iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine beetle effect on timbers

Started by danreed76, April 15, 2017, 01:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

Got down to the last joint in a timber today and found some tracks inside the wood with a pine beetle larvae at the end of it.   This Timber has been on the pile for over a year and a half, stacked and stickered.  It's not unusual for us to find beetles in fresh logs, but never found them near the heart of a timber.  I guess the question is how much does this compromise the timber?  I'm tempted to scrap it.  Thoughts?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

danreed76

So here's a picture of the offending character.

I tried to get a picture showing the "trails" he had left through the wood, but couldn't seem to capture it clearly.  That timber has been moved to the "oops" pile, as the wood in that area just seemed too compromised to me.  Never did find any other bugs or damage.

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Texas Ranger

Brupestid (flat head) beetle, usually found under the bark of dead timber.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dchiapin

If it'e not too bad I use those logs to make stickers.
Once the wood dries they die. Just place the stickers in the sun a few hours they dry really quick and end of problem

danreed76

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 16, 2017, 08:51:58 AM
Brupestid (flat head) beetle, usually found under the bark of dead timber.

I just looked them up... that's them. I must have missed a hole somewhere that they had burrowed in.  I didn't think we had any species that would attack debarked or processed wood... guess I missed that one.

Thanks for the info!

Thank You Sponsors!