iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody got a harbor freight welder?

Started by brdmkr, January 19, 2008, 11:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I made my way to the HF store today.  They had a flux/mig welder that was really tempting.  I know that some of their stuff is .... not that great, but I know of several real gems that they sell as well.  I don't have any experience with their welders.  Do any of you guys have their welder?  What do you think of it?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pineywoods

They work, but you better pay attention to the duty cycle. Otherwise the magic smoke will escape, rendering the box worthless.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

PawNature

I bought the little 110 mig welder just to tack small stuff with. I'v had it several years now and well satisfied.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Dave Shepard

I would avoid the flux, if you can. In my experience, the little welders really don't have the juice to burn flux wire. Also, it doesn't seem to just chip off like proper stick slag does.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brdmkr

The one I was looking at is 'normally' priced at 299, but it was on sale for 199.  It had a gas hook-up and was 220 V.  It was really hard to walk away, but I convinced myself that without knowing nothing about them, it may not be worth 100 ???.  I figured that I would ask here to see what folks thought, and be ready the next time I caught the sale ;D

It sounds like the smaller welder may be fine for light stuff.  I may have to really do some searching for a review of the 220V model.  It could be that folks that want a 220V MIG go ahead and spend the extra for Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

jrokusek

I have a Campbell-Hausfled 110v welder which some people say is the same as the HF model.  It's actually pretty good with lighter materials, not so good with heavier stuff.  As mentioned before, the flux wire isn't so great for the 110v welders. 

Try the 220 v welder.....HF has a great return policy!   ;)

highpockets

Get a machine that carries the large (35 lbs ???) spool of wire or you will pay out of the nose for wire.  I am not sure how prices are now but a few years ago one would spend maybe $300.00  on equivalent wire in small spools.  I have a 250 amp Hobart on carbon dioxide which I have used for ten years.  Those little machines are ok for body work.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

york

where is this welder made??

I am tired of "waiting for the boat,for my stuff to come"

Have an old Lincoln ac/dc....that i can not kill

now looking at Lincoln MIG
Albert

ely

i have a welder that i am unsure of the name on it. my friend told me he was throwing it out because it would trip out on him everytime he started welding.
he was right, it does have an overheating problem. if the ambient temp. is over 90 it will only weld 3 or 4 1 inch welds. if it is cold outside it has 110% duty cycle ;D
when it is summer i just pop the cover off and aim a box fan at the innards, welds just fine all day. poor folks got poor ways.
i would almost bet it was a habor frieght job of sorts.

buzzegray

I bought the 220v welder with a friend and we are both happy with it. We only weld small projects  with a max of 1/4 inch stock.

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!