iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tractor

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 15, 2004, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Bein' an Oliver man myself, I kinda lost interest when I saw what color it was.  :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ok Stan, lets not start a color war ;)

I have been doing alot of degreasing. I had the front end in the yard hiting it with simple green, power washer and then scraper when I found the rear part of the front end pivot was broken off. It's a fairly common problem but I am glad I found it now so I don't have to take it apart again.

A buddy of mine, Celest and I were standing around talking, pointing out various things to get done before a coat of paint can be shot, we were just about done for the evening when the high pressure hose on the power washer burst spraing me right in the... well lower back. What a surprize! That was it for the evening, we all went out for tacos and beers with 2 Xs on them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Stan

I don't have anything against red, there is a red Oliver in Maryland, that came from the factory that way in 1938. It seems Oliver sent some various colored tractors around to fairs, to ask folks which they prefered. This old boy bought the red one, and his grandson restored it for him. I wonder what happened to the blue one? :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Weekend_Sawyer

The Super A is still in large hunks on the garage floor. I broke down the bad tires off of the rims and they werent too bad, the rims that is, except for a strange hole near the valve stem hole.

You are looking at the inside of my rim, the big hole is the valve stem hole.

When I pulled out the old tube there was a patch on it right where that hole was!!

Upon closer inspection you may be able to see the metal is torn to the inside. Looks like someone was shootin at a Deere and hit a Farmall :o

I have been distracted on a couple of other large projects, rebuilding my flatbed trailer, working on an addition to our cabin in West Virginia but every now and then I go out and play with the A. The front tires do look good.

now I have to weld the front axle where it is broke and put the front end back together.

More soon
Jon

beetle

That "A" is one reliable tractor, I have had mine for 25+ years, worked her hard and she still goes strong. She will pull the pants right off  them there gray ones. I got two of them green ones, yet, I still like getting on ole red.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Weekend_Sawyer

I got a little more work done on the broken front end the last couple of days.

Here's the broken part It's the pivot point.

I welded it back inplace and fabricated a stiffner plate for it.

Welded the stiffner plate inplace.

and cleaned the whole thing up.

I hope to shoot some red paint on these cleaned parts soon so they don't start to rust... again.

Buzz-sawyer

One question. How will it pivot with the plate there? What am I missing?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Weekend_Sawyer

The stiffner plate is on the bottom, the front end is upside down in the frist couple of pictures the last picture is of it right side up clamped in a vice by the stiffner.

MULE_MAN

Hey your'll have that tractor looking real good in no time at all
Nice weld  8) Must have a Mig welder  8)
What horse power is that Tractor  ???  I think them Ole Tractor's are neat ,no matter what color they are  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Norm

That's one nice welding job! I would never show a close-up of my welding beads. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks guys, I used a stick welder. My father was a welder and gave me a couple of good tips. I could not do it for a living but I can make stuff stick together :)

The Super As run about 18 hp can handle a 6' mower deck and have live hydraulics. Just an all around nice tractor. I also have a front blade.

I like Farmall's because that's what Dad and the farms around us had but I like all tractors, the older the better.

Quartlow

QuoteI don't have anything against red, there is a red Oliver in Maryland, that came from the factory that way in 1938. It seems Oliver sent some various colored tractors around to fairs, to ask folks which they prefered. This old boy bought the red one, and his grandson restored it for him. I wonder what happened to the blue one? :-/

Actually its a canadian oliver, quite a few of them say cockshut on them. I'm with you stan give a wd45 Allis chalmers or an 880 diesal oliver.

And of WS congrats even if it is a farmall

We have two of those nasty JD green things here a 2940 with as loader and 4520, cousin has a JD complex, funny thing is thoug since he finised the rebuild of of his 1750 oliver he spends more and more time on it ::) ::) The daily drivers are a restored WC allis and shudder an H.

:D :D :)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

oldsaw

Dad has a "B" that has been all gussied up and looking good.  He also has his first real tractor which is all painted up too, an "H", then a 450 with a loader.  All of those have been in the family for years.  The 450 when I was a pre-schooler...I still remember when he drove it home.  The "B" was owned by my great uncle until Dad bought it in the 70's after he passed away.  He probably bought it new.  He quit farming when his F20 shot craps, and figured he was done too.  Dad's got a 1686 too, but that doesn't count since he bought it after I left.

In between, we had a 460D, an 806D, and a 706.  Yep, all red.  And I spent a ton of hours on all of them.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Weekend_Sawyer

So I have been tinkering on the front end pices, have most of them ready for paint. I have to scratch the wole tractor down and prime it then fire up the wood stove in the shop and have a shootin good time. That will not be for a wile.

