iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SRW vs Dually Truck

Started by DR_Buck, January 14, 2017, 08:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I was poking around one of the RV forums I follow and came across this video.    It's the first time I've seen all these points made at one time.    I have experienced most of the examples cited in the video.  That's why I replaced my SRW F350 with a dually.    I ended up with the F450 because I couldn't find a 350 dually anywhere at the time.

https://youtu.be/yZN-x6Omx_8
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

samandothers

Thank you for posting!  That was a great video to understand the differences in the Dually and SRW.  I know it was a Ford comparison but probably applies with other vendors.   This topic comes up everyone and then but this really was educational.

Thanks again!

paul case

Salesman video.
He states with a pic of the dually that the length of the truck works in your  favor and with the pic of the SRW that the length of the truck works against you?

Lots of video there. Dont believe everything you see or hear.

Both have their good points. Both have their drawbacks in certian situations. If it was my daily driving vehicle and it wasnt always hooked up to a trailer srw. If it was 75% of the time hooked up to pull heavy loads DRW all the way. Personal preferance. Everybody has some.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

gspren

Be glad you got the 450 instead of the 350, I've towed my 5th wheel all over the Country (43 States) started with SRW than a 350DRW and now a 450DRW and the 450 is by far the best. The 350 handled the RV fine but the 450 sets the front wheels out a bit and lets you turn sharper so you get a shorter turning radius and when backing into a tight site that sharper turn really helps. I also got a 65 gal replacement fuel tank installed and then got the Ford dealer to reprogram to show the correct miles to empty. GM and Ram DRWs set higher in the back than Ford.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

muggs

I towed with an F-450 flatbed all over the US [moving business] getting 7 mpg. with a cargo trailer. The biggest drawback to the dually, is how easily it could get stuck. It could get stuck on wet grass.   Muggs :o

redprospector

I've pulled some pretty big loads with a SRW 3/4 ton with no problems. I do like my dualies for big loads, but it's not an absolute necessity. One thing that wasn't mentioned in the video was the cost of a dualie. Not just the initial purchase price, but operating cost as well. You have these additional costs every mile you drive, not just while pulling a load. A SRW will get better mileage, dual wheels are harder to turn, so there's more wear on drive train components, their harder to stop turning, so there's more wear on those bigger brakes, and of course there's those 2 extra tires you're wearing out all the time. At over $200 a pop that adds up fast.
I've got 2 dualies, and sold the third not long ago. I'm getting ready to single one of them out for a more friendly daily driver.

Too each his own. Take it for what it's worth.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!