iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

661 vs. 395XP

Started by Dave Shepard, March 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Just curious how they compare. My 395 has been a great saw. 661 was not available when I bought it. I know the 660 was not an 066, so I ruled that out right away. Just wondering if the 661 had caught up with the 25 year old Husky technology. (Spring suspension and air injecgion).
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HolmenTree

It's actually about 28 years technology if you include the 394XP.

I never ran a MS661 but I do own several 066's since new and I just sold my 395XP that I bought new in 2010.
I can't  say my 395XP had any special advancements. I'll  trade any spring Anti vibe and air injection for just one side chain tensioner that Stihl invented back in the early 1980's.

I hated that 395XP with that  awkward old school front tensioner screw, not to mention the screws falling out and the weight and bulk of that thing.
Plus the old school separate choke and on off switch from the 1970's.

Stihl invented the master control switch in 1977 on the 042.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Dave Shepard

I hate the master control. It forces you to start he saw at full throttle. I never have to start my Husky saws at full throttle. Side tensioner would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. 066s haven't been available in a long time. Takes them out of the equation, too. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

Dumb question , but I'm sure you have a reason. What possessed you to buy the husky in 2010, if stihl had them beat since the 80's.

Around here it is probably real close to 50 50 split between the two used by professional loggers, I tend to think some of it is brand loyalty, but maybe even more is dealer loyalty.

I am just talking between husky and stihl, not 395 to 661, those are not real popular saws here.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mad murdock

I will stick with the 395XP not a Stihl fan. I have run them in the woods full time, and I though they are good also, I just like the husky better. Been real dependable for me. I also am not a fan of the master control. Never have been a fan of that configuration. The flippy caps neither. My 395 has a dual port muffler and has plenty of power. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 02, 2018, 10:09:27 PM
I hate the master control. It forces you to start he saw at full throttle. I never have to start my Husky saws at full throttle. Side tensioner would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. 066s haven't been available in a long time. Takes them out of the equation, too.

HolmenTree says:

Master control switches don't start at full throttle :D
Only half throttle.
Most of the new generation XP Husqvarna's have now copied Stihl's master control switch, laid back cylinders, side chain tensioners and thermal insulated rubber intake manifolds. Husqvarna even tried to copy the flippy caps but they just couldn't get it right.
Quote from: starmac on March 02, 2018, 10:37:00 PM
Dumb question , but I'm sure you have a reason. What possessed you to buy the husky in 2010, if stihl had them beat since the 80's.

Around here it is probably real close to 50 50 split between the two used by professional loggers, I tend to think some of it is brand loyalty, but maybe even more is dealer loyalty.

I am just talking between husky and stihl, not 395 to 661, those are not real popular saws here.

HolmenTree says:

Just dealer loyalty.
Since I started making a living with a saw, first I ran Jonsereds for 7 years,  Stihl for 26 years and for the last going on 11 years I ran Huskies with a MS261CM thrown in last year.

Since 2006 when I bought my first Husqvarna a new 372XP , I retired my Stihl's  . Reason was my major sponsor for my chainsaw competitions that I was a director and organizing for since the early 1990's became a Husqvarna dealer. And that dealer did 10 times more then what my old Stihl dealer sponsor did.
My competition events for our community winter festival was dying from the negativity,  lack of interest and funds of that Stihl dealer .

But in the last year my Husqvarna dealer dropped his Husqvarna  franchise because of turmoil over warranties and other poor dealer support along with an expensive ride on mower that got stolen during shipping and my dealer had to pay for it out of his own pocket...he never got a another mower for replacement from Husqvarna .

Anyways another business took over the Husqvarna franchise and is still sponsoring my event.  I have since last month put on another successful competition at the winter festival, but I am no longer the director and organizer.
Since moving to a new town 4 hour drive from my old one of 25 years, I donated my competition stage trailer and all the other equipment to the Northern Manitoba Trappers Festival in my old home town. The festival's board of directors have a new director who has replaced me.  All I do now is just go down every 3rd week of February weekend and help run the competition.
Effort well spent, our festival has been operating for a full 71 years.

