iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordering a cow and pig

Started by Compensation, October 20, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Papaw always said not to fret to much about if you don't get it cut-up exactly right. What is not in one piece will be in another. Course he and i were the butchers and consumers.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

bradmarks
The filet I believe is the tip of that tenderloin which is the two strips inside the body cavity along the backbone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filet_mignon
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Quote from: BradMarks on November 06, 2014, 04:27:26 PM
I'm no butcher, nor do I have a "steak chart".  Always called the filet the two strips inside the body cavity along the rib cage. Am I wrong?

You are correct it is on the inside but towards the short loin end.   If you look at a Porterhouse or t-bone in the showcase you'll see the Strip Steak on the top of the back bone and the tenderloin or filet on the other side.

red oaks lumber

bill
is the picture of the red cow the one you put in the freezer?
the proper way of finishing animals is, first they have to reach full body frame at that point they start putting the final fat layer on. if an animal is pushed grain to hard to early your animal won't be truely body finished.
i grass finish all my animals, when looking at the top of the back you shouldn't be able to see the hip bones or the pin bones . it should look more like a rounder barrel and the tail head will have fat wrinkles also.
every animal finishes at differant weights some it's 1200 lbs others it might be 900 lbs. a resturaunt in my area buys 20 beef from me each year and on the menu its says if your steak is not to your satisfaction, the meal is on the house. this has been the last 3 yrs and they havent bought a meal yet. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

BradMarks

I guess I have intertwined the words filet and tenderloin to be the same.  I only cut up deer or elk, and that inside tenderloin is my filet!  Outside is the backstrap.  Only thing I really know is YUMMY.

Compensation

OK, I am sure I will get it somehow. Just didn't want it to end up as hamburger. It was funny when she asked about the pig. Later my woman had to take over the discussion so we would get more stuff so I agreed with her but should be alot of bacon and brats (sausage).
She said "how do y...."
Me: "Bacon!!!"
her: "OK, how...."
her: "well we can't make bacon out of a roast"
Me: "Brats"
her: "OK, and how..."
her: "Well..."
Me: "Brats!!!"
That was pretty much the whole pig discussion.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

sandhills

Pigs are easy for me, I call them sausage, bone it, trim it, grind it, and stuff it  ;D.  Actually I like ham and bacon too, you can have the chops, nobody will ever cook them like grandma used to.

tule peak timber

Haven't bought a beast in a while....Time to do it again. Goats , sheep I butcher up myself. Over 200 pounds we send to a professional. This thread is making me hungry .....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Raider Bill

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 06, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
bill
is the picture of the red cow the one you put in the freezer?
the proper way of finishing animals is, first they have to reach full body frame at that point they start putting the final fat layer on. if an animal is pushed grain to hard to early your animal won't be truely body finished.
i grass finish all my animals, when looking at the top of the back you shouldn't be able to see the hip bones or the pin bones . it should look more like a rounder barrel and the tail head will have fat wrinkles also.
every animal finishes at differant weights some it's 1200 lbs others it might be 900 lbs. a resturaunt in my area buys 20 beef from me each year and on the menu its says if your steak is not to your satisfaction, the meal is on the house. this has been the last 3 yrs and they haven't bought a meal yet. :)

Yepper the red one was ours. Got a black one this time, same dad different mom.
Pretty much completely grass fed. Little to no grain but that's not my call. Personally I'd finish it off with some kind of feed for a bit but it's not up to me. :-X
We use this meat for cooking and some grilling but if I want a nice tender juicy steak I buy a Publix Greenwise.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

If you ever get a tough beef, try the "all-day-cook" in a crock pot.

They'll make the toughest ones tender!  digin1
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

there is a right way and a wrong way to cut some parts of a beef  trust me  :) we had steaks half of it would melt in your mouth the other half wouldn't go through a meat grinder it was so tuff  ;D

Don_Papenburg

A pressurecooker will make tough meat tender in a shorter time than a crockpot
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!