, tomatoes on the right

Navy beans and the kidney beans

60 pepper plants, can't see em but theres 50 sweet potatoes in two rows to the left

I've got 55 tomato plants in
San Marzano paste
Taxis (orange Color)
New Girls
Red Cherry
Yellow cherry
Big Beef
and a yellow one I can't remember the name of

Theres two strips in the back yard with water melons, zucchinis and yeller squash in.
Broccoli and lettuce behind the trailer
Patch at the end of the trailer has cukes and sunflowers in it,
Small patch has 3 planting of peas, carrlots onions and strawberries.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don_Papenburg

rpg52 , Yep , PH is to high and have been trying to get it down useing Amonium sulfate  .  Where do I get Iron sulfate? any brands or trade names.
Thanks for the help
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!