iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will Somebody Please Turn the Heat up?

Started by Paschale, February 04, 2007, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi-Country Orange

crtreedude:it probably gets all the way down to a bone chilling 75 where your at  8)

WH_Conley

I remember last year Fred was neck deep in snow. :D
Bill

isawlogs

Ok .. I got two logs on the fire for ya alls  ::)  fire_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

crtreedude

I have been too busy to even bother Harold lately.  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

leweee

Fred ....you can't be too busy if your posten here....tell us about "too Busy"
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Texas Ranger

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TURN OFF THAT DANG SIGN
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

PineNut

I am ready for sprang. Maybe a taste of it tomorrow. Suppose to be up around 60. Just hope that ground hog was right.

Steven A.

Quote from: mike_van on February 05, 2007, 07:07:21 AM
Mt. Washington NH, right now -24F, wind 93 mph sustained gusting to 108 - For a wind chill of -72F     Thats cold -

93 mph winds sustained?
Can that be correct? Misplaced decimal point?
Sounds unbelievable.

Jeff

I'll bet its right. Mount Washington has the most extreme winter weather in the world as I recall.  I think I
'll dig a little before I hit post...

Yup,

Check for yourself.
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

As of this post current conditions:

Temp -21.1°F   
Wind 296° (NW), 104.4 mph
Gust 118.5 mph
W. Chill-71.6°F
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Steven A.

I looked it up and yes indeed its a very windy and strange weather place.
And interesting, look here.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(New_Hampshire)

Paul_H

It was hovering around 40 F today and is supposed to warm up a little bit tomorrow.A change is always good.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

Yep, it is even cold up there in summer time. When we went in July a few years ago it was 70 degrees at the base and 35 degrees with an awful wind on the top. Felt like zero. There is a tribute board in the Welcome building on top that lists the names of too many people who perished when the weather changed while they were ascending.
The Ranger at the base will give you an information CD timed to your ascent by vehicle. In the CD it tells about a race(car) to the top. I forget what the record was (I think 7 minutes) but it is a scary climb up there with no DanG guardrails. It is a long way down. Good thing I was holdin' the steering wheel. Low gear with brakes on all the way. Don't care ifn' I needed to replace rotors and pads later. :D

sprucebunny

I drove by the base of Mt. Washington today. It was not just blowing snow but wind propelled chunks of ice that made alot of noise when they hit the truck.  :o They had to plow the state road all day.

Every once in a while there will be a temperature inversion and it will be warmer up on the Mountain...seems strange to look up there from the valley and it's warmer !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Wanna keep track of the weather up top there, here is a link.
Sorry Jeff, didn't see you posted one too. This one is much the same.

Mt Washington Summit weather
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Faron

-18 temp and 87 mph wind this morning, and they feel the need to warn people not to hike above the timberline???? 
Gee Whiz
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

isawlogs

My little  fire_smiley is helping some , we got a whole four degrees on hte thermometer ... its at -16 C this morning .
I went and put anoder log on the fire ..just to sent a little more heat your way .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WH_Conley

Better go throw a couple more on Marcel, jinda looks that one just stired up some snow to go with the cold. :-[

That,ll add another week I can't get a truck out my drive,
Bill

Paschale

Quote from: Faron on February 06, 2007, 07:41:50 AM
-18 temp and 87 mph wind this morning, and they feel the need to warn people not to hike above the timberline???? 
Gee Whiz

:D :D :D :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

Mt Washington is one of my favorite places - but not this time of year. My daugther showed her good sense and married a young man from Bartlett. :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

farmerdoug

They canceled schools around here again today.  ::) You cannot blame the snow here as we only have about 3-4 inches on the ground.  I have been talking to folks around here and this was the first time that we can remember them closing schools because of the cold weather.  When I was in school we had alot of snow days and at that time we did not have to make them up.  We were out of school for more than a week at a time several times when I went to school.  Schools were closed then because of heating failure, snow, ice storms but never the cold.  I guess we are raising a bunch of pansies now.  Soon they will have to close the schools when it gets to hot too. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

OneWithWood

To all my Canadian friends,

You all are the most kind and giving bunch of neighbors a body could have.  The little blast of air you sent our way gave us all a nice taste of winter.  You may now close the blessed door and keep all the wonderful cold air to yourselves.  We have had all we need for this year, thank-you.

Robert - who is running out of wood and the oil burner is malfunctioning and the wifes plants are getting cold and my workshop is freezing and I just ain't having fun no more . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

They said it was -40 F somewhere out in Minnesota. It's 7 F above here now, but I think it was -10 F this morning. Our days are noticeably a bit longer, I'd say close to 10:00 hours now. I see the sun around 7:30 am and it's gone around 5:30 pm but we have long twilight on either end. We are due for some rain in a week or two. Always a mid winter mild spell here. Sometimes March is worst for snow than February. Our last storm was 3 or 4 inches, but the wind takes it off the fields and deposits it along  fence rows and woods. Certainly not bear in the fields by any stretch, but not very deep.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I don't leave the house much when she's below zero F. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill

I don't get it . I get home from chores yesterday afternoon ( temps in the low teens and nights about zero - warmer than most on FF ) and there's  four big robins sitting on the front lawn. I wonder if they are cussing out the guy that gave them directions . Certainly coldest I've ever seen robins show up in and near as I can remember the earliest.

???

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 06, 2007, 02:44:00 PM
They said it was -40 F somewhere out in Minnesota.

I sure am glad I don't live where it was that cold.  It was a nice balmy -37 F here yesterday morning. :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!