iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tempering an axe head

Started by shinnlinger, November 23, 2014, 09:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

The Internet is fairly divided on how to remove the busted handle out of an axe head.   Some  say burn it out others say never.

Now that we are making handles
In the shop inevitably a burnt head will come in.   What is an easy way to test for temper?
Does it really matter?   It's not like they are ever going to be used for much more than busting up kindling. 
That said, I have a torch and can draw colors and can quench in oil and bake in the oven and all that. 
Anyone have any good pointers?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Reddog

Pretty good write up on cold chisels and temps.  http://www.appropedia.org/Hardening_and_tempering

What I would try. And by try you know that all heads are going to be different materials. So if it comes out to soft you would need to adjust temps.

Using a carbonizing flame heat a 1" to 1 1/2" strip at the cutting edge to cherry red or slightly above, oil quench and agitate to below smoke point. Finish by air cooling then check for hardness.

If hard proceed to draw, if soft reheat and quench using a higher/hotter color

Use a furnace to draw temper at 500DegF for 6-8 hours.

And as always YMMV   ;)

JB Griffin

X2 except for I would use transmission fluid, heated to approx. 95-125 deg and heat the head till non-magnetic, draw in oven at 425-600 deg for 2hrs, 1 hr then let cool to room temp then another hr, but atleast 1 hr. Hope this helps
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

gspren

First try to sharpen with a file and you should be able to tell if it's hard, if it files like a chainsaw chain your good, if really soft try as suggested. Just remember if it's a cheap mild steel head it won't get hard, just not enough carbon in it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Peter Drouin

Quote from: gspren on November 23, 2014, 08:07:09 PM
  First try to sharpen with a file and you should be able to tell if it's hard, if it files like a chainsaw chain your good, if really soft try as suggested. Just remember if it's a cheap mild steel head it won't get hard, just not enough carbon in it.

I think you can if You dip the hot end into high sulfur oil
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JB Griffin

If it files like a chainsaw chain it's too soft. The file should cut it but not very aggressively but it should cut it.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

loggah

Some of my old logging books mention how to burn out a handle out of an axehead so you dont loose the temper. You take the axehead and stick it blade down into damp earth a couple inches then you build a small fire around it. The damp earth will keep the blade from loosing its temper.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

gspren

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 23, 2014, 08:10:05 PM
Quote from: gspren on November 23, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

I think you can if You dip the hot end into high sulfur oil

Steel needs carbon to harden, you can case harden by repeatedly heating and dipping in powdered carbon such as Casenit before quenching but that's a bit more involved and it won't be deep.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

loggah

I've made really good cold chisels and punches from Re-bar before,its cheap steel and high in carbon content.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

36 coupe

Do not burn out the handle stub...An axe has a high carbon steel edge forge welded to a softer head.As usual a simple looking tool has many steps to making it.Forget case hardening..The handle stub can be drilled out.The remaining wood can be driven out with a punch.

PineNut

Drilling out the old stub is my way also. Also quicker than burning it out,

isawlogs

I also drill and punch out, no burning of axe head for me .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Billbob

Drill and punch out is my preferred way as well.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

36 coupe

Drill and punch out are the only safe way.Forums are full of it AS in BS ,beware of BUM INFO..

drobertson

I've seen a few old cutting tools that have suffered in barn fires.  I don't have the double bit now, either the tornado got it, or someone stole it,  it was Grandpa's, He had me as a kid help him clean them through our summer trips, All I remember Grandpa saying when we had them cleaned up is " wish the barn had faired as well"  They sharpened up like new,  I guess , I've heat treated a pile,  seen lots of  strange things, so it seems that a fire burning out for the short period of time it probably would take,  the likely hood of a red heat would be slim, if it did it just seems it would burn out before the transfer to the bit edge.  I don't know, just saying.  I would drill and punch out, well I have in fact, several times,  I sure miss Grandpa, and that ole axe,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!