Now back to Stihl saws. For the last 11 years I have bought many different models of Husqvarnas. I recently sold them all except for 2. I put my 066's back into service joining my MS261 and in the next few months I will be buying a couple of more new Stihl's............

HolmenTree

Quote from: mad murdock on March 02, 2018, 11:08:50 PM
I will stick with the 395XP not a Stihl fan. I have run them in the woods full time, and I though they are good also, I just like the husky better. Been real dependable for me. I also am not a fan of the master control. Never have been a fan of that configuration. The flippy caps neither. My 395 has a dual port muffler and has plenty of power.
Well Murdock you better get used to the master control switches because all the new generation Husqvarna's have switched to them with more new models to come.
Even back in the day the Jonsereds like ths 630 670 920s had semi master control switches where the choke and fast idle were combined.
Husqvarna who had the same parent company as Jonsered  went another dozen years  before they took Jonsered's cue and combined the choke fast idle.

mad murdock

I know you are in the know about these things more than most any other HT, I guess I will have to conform to what is available. Maybe I am too old fashioned. I wish that the 10 series McC's we're still available. Would love to have an SP81E or modern variant as my daily driver, but alas, that is but a dream as it will never be.  
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Skeans1

I've got a few newer huskies with the master it's an easy to operate one vs Stihl plus it's not a wide open start after choke.

A 661, 660, 066 aren't in the same class as a 395 they're closer to a 390 but are heavier, harder on the hands, and more expensive. I'd choose a 395 if I know I'm pulling longer bars all day it's not that much heavier, it's has more torque, out board clutch, and that in board adjuster screw is nice for a 60" bar. 

weimedog

Was waiting for some one to point out the 'class" difference ( 661 = 390 class & 395/3120 for specific applications )
Control details usually aren't the absolute "buy vs. sell" issues to drive a person away from a preferred brand unless something else has happened to create a "riff". For a person just getting into the saw world those along with other factors such as dealer AND price can sway a decision. TO hammer that point....I like my clone 660's and will restore an OEM version simply because I like them more than anything else. But as always folks have their own blend of the emotional/logic. My favorite logger does everything with a Husqvarna 390. Everything. Period. Limbing,Felling, bucking...With a 24in long bar. I can argue to the end of time the merits of my favored 562's (And will try again with the 572's) but....when he gets out to where he's cutting its a 390xp he grabs. And up until a few years ago, that first "grab" for him was for a MS660. Took a few significant things to happen to change his direction. (none relative to the reliability OR performance of the 660's btw...) Me? I LIKE the inboard clutches on the 660's ( And some of the Husky's ) and can remember someone vigorously arguing the merits of an out board clutch for saws like the 562's..:) I like my 562's as well even though I'm not thrilled with its outboard clutch....back to point "1"....:)

( I like my 441 project saw too.....trying to understand all the "hate" for them..bottom line for me is just enjoy saws, all brands. And will go from one to the next on a whim vs. anything logical or some feature. Husqvarna 562's now the "favorite", McCulloch's tomorrow, back to the Stihl 441's this spring..)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM
Just curious how they compare. My 395 has been a great saw. 661 was not available when I bought it. I know the 660 was not an 066, so I ruled that out right away. Just wondering if the 661 had caught up with the 25 year old Husky technology. (Spring suspension and air injection).
In my most humble opinion...yes. But the 441c was close too, and thats been out for a while with its spring anti vib,  strato design, auto tune, AND last but not leasts a derivative of Jonsered's air injection..:) so you could argue Stihl had caught up years ago..LOL! I think a fun comparison is between the Husqvarna 576 and the Stihl 441c BTW...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Dave Shepard

I should have known better than to stir up the chainsaw trolls.  ::) I was just curious how they compared. Not interested in fighting or brand loyalty. I have great respect for both Stihl and Husky. In March 2014, the 395 was the only saw in that size with spring suspension and air injection. No spring suspension, not going to buy it. Husky's air filtration is also hard to beat. Probably a 100 tanks through this saw, never had to clean the air filter. 

