iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

aint she pretty!!!

Started by road_monkey, March 10, 2012, 08:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

road_monkey

picked this 1974 franklin 130 AXL up this week.  the 353 detroit took water down the exhaust, and the block already has 2 patches on it, so I'm looking for a replacement. I got there just in time, they were prepping it for the scrapyard, removed blade ( which I got)  drained the fluids.   any opinions on this machine?

rick f

put a fresh 3-53 back in. You can if them rebuilt.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

lumberjack48

Yes she is pretty, nice straight machine. Take the motor out, have the head checked out, the motor its self might be all right you never know  May be you can put a rebuilt head and on, your off an running.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Nice machine good look like the same condition my Pettibone is in except for the motor. Good see another old skidder saved from the scrap yard! ;)
Precision Firewood & Logging

road_monkey

I have a line on a low hour 353 from a paver. I wont rebuild this one because it already has a patch on each side of the block.

jocco

I worked with a coupe guys that had them. Very good little machine I understand some parts are getting scarce now. Some had a cradle in the back and was very stabile. You will be ahead to put a differnt motor in if it is that bad. Some had lite planateries some were franlin others put rockwell in them. Some had odd gearing in the tranny and rearend guess that could be the biggest problem. The franklin winch was very stout. If you got it right you  can fix it up and have a nice machine. ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

tapper2

Where are you in upstate NY.? I have an old Franklin that I put a Chevy engine in.  I love that skidder you've got there. ;D
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

road_monkey i love those old skidders, heres a little different pace, all you guys grab your wife an dance to road_monkeys skidder. Thats one thing i really miss, is dancing, we went every weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it20dB3ohCY
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

road_monkey

ha ha.. not sure if she's ready to be danced to......

looks like #2 wanted to get out

zopi

it'll run better iffin ya paint it orange.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

road_monkey

nope....she's gunna be  GREEN!! 8) 8)

sandhills

Thanks for posting that lumberjack, I got my wife out in the kitchen and she tried, she really tried to teach me the jitterbug but I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to dancing.  I hope one day we can all meet (at a pig roast maybe) I think you'd really like her.  Now back on the subject at hand, not real familiar with skidders around here but after watching a lot of videos of them I can't believe how straight she is, fix her up and run her, I've never bought anything I didn't have to work on before I could use it  ;D.

bushmechanic

Alpine green is the only way to go!Are you going to rebuild that engine?Whoever did the patch work did a good job-not pretty but there is no sign of any oil seepage around the welding,do you know how hard that is to accomplish on a Detroit.Don't be scared off by those patches-take it down and see what is exactly wrong with it.Good luck.

road_monkey

nope, not putting money into a patched block, as I may want to sell it when I get it done.  people (including me ) run the other way when they see a patch on a block.  I have a buddy with a salvage yard, he says $1500 for a low hour, good runner from a paver. just gotta wait for him to get back from florida......

road_monkey

todays progress:

should have it up and running in a few days

lumberjack48

Looking good, your having all the fun. Thats the way to pickup those Detroit's cheap out of road equipment.

DeerMeadowFarm

road_monkey

things have changed here. my buddy upgraded his dozer, so I bought his old 450B with winch.  guess I dont really need a dozer with a winch and a skidder, so she's gotta go. I'll post pics/details in the for sale section shortly.   (315) 269-0181

road_monkey

adding on to my thread from a few years ago...I bought this tree farmer that needs work.

4 days later my neighbor was over, and offered me his timberjack 225. 

so I had to have that too.  8) 8)   that is why the tree farmer is in the for sale section.

lopet

It's like a addiction. Isn't it ??????
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: lopet on September 13, 2015, 09:08:00 AM
It's like a addiction. Isn't it ??????
The equipment addiction is still cheaper than the female addiction, and you've got something to show for it.  :D :D :D. 

ga jones

Did you find a home for the c5 yet? I talked to you about it but decided I've got enough on my plate right now. great project for someone.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

road_monkey

Warped

That tree farmer looks like it has axle problems........................ok, so I read it in all his craigslist ads. I think he posted it in every area of NY :D :D :D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

road_monkey

"That tree farmer looks like it has axle problems........................ok, so I read it in all his craigslist ads. I think he posted it in every area of NY"

haha.... that tells me you were searching in every area of NY for a skidder!! 

lynde37avery

i wish i could give that treefarmer a home. but i just bought my 208. if i had the spare coin id get down and dirty n fix that tractor up.
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!