iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kubota L 4200 clutch replacement

Started by Raider Bill, November 13, 2014, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

We, [Wild Bill mostly] will be replacing the clutch in the Tractor in 2 weeks. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice?
L4200 4wd GST with FEL.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

beenthere

Bill
I didn't think one used the clutch in a GST tranny tractor. What happened for the clutch to go out?

Do you have the shop manual for the L4200? 

Here are a couple links to some posts that may help, one includes a cross-section of the clutch.

Kubota L4200 - first

Kubota L4200 - second with clutch pic
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

We all use the clutch, never got used to not pushing it in when shifting or changing directions.
I bought the tractor used and have treated it pretty much like a dozer. I think most of the issue started when I was clearing woods with the bush hog. I figured if I could push a tree over then I could munch it up with the  bush hog. Too many times I stalled the tractor out that way. ( I now have a slip clutch installed)
Just lost it's get up and go power. We've been adjusting the clutch pretty regular but it looks like we ran out of threads.

One thing of concern is a couple years ago when I was changing out the hydraulic filter I found cellophane stuck down into the old filter like someone put one on without taking the protection film off the new filter. Hopefully this didn't work it's way into a valve body or something.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Reddog

Got a service manual?

Most need to be split at the bell housing/steering wheel and pulled apart to get to the clutch pack.

Cribbing for support after you split it.

Most tractors you need to remove all the FEL brackets to split them.

Raider Bill

We made a set of brackets to hold the FEL when we take it off and started dribbling Blue Creeper on fittings and threads.
The plan is to block the front then roll the back away to expose the clutch. DanG suggested to keep the brush hog attached and the PTO engaged for a counter weight and so we can turn the shaft for lining up the splines.

Mapleman

When blocking up the front end, don't forget to put blocks or wedges between the frame and engine so the engine assembly can't rotate around the front axle pivot point. 
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Reddog

wildbill

Keep pecking away at it before I get there and you might finish.  Wouldn't hurt my feeling none if were done before Saturday :)
Raider Bill's favorite son

wildbill

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wildbill

r.man

I tried to help an older friend and one other fellow roll the back end of a Cockshutt 30 forward to bolt up to the front half after some clutch work. On dirt and a bit irregular so I suggested two cable winches, one for each side. He was able to join the two halves by himself in a leisurely controlled fashion.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sandhills

Quote from r.man, "He was able to join the two halves by himself in a leisurely controlled fashion" just be patient, and line things up right.

Raider Bill

Getting the front drive shaft to line up is hampering us now. It runs inside the case on the bottom and has a sleeve so we can't get on to turn and line up the teeth. We are able to turn the main shaft via either the PTO or crank but that won't spin the bottom/front shaft.

Thank You Sponsors!