Dave Shepard

I probably should have just asked for a comparison of the 660 and 661.

ZeroJunk

I'm a saw mechanic if you use that term loosely enough. I have rebuilt 394's , 395's , 066's, MS660's. Haven't had a MS661 yet.
And, I have cut quite a bit with all of them before I sent them back to the owner.

I don't see anything better about one or the other to swing anybody's opinion.

It's a little like asking somebody what is the best whatever. And, what is the better whatever is which ever one they have.

ehp

I have owned both and ran both lots. Just me ok but I would take the 395 over the 661 . First off I feel the 395 is a better built saw , yes its older but if your making your living running a saw everyday then I want a saw that gives me less trouble and that will be the 395 . All these new saws are having trouble and just wait a couple years of running on them and see what all breaks and what it will cost to fix them. 395 is a pretty tried and true setup .

HolmenTree

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 02, 2018, 08:32:19 PM
 Just wondering if the 661 had caught up with the 25 year old Husky technology. (Spring suspension and air injecgion).
Dave, I think if you make a comment be prepared for alot of answers Hahaha.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 03, 2018, 08:52:58 AM
Husky's air filtration is also hard to beat. Probably a 100 tanks through this saw, never had to clean the air filter.

Dave, if it got any easier you wouldn't even have to file your chain. :D

OH logger

I started logging with an 066 than got a 660. I bought the 066 tired and it finally blew up.  the 660 got stolen out of the back of my truck. that was one of the best days of my life. I switched to 395s and never been happier. the stihls side tensioner sucks in my opinion. the screw was always breakin for me and at that time you had to buy the whole kit ($25) for just the bolt. its prolly like $50 now. if I remember right there was also a rubber boot on the air intake at the carb that kept tearin if I got even a little rough with it tryin to get unstuck. never had any of those issues with the 395s and I ve done a lot of runnin em. the whole air intake system of the 395s beats the heck out of the contant cleaning of the stihl air filters >:(.  I couldn't agree with what ehp said more
john

HolmenTree

Here's a pic of my 2008 395XP a couple of weeks ago after I cleaned her up and sold it to a local logging contractor .

He didn't stop there he also bought my "new" '93 272XP too, along with my 36" Alaskan mill and 30 feet of rails. Now I have to teach him how to mill cants and lumber ;D

Last pic is my true workhorse, my 1994 Stihl 090AV.  For over 20 years she milled alot of lumber with those rails, some beams 32 feet long. She even had a gig for a few months cutting Kraft paper rolls up to 12 hours a day.
I restored the 090, but only thing I didn't finish was recover the top handle with new hose and put on a new hand guard.
I just sold and shipped her off yesterday .

Southside

@Dave Shepard just go with this model and put the whole chainsaw debate to rest once and for all.  

Jetsaw Project - YouTube
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I bet you got top dollar for that 090 too. I am basically a husky guy and don't have a use for that size saw, but those 090's were a force to be reckoned with.

HolmenTree

Quote from: starmac on March 03, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
I bet you got top dollar for that 090 too. I am basically a husky guy and don't have a use for that size saw, but those 090's were a force to be reckoned with.
Yes those 090's were in a class all of their own. When you disable their governor they become another step up in performance.
I sold it with bars in  17", 36" and 60" with helper handle. Also 5 loops of Stihl 46RS, 46RSF and 46HM chain. Original owner's manual, brochure from Madsens, service manual , parts manual. Tools.