In the mean time I was having Maryland Crabs with one of my brothers and a friend of his we were talkin tractors and he said he had a nice 52' Ford 8N that he was going to get rid of cheep, did I want it ;D

The next weekend it was on my trailer

with bushog and scraper blade, could have passed it up... na coulden't  ;)

And then the other day I was having my favorite taco dinner at my favorite taco joint where I can usually be found on tuesday evenings, when a buddy of mine stopped in and said he was thinking of getting rid of his 52'  Super A that is in REAL bad shape. I told him I'd take it. Now I do some sawing for this guy every now and then and I woln't charge him for it cause he is a friend. So he said come and get the A that he would trade it to me for future sawing conciderations. Now that's the kind of deal I like :)

Here's the poor ol A that needs a LOT of TLC

It filled the Last bit of space in my shed row.

Roxie

A true tractor buff would not let a little thing like a lack of storage slow him down!  Why just last week Cowboy Bob came home with a '53 Massey Harris 33 Row Crop with a loader attachment.  (heavy sigh).
Just so happens that I've talked him into selling his '49 John Deere A.   ;)
Check the map.....we're just up the road from ya!!   :D :D
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay Roxie,
You all are right around the corner, stop on by anytime!
Always looking to meet another FF member.

An a true tractor buff, like me ;), would just build another section of shed roof, like I am!
Jon

Mark M

I don't even have a tractor :'(

Roxie

Well, if you're up for a road trip, get on over here and we'll sell you that '49 John Deere A!!   :D :D :D
Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm not afraid of green. A guy here at work just gave me a John Deere Welder. wonder if it will weld on a farmall ???

I have made a promise to myself. I am not going to buy anymore tractors until I finish the 2 projects in the barn.

I'm probably lying to myself  ;)

IndyIan

Weekend Sawyer,

My father in law has a Farmall A just like yours in his barn that has been run once or twice a year until a couple years ago.  We have a need for a small tractor on our land, do you think it would run a snow blower of any size?  Do you think reverse is slow enough to use a blower?

Thanks, Ian  

Weekend_Sawyer

Indylan,

I don't know, but I don't see why it wouldnt.

Is it an A or Super A. Super A's have hydraulics, A's do not.

check out www.yesterdaystractors.com and post that question in the Farmall section. I'm sure someone there would know.

I do know that woods still makes a belly mower adapter kit for them and there are 3 point conversion kits available.

Happy tractorin. I know I am when I am. 8)

Murf

Ian, the problem with older tractors and snowblowers is usually not a question of enough power to drive them.

A lot of the older tractors didn't have a slow enough gearing in reverse, the tractor at PTO speed would have it move backwards faster than the blower could clear the snow away. The result was you had to constantly slip it back & forth between neutral & reverse to keep it moving slow enough that the blower didn't just plug up.

If you want to experiment I have a 6' single stage you can try on it.

I'm barely an hour and a half's drive straight west of you.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

IndyIan

Thanks for the info guys,
Weekend_Sawyer, by hydraulics you mean it can raise and lower the hitch arms?  It can do that.  I guess 18 hp from 4 cylinders is a bit different than 18 hp in a walk behind blower!

Murf, Thanks for your generous offer, I won't be blowing any snow this year as I'm pretty busy trying to finish our house, so no time to get the tractor going.  IF we get moved in this winter then we'll have to hire someone.  It will be good to see how well a truck does on our hill too as maybe we'll just get a plow.

Ian

Weekend_Sawyer

If I ever have to disguise myself as a terrorist you will know me as Ibinplowin.
That's the kind of junk that drifts through my brain when I'm plowing or tilling or whatever.

It was a little early but I just had to get the little ford out and work it. I have a new to me Dearborn 3-point double 14" plow. I plowed my little vegtable garden lot and then went over to Brother Chris's house and plowed his lot.

Someone recently gave me a 3 point hitch disk harrow with every disk broken except one. I bought 20 new disks and replaced them all. It was surprizingly easy when you take into account it has spent it's life in the dirt.  I'll hang the only unbroken one on the barn.  I have always used an old-fashioned IH Little Geneious drawbar plow and drawbar disk so it has been a real joy to run 3-point  hitch equipment. You get to the end of the row, lift the implement spin around and run back up the next row, aint it great I just drug myself into the 1940's. ;D

and the Super A project, just about where I left it. I plan on getting back to it now that the weather is getting nice. There is not much left wrong with it except it needs one new rear tire and I need to continue prepping it for paint.

pappy

So Jon ya done scrachin' old paint??? and got dat Super A painted??

Gonna check out the www.yesterdaystractors.com link

thanks.
pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!