iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lesson from Hurricane Charley/Frances (laughs)

Started by DonE911, September 14, 2004, 07:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

Any FL guys/girls should enjoy these.

1. An oak tree on the ground looks four times bigger than it did standing up.
2. When house hunting look for closets with lots of leg room.
3.  Water from the shower is much colder than from the kitchen sink.
4. AA, C, D - the only alphabet we need (batteries)
5.  The four way stop is an ingenious reflection of civility.
6.  Chainsaw wielding men are nothing to be affraid of.
7.  Its your GOD GIVIEN right to sit on your back porch and drink warm beer in your underware.
8.  There is no useless tool in the garage. We really do need generators.
9.  You cant spell "priceless" without I-C-E.
10.  The lifeblood of any disaster recovery is COFFEE.

There's more but this is long enough.

CHARLIE

Don, I've been keeping in touch with some of my childhood friends in Fort Pierce and y'all really got hit hard. I reckon the biggest aggravation though is "No Power"  (Kevin! Get down there and get the power turned on! ;D ),  My Uncle lost 2 freezers full of Moose, Caribou, Bear, Hog and Deer. Had a generator but no gas to run it. Couldn't get gas either.  My father-in law lost 2 freezers full of fish, shrimp and lobster. Has a generator and is using it to save a 3rd freezer of seafood.

Something most people that ain't from Florida don't realize, but not only is it HOT down there and the humidity is high, but there is no A/C, no fans, and the windows were still boarded up just in case Ivan came that way (that means you can't open the windows). Need water?  Then you have to go get bottled water which means standing in line. Need gasoline?  Find a station that has some and then wait in line.

Driving ain't much fun either. No stop lights and many signs are down. Take your life into your own hands and watch for cars coming from the other way.

One friend had his office windows blown in. Now, his file cabinets are rusting and mold is growing very well in there.

It just ain't fun down there right now.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Those are good, Don, and so true. Having a sense of humor about these situations sure helps to ease the pain.  I've been so lucky, so far. These things keep aiming at me and missing. Reminds me of an old Mark Twain quote: "Nothing is quite so exhilarating as being shot at.....and missed."  :D

Charlie, the word is that there was plenty of gas down there, but no power to pump it. It seems like they would put a little priority on providing gensets to get things moving. Of course, then folks would gripe about them helping out the businesses. If I had a retail business in a coastal area, I'd sure have a back-up generator. One day's business would pay for a pretty DanG good one when everybody else is dead in the water.

The pace is really picking up around here, except on I-10. There, the pace is really slow. Last night, it was slower than a walk, if not stopped altogether. Some of the traffic is Frances refugees just trying to get back home, and being caught up in the Ivan evacuation. Why don't some of these people shuck the $3 for a DanG roadmap? The back roads are wide open!  Soon as daylight breaks, I'll go look at the situation for myself.

Watching the Panama City tv station as I type this. They are bugging out of there by the thousands. One county even has a "rumor control hotline."  Some people have already been in the shelters for a day or two, just to make sure they get a spot. ::) ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DonE911

Charlie,

If there is anything I can do for your local folk, feel free to ask.  I can't get the power on any faster..... but law enforcement issues I can help with.

I have about 5 employee's that are also homeless, but they are working every day.... can't get FEMA or Insurance agents to work any faste for us than anyone else.  

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all are REALLY gonna like this.  >:( >:(

I called my insurance agent this afternoon, to see if I had a claim number assigned to me. (I've NEVER filed a claim, so, I was curious)  The girl says, THE claims inspector was on VACATION, and HE is still helping Charley claiments.   Can anyone top THAT ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

GF

Fla_D
   Wonder if he was vacationing in Florida some where?  :D

Fla._Deadheader

I will DEFINITELY ask him when I see him. ::) ;) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

Good news.....  

Good old Jeb has ordered all insurance companies to have teams inplace in the effected counties from Hurricane Frances no later than 11:30am on 09/16/04.

Vacation is now canceled.  Call again... if they give you the vacation story advise them to call the Florida Insurance Commision Office to confirm the order.  I'm sure them don't want the State to jump on them...   The same happened after Charley so I think they will get the picture.

My companies teams are stagged in Orlando, but now they must move operations and actually go to work.... they had not planned to come in until late next week.

Fla._Deadheader

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO 8) 8) 8)

Bout DanG time.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Short time ago, Ole CK stated they don't get these storms where he lives.  :o     CK, keep yer head down, Son. Here comes Ivan, up front and personal.  Stay safe. :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!