Spike60

Some of this stuff is really starting to get silly.  :D  I mean come on, to say that "Husky has now copied Stihl's master control" is a down right comical stretch of reality. The Husky control is completely different from the Stihl control. Other than the fact that each of them have one control on the saw, there is absolutely no similarity between them. And only the Husky control has the "return to on" feature.  :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Dave Shepard

Return to on. That's awesome. I always return to on with my saws manually. 

teakwood

return to on is a absolut must for me also, just grab the saw and pull the cord

The new MS462 has the "return to on" feature which is really nice. Every saw should have that feature
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 04, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Quote from: starmac on March 03, 2018, 10:01:09 PM
Yes those 090's were in a class all of their own. When you disable their governor they become another step up in performance.
I sold it with bars in  17", 36" and 60" with helper handle. Also 5 loops of Stihl 46RS, 46RSF and 46HM chain. Original owner's manual, brochure from Madsens, service manual , parts manual. Tools.
I can get you one of these, and you can really scratch the 070/090 itch...a birthday present?  ;D

US$ 223 - Complete Repair Parts For Stihl 070 090 Chainsaw Engine Motor Crankcase Crankshaft Cylinder Piston Chain Sprocket Cover Muffler Carburetor Handle Bar - www.huztl.net

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on March 04, 2018, 09:59:38 AM
Some of this stuff is really starting to get silly.  :D  I mean come on, to say that "Husky has now copied Stihl's master control" is a down right comical stretch of reality. The Husky control is completely different from the Stihl control. Other than the fact that each of them have one control on the saw, there is absolutely no similarity between them. And only the Husky control has the "return to on" feature.  :)
Bob,  you need to get up to date  :D
Latest Husqvarna series (550, 562 , 572) now have a Stihl design master control switch. Only difference in reverse.
Yes the new series Stihls master control switch have auto 0n like on my MS261CM ll.
Not sure of the 572XP but the 550 562 etc still have the extra step setting the fast idle after starting from cold.
My MS261CM ll sets the fast idle automatically. Push switch down, pull cord , saw starts up on fast idle, blip throttle then goes to idle.  

Spike60

Sorry Willard, but since you've become the online marketing director for Stihl Canada, some of your posts have become inaccurate and misleading. (Such as showing a pic of a Zama 346 carb to incorrectly state that 372's use a Chinese carb.) To refer to the Husky control switch as a "Stihl design" is hilarious. I suppose the first caveman to build a stone axe was also somehow pirating a Stihl design of some kind.

Senior members such as yourself that have been around for a while are looked up to as a source of accurate information. People in the saw community often ask our advice, and place a lot of trust in what we have to say. Thousands of people read our posts, or watch those videos that Walt and I do. Along with that reality, at least in my opinion, comes a greater responsibility to get it right.

You used to have that cred yourself; as good as anyone on any of these sites. But for whatever reason, a rather obvious bias has emerged over the past year or so, and IMO has greatly tarnished the contribution you are capable of making here.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

Quote from: Southside logger on March 03, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
@Dave Shepard just go with this model and put the whole chainsaw debate to rest once and for all.  

Jetsaw Project - YouTube
THATS some folks with serious skills and engineering. Really cool. wonder how long that plastic will survive with all that heat! Awesome concept & conversation piece.......who knows, another mini turbo jet powered mini generator with electric motor so there is throttle control?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

teakwood

Quote from: Jeff on March 04, 2018, 04:42:56 PM
popcorn_smiley smiley_gossip  smiley_whip whiteflag_smiley
 Wow, nice to see (once a year) our leader be prepared to enjoy the theater!!  Normally he is on the other side calming down  

teakwood

Quote from: Spike60 on March 04, 2018, 04:13:30 PMand IMO has greatly tarnished the contribution you are capable of making here.

