iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help choosing blade type

Started by dirtmotor, February 07, 2017, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmotor

Ok , I am a newbie to this forum and to band saw mills , I bought a used Oliver mill which works great but Mr. Oliver never made a owners manual for his mills , any how its time to order some blades and there seems to be a lot of options out there , its a 20 hp manual mill and the blades that came with it are 1 1/4 x 7/8 x 45 thick I cut mostly green red and white oak is this the correct blade or do I need to go with a 1 14 x 3/4 x 42 ?

4x4American

It's trial and error if you ask me...I see alot of guys on those small mills run .042" blades.  I think the reason is the small band wheels they want maximum flex life (and the thinner the blade, less material being
removed, less hp used).  I don't know about the 3/4" tooth spacing, again, it's trial and error.  7/8" pitch is most common on sawmills, whereas resaws run 1/2" or so for a smoother cut. 
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Don't know about performance differences between the configuration you give but would think that tooth/gullet shape in either one would make more difference than switching between the two.  I would settle on only one of the two configurations you name, giving weight to blade cost, availability in different tooth styles, and ease of getting resharpened.

I have only used  Wood-Mizer 045 x 7/8 x 1-1/4 blades, in different tooth styles.  Red oak is very forgiving but I choose either 7 or 10 degree blades to cut it.   On the other hand I always do best with white oak using a 4 degree blade.  There is something very good about the white oak/4 degree blade combination on my mill.   My mill is 42HP, so your results might vary.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

Go with what came on it, if they were working,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dustyhat

I would say go with the size posted also, as far as brand thats up to you but myself i have used every brand available and have settled  on Simmons red streak. 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, dirtmotor!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dirtmotor

thanks for the help , I will stick to what was on it

Thank You Sponsors!