iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my Woodmizer MP360.......Finally...

Started by Percy, January 18, 2019, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Got the unit after nearly an 8 month wait.....Canada's electrical codes being the major hurdle(allthough there are many 360's in Canada under the Logosol brand that meet Canadian electrical codes). 

Got to making chips finally. First job was "channel siding"

It had to be 7/8 inch thick and rough on the exposed side. Ran all the 2500 board feet of 1x8x8 through with just the top head spinning, thickness planing to 7/8. Then ran it thru again profiling as seen above....lots of work. I need to build a more user friendly input and output system to save on the back....Bending over was the motiff of the day. 

If my resaw was not down for repairs, it would have been much quicker to size with it.

My 50kw genset runs like a top. I had to reconfigure it because Woodmizer wasn't able to supply a 460 volt unit....I am learning lots about three phase.....and regulations......Did it all myself.....lots of reading...

Here it is on the "profiling" pass

My new molder - YouTube

The machine works quite well except for the up/down indicator...Its an anolog counter{like the numbers in an old speedometer)and is pretty much 
useless. After a hangup you cant find your mark. The wide profile channel was done with the top head and needed to be dangerously close to the steel fence. I trusted the indicator only once with near catastrophic results. Gary from woodmizer said to go below the intended spot and come upto it....like tuning a guitar......Still useless...can be about 1/4 inch out......I think I may attach a digital caliper to  the appropriate stationary and moveable portions and just turn it on when I need it...Any suggestions???
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

I have one of these Digital planer gauge   on my 4000. Works perfectly, I set my zero at 3/4" so I reference from there. Double checking with a micrometer it stays within .001" all the time.  If I get a snag I just back off enough to get the issue fixed and then bring it back to zero, don't have to waste the work piece that way. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Quote from: Southside logger on January 18, 2019, 02:36:24 PM
I have one of these Digital planer gauge   on my 4000. Works perfectly, I set my zero at 3/4" so I reference from there. Double checking with a micrometer it stays within .001" all the time.  If I get a snag I just back off enough to get the issue fixed and then bring it back to zero, don't have to waste the work piece that way.
Thanks. This is the type of unit Im looking for...Unfortunatly they only ship to US addresses. There are similar units available so I will hunt around.

Edit: Found the same unit from a Canadian supplier so we are all good.. Thanks again
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!