iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Documentary film on GRITS

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 14, 2014, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is one of the best OLD FLIMS I've seen.
The film is 44 minutes long and worth watching. Some really old interviews with some REAL country folks and other old stuff about the birth of Grits......lots of history here.
Even a recipe for cooking Coon.

Learn how Grits are made from beginning to end and see how the mill produces it.
Some of these folks will make you grin listening to their Southern talk and Southern ways......but that was life back then. In fact, there are still folks around here like this today.

Don't watch it until you have the time to see it all the way through.
You people from the North may finally be saved.  :)

http://folkstreams.net/film/335
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

as i watch the red stuff in the thermometer getting smaller and the white stuff getting taller, i got to thinking hum say_what maybe just maybe if i ate grits like ya'll do  down south the weather will be alot warmer and and no white stuff around here :)but the more i got thinking about it :P i'll just freeze ;D ;D :snowball:
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Steve.....you are not right!  :D :D :D

thecfarm

44 minutes long on grits is 45 minutes too long.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

I dont watch "HORROR MOVIES" !!!!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

There is no way grits are Pretty Good.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all gonna make me fly off the handle!

Just watch it....I can tell you ain't watched the whole film......if you had, you be thanking me.  ;D

sawguy21

No no, that means Parental Guidance is advised. :D Don't wanna corrupt young impressionable minds by exposing them to ahem
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 07:05:03 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All Y'all can KISS MY GRITS and you're not gonna get my goat!!!!
All I'm trying to do is educate a bunch of no Grit eating Termites.  I think you're all in stage 4 of losing the most important part of a diet.

smiley_old_guy This old guy is not old....he's 34 and has never eaten Grits......see what I mean?
WATCH THE MOVIE!!!!!

thecfarm

Easy there grit goat man.  ;D  I will watch the 44 minute of grits. Just like the grits I got from Magicman and GAB. I will enjoy both at a later date. A MUCH later date.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 07:57:39 PM
Easy there grit goat man.  ;D  I will watch the 44 minute of grits. Just like the grits I got from Magicman and GAB. I will enjoy both at a later date. A MUCH later date.

The movie expires May 2016.  :)

Jeff

Ill certainly watch it when I can. My internet has been really bad the last day andcan't hardly get on let alone watch a vidro
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Can't post now,I'm watching a movie.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 08:01:14 PM
Can't post now,I'm watching a movie.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mooseherder

Just in case y'all missed it the first, second or third time I posted this. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnE8oigYGY

barbender

Poston is a regular grits evangelist :)
Too many irons in the fire

davidlarson

Poston - thanks for a great video.  Some of us who are recovering Yankees, now living in the south for 41 years (so far), have learned to appreciate grits.
David L.

mad murdock

That was a cool film there Poston!  Thanks for the link.  What I would give for some fresh ground corn grits!! I have to settle with what I can get up here in NW Oregon.  I do love me some grits!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Mooseherder

The guy with the hooded parka was my favorite. :D

Nate379

:D  Growing up in Maine I never heard of grits till I joined the service and went to basic training.  Was in Texas and the lunch ladies were a bunch of BIG ol southern wimmen.  You got that snotty nasty stuff on your tray whether you asked for it or not and were expected to eat it.

YUK!

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2014, 07:05:03 PM

beenthere

Quotenasty stuff on your tray whether you asked for it or not and were expected to eat it.

That is what basic training is mostly about... following directions and learning new things, whether you liked it or not.  ;) :D
You are lucky you had some women serving your meals... there were others who did not have that luxury.  :D

Or read up on the stories from WWII vets in the Europe campaign or the Pacific, and what they had to eat.
Or my great grandfather in the Civil War, when they marched for several days in the winter barefoot and on one soda cracker a day. It may have been a big one, but still was all the rations.  His comment  when first around Mobile was something to the effect that the southern cornmeal was very different.  ;D  I only can assume that he had met "grits". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!