iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brilliant idea for slab firewood making

Started by Percy, January 23, 2016, 07:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

That looks neat. It needs an elevated platform to stand on to feed it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Agree with Dave. Awkward to lift edgings and slabs into that trough.. must be a better way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Percy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 23, 2016, 08:25:22 PM
Or use the dragback to send the slab there for hands free processing.... 8)

Dave Shepard

Even better! I'm looking for a shaving mill designed to take slabs like a chipper. (As opposed to a box that moves back and forth). I'd probably have to debark, however.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 23, 2016, 08:25:22 PM

X2 (or is it 3). Neat machine but don't like the loading process shown. I did not see where the shorts went. Are they falling out somewhere?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Percy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 23, 2016, 09:10:29 PM
Even better! I'm looking for a shaving mill designed to take slabs like a chipper. (As opposed to a box that moves back and forth). I'd probably have to debark, however.
What do you do with the shavings?? We have waaaay too many slabs getting burnt. Cant givem away. Folks said they may buy slab firewood if it was already bucked. My mill is elevated enough that I could feed this off the end of my rollcase automatically and maybe the lazy folks would buy it....

thecfarm

I like the design,no belt to feed the saw,but does need a higher platform to feed it. I wonder if they was just trying it out or maybe someone that goes from sawmill to sawmill to get free slabwood.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Percy, I would use them for animal bedding. It's up to $5 a bag now, and no local source for bulk sawdust or shavings.

Hilltop366

Slick rig, no hydraulics so should be relativity inexpensive to build, having to load the slabs up high would be a pain but does offer a safety factor as it would be difficult for someone to fall in the chute.

Percy

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 24, 2016, 08:58:53 AM
Slick rig, no hydraulics so should be relativity inexpensive to build, having to load the slabs up high would be a pain but does offer a safety factor as it would be difficult for someone to fall in the chute.
My mill is high enough that I can do it easy....but I wonder if I spend all that time and money and cant get rid of it. This vid shows what Im talkin about. its at the end where the slab rolls downhill. Id replace that thing with this contraption and a piling conveyor....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbp_O1cnsg

DGK

Hi Percy,

I bundle my slabs into 8' lengths of approximately 1/2 cord each. The cutting, loading and strapping of the slabs is done by my off-bearer while I am opening up the log. I incorporated this method into my workflow as I noticed that the off-bearer had time on his hands during this part of the milling process. It is not costing me any more to process the slabs other than the strapping material. Once in a bundle, I have found it easier to handle and sell the bundles than just loose in a large slab pile. The additional benefit is that it keeps the yard neat.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 24, 2016, 08:45:42 AM
Percy, I would use them for animal bedding. It's up to $5 a bag now, and no local source for bulk sawdust or shavings.

You might want to look a little harder at the bagging idea.  You have to have dry shavings, or they'll turn moldy.  It's not hard to dry shavings, but its still another process.  Also, baggers are expensive as they compact the shavings in the bag.  You have to turn some volume in order to pay for the equipment.  That means you would either have to buy in shavings or buy in wood to keep it running.  We sold bulk volume of sawdust by the trailerload.  We had a walking floor trailer to unload.  Check out how much one of those cost. 

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that it gets fairly involved with more labor added. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grizzly

Or just use live rolls to keep feed pressure similar to gravity? Percy I'd really like to know more about your build as I've been looking for this kind of solution for a while. I use all my slabs in the boiler but need the breakdown so I can feed it.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on January 25, 2016, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 24, 2016, 08:45:42 AM

You might want to look a little harder at the bagging idea.  You have to have dry shavings, or they'll turn moldy.  It's not hard to dry shavings, but its still another process.  Also, baggers are expensive as they compact the shavings in the bag.  You have to turn some volume in order to pay for the equipment.  That means you would either have to buy in shavings or buy in wood to keep it running.  We sold bulk volume of sawdust by the trailerload.  We had a walking floor trailer to unload.  Check out how much one of those cost. 

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that it gets fairly involved with more labor added.

I'm not going to bag any. My sister is buying by the bag, as that is the only source for bedding. It will be used in bulk.

Percy

Quote from: Grizzly on January 25, 2016, 12:35:39 PM
Or just use live rolls to keep feed pressure similar to gravity? Percy I'd really like to know more about your build as I've been looking for this kind of solution for a while. I use all my slabs in the boiler but need the breakdown so I can feed it.

Lyle
Heya Lyle.
Check this slab cutter out. Its more complex than the one  above but is able to do it easily at ground level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXOpNU0-pzI

kensfarm

Quote from: Grizzly on January 25, 2016, 12:35:39 PM
I use all my slabs in the boiler but need the breakdown so I can feed it.

If you chipped your slabs..  could set up an auger that feeds your boiler like a pellot stove.. but use a bigger auger from farming.

Grizzly

Percy - that would be perfect! Now all I gotta do is save up the money, but an edger comes first.

(I think I'm confused...........my sawmill is still for sale elsewhere in the forum!!)  :D :D

Kensfarm - but how do you feed the chips in? With the coal stoker it bottom feeds and I've been warned that it will back burn into the bin. Top feed somehow? I've been thinking about that but couldn't find a method.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!