I think that's a pretty harsh statement! Willard is a very valued senior member and has helped a lot of less experienced members, including me!
his 40 years of chainsaw experience is priceless for this forum and their members.
my 2 cents

ZeroJunk

There again, I can't see where how the controls work makes a hill of beans difference. Back to on might save you 1/10 of a second. Same with a separate choke or master control.

weimedog

Quote from: ZeroJunk on March 04, 2018, 05:45:12 PM
There again, I can't see where how the controls work makes a hill of beans difference. Back to on might save you 1/10 of a second. Same with a separate choke or master control.
Agree, those type of details aren't a "buy sell issue", we all learn to operate what is in front of us, and who cares who invented what at that level? The saw works or not, lasts or not. Ran a lot of old designs and enjoyed them just as much as the new ones. And still get great productivity out of the old, out dated 254's and 242...they have the simplest set up ever. So other than a cursory explanation, why go to the next level regardless if its true or false? I certainly don't need a non stop sales job over piddly stuff and don't need a non stop tirade of petty brand bashing either. Speaking for myself, I look to the more senior members for saw craft and saw experience. And this site has some excellent skill and knowledge sets available. One of the best web sites on the INTERNET in my most humble opinion.

As for the return to on...I like a positive & if possible separate "Off" switch. Although not having one wouldn't keep me from a saw choice, I have 562's and their jumbled multi function stuff. I learned to deal with it, same as my 660's. Maybe from the motorsports world, when things are going sideways, being able to positively get to "off" and release can be a good thing. Even if there is a dropped saw and damage where the saw is over reving or having other similar issues ...I want to turn it off, not hang onto a kill switch until it stops because there is a failure in the mechanism. Remember firearms training? A safety is a mechanical device that can fail? Also I Remember the Redmax inspired 543 and its switch as compared to others. BUT every one has a preference. Thats why there are different brands and models..:) AND the ultimate is the electric saws....best of both worlds in some regards. JUST an opinion, nothing more...:) I want a 5hp 14lbs electric saw with at least a 1/2 hr run time on a battery. And battery that cost less than 100 bucks! So I can carry them like I would a can of gas....

starmac

X2 on the electric, and I bet they are on the horizon, well maybe not the 100 dollar battery part, but I feel the saws are coming, going by the progress made the last few years on rechargable tools.

HolmenTree

Sorry I got everyone riled up :D
. This I promise is my last post on this thread. I'll leave it at that. :)

Now everyone take a deep breath and re read OP Dave's first post. Who is the troll? :D
Now seeing the chainsaw is a technology evolving "hand" held power tool.  Making tasks easier for the endusers "hands" through improved design whether he is a professional or just a casual user is always a good thing.

Now to Spike60 I am not attacking you or Husqvarna . I only originally responded to OP Dave's original post, then from there it naturally blossomed  into a great debate.

But you have to get your information straight on what I said on another thread weeks ago.
I did not say the 372XP had a Chinese Zama  carb. Only my 346XP had a Zama Chinese carb and I listed other Husqvarna models including some other latest XP models.
Someone did reply later "Well at least the 372Xp is not on that list.
I understand you're in defence mode right now. But as I said before I did not intend it to be that way.

I just answer and tell historical facts for what they are. :)

Dave Shepard

It would appear you did not read my OP before you made your first post. ;) You clearly state you have never used an MS661, then go on to bash Husky at length. 

realzed

::) :-*  8) :D :new_year:

Spike60

Well it's not my last post, cause as you say, I'm "riled up". Maybe I'll calm down tomorrow, but since I'm still wound up, let's have a little more fun..............

Clearly was stated in the other thread that "Husky XP carbs are China made". You wrote it; try to remember it acurately.

And in this thread: "Husqvarna even tried to copy the flippy caps, but couldn't get it right."

Really? I suppose "getting it right" would include things like coming up with several different caps that don't interchange with each other. And re-designing all of the fuel tanks with different threads so that caps could not be interchanged between newer and older saws.

Yup, Husky sure screwed up by designing a fuel cap that someone could use on older saws or even long discontinued models like a 288 or 2100 if they liked it.

