iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my mini skidder build progress

Started by bigblue12v, October 10, 2015, 08:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce hare

Great looking unit!  U mite consider a steel roof over that seat for safety sake. It would also keep u dry :D
nuts over wood

bigblue12v

Quote from: bruce hare on October 14, 2015, 07:05:45 AM
Great looking unit!  U mite consider a steel roof over that seat for safety sake. It would also keep u dry :D

Think I mentioned that was in the works. Might have missed it? But Yea I'm not done with the cage.
And thanks!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

bigblue12v

Little more progress today until I ran out of welding wire. One side is done. 

Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Puffergas

Can't wait for the YouTube video of it in action..... 🙋 🙋
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Kbeitz

I would make the arch to match your roll cage.
Have it so it folds up flat to the cage when not useing it.
You could have two chains off the cage to hold it when unfolded.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigblue12v

Quote from: Puffergas on October 18, 2015, 12:56:16 PM
Can't wait for the YouTube video of it in action..... 🙋 🙋
Me either! Lol
Quote from: Kbeitz on October 18, 2015, 01:36:06 PM
I would make the arch to match your roll cage.
Have it so it folds up flat to the cage when not useing it.
You could have two chains off the cage to hold it when unfolded.
Fairly clever! I'm still not convinced an arch is overly beneficial on this particular machine. Why isn't anyone telling all the tractor guys with Farmi winches to build an arch? Not trying to be argumentative at all just trying to understand the difference. The way I see it, my setup should get them plenty high off the ground and not be trying to cause a backflip all the time. Am I missing something? I know an arch adds leverage for traction but I'm not convinced this machine can handle the added leverage. It's short, less than 5' wheelbase. Like 58" tops seriously. It seems like the arches I see are on articulating machines with the winch mounted further forward and the arch is just to get the line to the back of the machine, while I'm already there due to the tractor like layout of this thing.

Also in case anyone was wondering, the one gallon gas can idea for bar oil is a terrible one. The straw is stupid messy at best, and this one is worn out and leaks and pulls out of the cap making a much bigger mess. I will go back to the regular gallon jug that it comes in.

thecfarm

I use bar and chain oil jugs for my gas too. They will get a hole in them after a few months.
I run 6 slides on my winch. I haul out a lot of small stuff. If I need 6 that is good, I only use one, because it's a big one,that is fine too. I made up some 4 foot chains for the small stuff. Much easier to only have to pull 2 feet of chain through a chocker,instead of 6 feet of chains with my 8 foot chains.
I do hope the brakes work good. The 3pt winches on tractors have a blade that digs into to keep the tractor from being pulled towards the trees being winched in.
I think by an arch he means about 2 feet higher than your winch??
Like on my winch.

This one might show it better.

That top pulley is about 6 feet of the ground when I am winch something in.

Five feet wide is a good width. My 40hp power is 6 feet wide. hard to sneak through the woods. I have to cut roads for it. The wife's 30hp,is only 5 feet wide. That is not in the woods much, but it's easier to get though the woods with hers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigblue12v

Think it's done pretty much minus some primer to hold it over until it gets a proper paint job.
Cage is done, side screens over engine swing open for access. 10 gauge diamond plate steel roof. Entire machine rewired from scratch. New alternator. Got a barrel of used antifreeze for free and filled the front tires, soon as I get more I'll do the backs.
Resealed the valve cover, repaired leaking exhaust,
Disassembled, cleaned, reinstalled and adjusted brakes, fixed hydraulic leaks, added front and rear work lights, a dome light, 12v power outlet, cupholder, operator fan in cab, fire extinguisher, new gauges etc. I'll pick up some more sliders and chokers one day. The winch is very slow. Perhaps I wouldn't think it so slow if I weren't used to my fast electric one on my truck. 

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

DeerMeadowFarm

Good job! It looks very capable of doing the job!

mjeselskis

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Puffergas

I'm more impressed with you than the machine, a real ball of energy.. First rate project.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Nice toy ! 8)
First I thought, he wouldn't need work lights if he wouldn't have a cup holder. Then I 've read about the slow winch and things made a lot more sense. ;D  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

bruce hare

Tight lookin machine bigblue :o :oLED lights are cool, go get dem chokers nslides "dirty"
nuts over wood

bruce hare

nuts over wood

thecfarm

bruce,you got a grapple behind yours?

lopet

Looks like a pulp grapple.    Do you have a winch on it too ?

bruce hare

Yes on the pulp grapple. No on the winch. I got 30 acres pretty flat ground. It's been a fun little machine. Big blue is gonna have fun. They got great traction
nuts over wood

bigblue12v

Thanks everyone!!! Bruce that's sweet show us some more pics and details!
Sorry guys getting it dirty is getting put off a few days, my grandmother passed Saturday.

DeerMeadowFarm

I came to the post to see the progress you made, but was sad to hear of your grandmother. My condolences....  :(

bruce hare

nuts over wood

thecfarm

Puffergas

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.. Take your time.
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!