iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of old Stockmans Hut

Started by WildDog, April 05, 2011, 04:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

Boban's hut was used by drovers, stockman and probably gold miners over the years. It sits in some steep country, that was once a large cattle station, now National Parks have taken it over with the exceptionof the Travelling Stock Rout (TSR) that runs through it next to the hut. Part of my job is to look after the TSR. It was built out of Stringy Bark Eucalyptus with adze, mortising axe and splitting wedges. Six years ago she was still standing but whit ants have hammered it and the cattle yards at the back. It sits on a rare bit of flat ground, the bottom pic was taken from the spur above.

Its been a while since any cattle have been walked up therePlenty of Brumbys have been trapped over recent times to get them off the NP and TSR. The original Stations "Guy Fawkes and Little Guy Fawkes" started around 1880 and during the war years drafted a lot of these horses ancesters for the Light Horse Brigade. 

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

I've seen several old sheepherder's cabins in Colorado and Wyoming.  They just get shorter and shorter as they rot from the bottom.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

pretty country as i see it. thanks for posting.

Autocar

Have you ever taken a metal detector and walked around the area to see if anyone ever lost something cool  ;D I have a friend in Alberta that found a spur in a old corral that was hammered out on a blacksmith forge. They have a newspaper artical about it and it turned out to belong to a cowboy that traveled between Canada and the U.S. breaking horses. This was in the early 1900's a fellow just wonders what is still laying around out there.
Bill

Tom

The metal detector suggestion is a great one.

I like your picture.  We should all be taking pictures of stuff like that, regardless of how unimportant it seems.  Cabins like that are history.  We never think to take pictures of old buildings, streets in our home towns, the homes or gates of locally famous people; even non-famous people can be made to be famous through an old picture.

Just think of how excited people get when they find and old newspaper in a wall.  We don't take enough pictures.

How many times have folks wished they had pictures of the old courthouse, or the old railroad station after it was torn down?

shinnlinger

Cool pics, Why would they celebrate Guy Fawkes in Australia???  Didn't he try to blow up the ENglish parliament "back in the day"
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Here is one that I found on a Colorado mountain in '09.  I'll bet that it could tell some stories.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

QuoteThe metal detector suggestion is a great one

It would be great to snoop around these old huts and mine diggings with a metal detector. I am fortunate with my job that I get around a lot of these sites, I am always on the lookout for old blacksmith forged iron implements. A lot of the mining in this rugged area was done by the Chinese, its incredible how they ran water from the river for miles. To get the water to run up hill they had wide shutes running into narrow ones, these were often cut out of solid granit.

QuoteWhy would they celebrate Guy Fawkes in Australia??? 

We are a funny bunch down under, we are quick to forgive and forget and make heros out of  Bushrangers. When I get a chance I will take some pics of an old local Bushranger (Thunderbolts) hangout.

Magicman nice pics, it funny how most of our mountain shacks are made of split slabs and you guys have a lot of round log huts/cabins.

Some really good examples of our oldest standing slab structures are shearing sheds.   
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Tom

QuoteWe are a funny bunch down under, we are quick to forgive and forget

You are downright dexterious too.  You gotta hand it to you fellows, being able to hang on so tight and all that.  Even those old decrepit houses haven't turned loose and fallen off of the earth.  I think I might have it figured out though.  Y'all wear Gum Boots and that Euc Gum is sticky stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out how you weigh your fish.  :-\ :-\

:)

Shotgun

Quote from: Tom on April 08, 2011, 02:06:30 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you weigh your fish.  :-\ :-\

Probably they hook 'em on the scale in the tail, instead of in the mouth.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Most 19c cabins here have burnt up in forest fires. But, quite a few 40 and 50's camps still being used. My gramp's camps from the 50's are still used, but his first camp from the 20's is long gone. We know where it stood and I also have a photo here. This is a hunting sport in the door way I assume. I think my uncle may know who it was, most came from the US. I think that torn paper on the camp wall was a notice the guides were required to post.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CX3

cool pics everyone thanks for sharing them
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!