And I'm sure disappointed that I don't have to stock a dozen or more different fuel tanks to accomodate all of those "Rubik's Cube" fuel caps. And my customers are totally disillusioned by the fact that when they come in and ask for a fuel cap, that I can actually give them one, in say about 5 seconds. They would much rather be annoyed by answering silly questions about which fuel cap will fit their saw and when it was bulit and then be over charged for it. Yeah, Husky sure didn't get the flippy caps right, did they.  :)

I am now going to calm down.   :laugh:
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jeff

Sounds like a real good idea. Otherwise, take it to the parking lot.

Spike60

Recieved and understood Jeff.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jeff

smoked

I also think the confidence you have in the dealer is important.  I was looking for a 90ish cc saw for hobby chainsaw milling.  The only husky dealer really close to me did not have any big saws in stock, would not come off MSRP and did not call me back when I had a foll-up question.  I was ready to buy.  

I went to the stihl shop.  They had a 661 set up exactly how I wanted it on the shelf, gave me a nice discount and threw in a couple of cool hats to boot.:D  They also gave me a 2 year warranty which some dealers buck on any pro saw.   I have been very happy with it so far.

Honestly,   
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Southside

Dealer satisfaction is huge.  I used to have both Husky and a 660 for my big stuff.  For whatever reason the 660 gave me a lot of trouble, we just did not get along.  It was at the dealer a lot, tweak this, change that, etc.  After he tuned it for me, and told me to run AV gas in it as my regular pump gas was supposedly my problem, she scored the jug and piston, I was done with the dealer after that, fixed it myself and it became a back up saw.  

Well one day my Husky was not running well so I tried to adjust the carb and managed to get it way out of adjustment.  Brought it to the closest small engine shop.  They told me the saw was junk and not worth fixing, had 10 psi of compression.  I knew this was wrong and found a Husky dealer about 15 more miles up the road.  Told the guys the whole story about how I know it runs good and that I was the dummy who messed the adjustment up on the carb.  They took the saw and called me the next day, said the saw was fixed, new plug, new air filter, and tuned it.  The bill was something like $15  . I have since bought two new 372's from this dealer and a whole lot of chain, bars, etc.  Dealer satisfaction makes all the difference.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

weimedog

I've seen evidence first hand and also heard stories like the last two posts. AND firmly believe that instead of bickering over a feature here and another there, the support ultimately plays a large part in the success of a saw from any of the major brands. I suspect if a person digs into the animus towards a brand by a person with experience with both over a long period of time.....that interaction with a particular brand through dealers plays a bigger role than anyone would like to admit. Its way easier to argue over specs and features. :)

AdkStihl

What I find hilarious is that there are people out there that dont know how a master control switch works....... :-X
J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Quote from: AdkStihl on March 18, 2018, 12:07:38 PM
What I find hilarious is that there are people out there that dont know how a master control switch works....... :-X
Yes some people are all thumbs even though Stihl designed it to be operated just with the thumb, with a  grip on the rear handle.
Here's the "Combi-Lever" introduction in February 1977. Notice the plain English on the cover..... :D

HolmenTree

To add to the last post from the 1977 article. 
I like this comment. :)

teakwood

Like the side chain tensioner 

Spike60

Well, there's the proof right there in black and white. Clrearly, the control switch on a 562XP was copied from that 40 year old Stihl design. I mean just look at that picture! How could I continue to argue that point in the face of such indisputeable evidence? I should not under estimate their engineering prowess. .

In fact last week I read a study that many historians are reasonably convinced that Andreaus Stihl actually wrote all of those plays normally attributed to Shakespeare.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

teakwood

HolmenTree

Sorry I hope I didn't revive any brand bashing. Enough of that.

Here's something interesting how to ID Stihl's age of saw manufacturer or the age of any Stihl parts you may have laying around.

Here's pics at the bottom of this post of the month clock symbol under the rear handle and top cover of my new MS261CM.
Notice the arrow on the white handle pointing to the 10th month (Oct) and the arrow pointing to R which is 2016.
The 2nd pic shows under the orange top cover the symbol has a arrow pointing to 10 and a R beside the arrow.
So this saw was manufactured Oct 2016.I bought new from the dealer in June 2017.

