iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill decision

Started by Barney67, October 04, 2018, 02:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney67

After much back and forth with myself about wants, needs and budget, I ordered an EZ Boardwalk Model 40 with 28HP motor and 6 feet of track extension. Should be sawing in a few weeks. 8)

EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill Barney!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

I'd like one of those with around 35' of track to handle the big and long logs, good choice.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawyerTed

Congratulations!  We look forward to seeing what you saw!  Good luck and keep us up to date!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Barney67

Bruno of NH

They are a well built mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

farmfromkansas

Have heard that they turn the log to you eliminating the need for a debarker.  Is that true?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

hturner12

Congrats. Stanton and his sons  are super to work with. I was hoping to get my JR to the woods this weekend but the tractor had other ideas. If you did not get the tow package you will need a 3/4 " wrench or socket  for everything. The tow package has 2 smaller bolts 
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

samandothers

Congratulations!  Gotta be pictures!

Peter Drouin

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping Good for you.  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Skipper11A

Congrats, Barney.  I hope you got the trailer package, it comes with the log turning winch.  Also, peaveys work better than cant hooks on that mill.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Barney67

I did order the trailer kit as well.

Skipper, I'm thinking I'll get a 48" hook and 60" peavey to start with.

Kansas, I defer to your question to someone else, I have zero experience turning logs into lumber.

E-Tex

smiley_thumbsup  Congrats on your new mill!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

hturner12

Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill. I'm sure glad that I upgraded to the EZ Jr. from what I had. These are some great machines.

thecfarm

hturner12,I suppose that one is yours?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hturner12

Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Barney67

Update. A couple weeks ago I cut down a pine and a scruffy looking water oak so I'd have something ready to saw when I got the mill.

There's some poplar back there I need to get down soon too.

Went to visit my daughter and grandson and I see my SIL has a nice stack of pine and oak down for me. The most important thing is bossman's happy we got logs to saw.

Barney67

Left early Sunday morning for Missouri, spent the night in Hannibal, arrived at EZ Boardwalk Monday morning. Stanton and son were super easy to deal with. Made it home about midnight Monday, around 1700 miles round trip.

First log on the mill, got a 10' 6x6, some 1x2's and kept some 1x6's that were too purty to make into stickers. ;D

Great to finally be sawing. smiley_thumbsup

WV Sawmiller

Nice hat on the boss man. Camo pattern looks awful familiar. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Congrats on picking up the mill!  Glad you got to make some saw dust .

hturner12

Quote from: Barney67 on October 31, 2018, 09:10:08 PM
Left early Sunday morning for Missouri, spent the night in Hannibal, arrived at EZ Boardwalk Monday morning. Stanton and son were super easy to deal with. Made it home about midnight Monday, around 1700 miles round trip.

First log on the mill, got a 10' 6x6, some 1x2's and kept some 1x6's that were too purty to make into stickers. ;D

Great to finally be sawing. smiley_thumbsup

I did that same thing  except I detour over  to Jerrys to pickup a couple  of ripper 37 blades. I stayed in St Louis on the way up and Nashville on the way back. 
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Skipper11A

Nice!  You're going to be really happy with that log turning winch. That thing works great but make sure the cable stays inside the reel before you start cranking or you will destroy the cable ( the cable wants to jump out of the reel and get wedged beside the reel).

When you start turning logs 24" and wider, you'll appreciate how that peavey can reach under and move the big logs with the EZ Boardwalk.

There's one quirk about the EZ Boardwalk that is difficult to explain but now that you have one you will understand.  That sawmill clamps logs on the wrong side of the mill, and the cam style clamps are impossible to use when you only need fine adjustments.  So I keep 3 standard size vise grips on my mill at all times.  Once I get a flat side down on the bunks, I don't use the log clamps at all.  Instead, I clamp the vise grips on the bunks to stop the log or cant from sliding across the mill.  This works great and your sawmill can't go low enough to hit the vise grips.  You will have to leave several boards on top of the cant (for weight) as you get towards the bottom of your cant.

Barney67

Thanks for the input and comments everyone, no sawing today with all the rain.

Hugh, I ordered and received a set of the Ripper 37 7 degree blades last week, hope to try one out on some oak in the next couple days.

Skipper, already had the cable jump off the reel, didn't have the log centered on the winch ( the lone, solitary log I've loaded) :embarassed:. Thanks for the vice grip tip, I was having difficulty yesterday getting the clamping right, seems easy to over clamp and unsquare (?) the cant.

I hit something yesterday that instantly dulled the blade and it slowed and started to dive. Didn't really see anything but a dark smear where it happened, this would have been about 30' up the tree, maybe a pitch pocket? I seem to remember someone mentioning hard pitch pockets in SYP.

Thank You Sponsors!