iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

edger question

Started by xlogger, January 04, 2018, 05:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I still think about adding an edger on. Change my mind day to day. I was watching Cook's youtube and on the 9 minute mark he ran a board thru and returned the board back over to adjust the movable blade and ran it thru again. Never ran a edger but why would he not adjust the movable blade and do both sides the first time?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

4x4American

He misjudged the cut is why and had to take more off...or was just demoing the roller returns.  Either way that happens less and less with practice and how often you figger the sales guy is running the edger
Boy, back in my day..

PA_Walnut

It's easy to misjudge and when the infeed grabs it, it's better/easier to just let it roll and do it again.
As 4x4 mentioned, experience helps, but I think lasers do a LOT also. I want to get green lasers on mine asap.

Having an edger changes everything: faster, easier, and more efficient. I have a Baker that is converted to a small diesel. It's a beast of a machine--eats up boards like a Japanese movie monster! You won't regret having one.

Of course, if your game is mobile sawing, then it could be a logistical issue.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

xlogger

I would think that adding lasers would be helpful. Don't hear much about people adding them. Cost or hard to see outside in the sunlight?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

PA_Walnut

There was a thread here a few months ago about it. Someone had my exactly machine (Baker) with some lasers on it which looked awesome.

I contacted the laser manufacturer in Canada about getting some and they said they'd send me some on demo to test out...kinda stalled-out, but not sure on my end or theirs. Gonna pick it back up as I have some edging to do soon. (soon as it gets a reasonable temp outside!)  :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

Once you get an edger and make you stickers with it you will never go back.
You can make a stack of stickers so fast.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

We run a lot of 3.5'' with our edger. Our fixed blade is 3.5'' from the side. That makes it so that we can run a straight edged board thru and come out with 2 3.5'' boards. We sometimes have to run the first cut on the moveable blade since the board may have a knot,flare, or bend that will not straighten up in 3.5''. So we would run it through to get a straight edge and run it back through to make boards.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

moodnacreek

If it's a board edger with one fixed saw, all you really need is one laser or shadow lite over the  fixed saw. The 2nd shift saw guide lite is much more complicated but great for an inexperienced operator.  On my edgers, I learned with no guide lites  and added one later; what a difference it made because you learn to follow the line.

B@kerLuke

Quote from: PA_Walnut on January 04, 2018, 06:45:14 AM
Having an edger changes everything: faster, easier, and more efficient. I have a Baker that is converted to a small diesel. It's a beast of a machine--eats up boards like a Japanese movie monster! You won't regret having one.

Of course, if your game is mobile sawing, then it could be a logistical issue.

Baker makes a portable version of their edger that functions the same, but comes on a trailer package for easy transport and setup.

xlogger

If I decide on getting one I don't do portable sawing, only saw here. But it would be nice to be able to move it around if needed. I was going to get one last year but decided on buying a slabber instead. New Year new toy.

tmbrcruiser

If you don't think you want to be mobile consider electric. I have a Baker edger with lasers and would never want to saw without the edger. But even if you are mobile an edger is a great step up. A straight edge lined up with the stationary saw the board can pass under would not have the limitations of a laser in bright light. So a quick measurement from the straight edge will let you judge the proper width for the movable blade.

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

PA_Walnut

Kbeitz,
Good idea about making stickers. I use breeze-dried fluted ones so haven't made any lately, but I really need to. Purchasing them is making me poor. They are AWESOME for troublesome material (like maple) but I have probably $10K in stickers tied up right now. :(

What's everyone using for sticker material?
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

moodnacreek

PA Walnut, when you use fluted stickers on maple can you leave them until it's dry or do you stack twice?

Thank You Sponsors!