So for older saws go by this:
A- - - - - - - - Z
1973         1998

A- - - - - - - - T
1999         2018

My early 1986 064AV which is a 1985 manufacture date M model has a Dec 1984 L rear handle on it. Now the 064 introduction date was Jan 1 1986. So being a newly introduced saw the factory started in 1984 getting parts ready for the new 064 saws.

Spike60

Willard, I'm on board if you are. :)

Actually have another saw topic I'll bring up a little later that really does need your historical knowledge. (serious, not a joke)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Credit is due for Husqvarna what I show here.
One year   before the 042 with master control was introduced Husqvarna after only 17 years making chainsaws introduced the 240. A few months later the 162 and 2100.
First pic shows their first saw the A90 in 1959 to next pics to 17 yrs later in 1976.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on March 19, 2018, 01:55:40 PM
Willard, I'm on board if you are. :)

Actually have another saw topic I'll bring up a little later that really does need your historical knowledge. (serious, not a joke)
Just missed your post Bob. Yes I'll try help in the history dept.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 19, 2018, 12:44:48 PM
Sorry I hope I didn't revive any brand bashing. Enough of that.

Here's something interesting how to ID Stihl's age of saw manufacturer or the age of any Stihl parts you may have laying around.

Here's pics at the bottom of this post of the month clock symbol under the rear handle and top cover of my new MS261CM.
Notice the arrow on the white handle pointing to the 10th month (Oct) and the arrow pointing to R which is 2016.
The 2nd pic shows under the orange top cover the symbol has a arrow pointing to 10 and a R beside the arrow.
So this saw was manufactured Oct 2016.I bought new from the dealer in June 2017.

So for older saws go by this:
A- - - - - - - - Z
1973         1998

A- - - - - - - - T
1999         2018

My early 1986 064AV which is a 1985 manufacture date M model has a Dec 1984 L rear handle on it. Now the 064 introduction date was Jan 1 1986. So being a newly introduced saw the factory started in 1984 getting parts ready for the new 064 saws.

So I had to correct some dates on my quoted post above.
Here's a Stihl part manufacture date code sheet I wrote up.

ZeroJunk

Cool. I can figure out when my 066 was made. It's a little odd in that it has a poly flywheel, and a three screw ignition coil.
They don't even show that configuration on the spread sheet that gets posted all the time.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ZeroJunk on March 20, 2018, 05:27:52 PM
Cool. I can figure out when my 066 was made. It's a little odd in that it has a poly flywheel, and a three screw ignition coil.
They don't even show that configuration on the spread sheet that gets posted all the time.
Actually I got one right here.
This is my 1996 066 with poly flywheel and 3 screw mount 1122 400 1312 module. I haven't had the flywheel off but I believe it's a 1122 400 1217P.

teakwood

My 1997 is exactly the same

realzed

Willard - in your picture showing the 'R' - 10 clock on the orange plastic cover, there are a series of 3 part numbers with another clock and arrow to the left of them pointing to one of either.. #1141-084-0930-A or #1141-084-0932-A or #1141-084-0934-A.
Do you know what those 3 series of numbers refer to - might they be model revision numbers or??
My particular one is pointed to the first #1141-084-0930-A and has the right hand clock set at S -08 which I assume is Aug of 2017 from you number breakdown - but any idea on what the 3 sets of numbers to the left side of it mean?
Thx - Randy

HolmenTree

Randy, I don't know what those numbers stand for. Some sort of assembly line reference #'s. 
I was always told the #'s on Stihl parts don't always give a accurate part# to order from.
Maybe an experienced Stihl dealer or rep can help out.

realzed

Thanks Willard - no biggie - just curious.. 

labradorguy

This thread was a good read....

Stihl makes a fine saw, no doubt there. All I know is that when I'm in the woods with a 371XP or a 395XP, you'd better eat your Wheaties if you're gonna to keep up with me.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!