iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Good Mill

Started by Terry, September 23, 2006, 10:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Congratulations!

Got it yet? 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Greg Cook

Hey Terry...just now noticed you're in Tennessee (looks like East TN).  Where are you close to?  I'm near Nashville, and may drive up to see your new toy when you get it set up. BTW, got a postcard from WoodMizer that they will be set up at the Log home/Timberframe expo in Sevierville next weekend.  May give you some ideas on what to do with your new saw.  Think I'm gonna ride up there, see what I can learn.
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

Terry

I've got the saw, and it's up and running.  Yea Greg, I'm located about 20 miles from Sevierville. I would be glad to show you the mill, in action.
Life is short---Live It !!!

Left Coast Chris

Yipeee!  What are ya sawing and how do you like the mill?   Some pics would be great!

Sounds like the sawdust is in the blood now   :D :D     Next comes the "where have you been darling?"
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Terry

Hey Farmer, been sawing Red and White Oak. Sawed some Cedar, got several 15 x 3/4, 8 foot long boards from it. Got 8 more good Cedar logs left to saw. You know what's funny? I can't drive down the road now, without looking at every tree I see and wanting to saw it. Will that ever go away? :D  Whats really cool, is being able to look at the kant and knowing that if I turn it, I'll get a better looking board.
  Someone told me it would get in my blood, didn't think it would happen this soon tho. A friend gave me 2 Wild Cherry tree's. I'll get them and saw and stack in a few week's. About the Cedar, will it loose it's color when dry stacked. Mine has turned a little to the brown side. The logs were cut about a year ago. I sawed them last week. Will the color return when I plane them? How should I do the Cherry tree's? It will be a while before I can start building our house.

tcsmpsi

Aahhh...the coveting of the tree.   Go away, you ask?    :D :D :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

dovetails

About the Cedar, will it loose it's color when dry stacked. Mine has turned a little to the brown side. The logs were cut about a year ago. I sawed them last week. Will the color return when I plane them? -------------YES, I have cedar cut 12 years ago,and some cut 6 months ago, can hardly tell them apart  after running thru the planner. The smell stays too. And the scraps smell great in the wood stove.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

DanG

One of my favorite routes to travel takes me through the middle of the Appalachicola National Forest.  There's at least thirty miles of nothing but Pine trees.  I find myself ogling some particularly straight little six-inch tree and saying, "Man, look what a pretty saw log!  It will be ready in only forty years, and I'll only be a hunnerd years old, myself.  I'm gonna come back and get that one! 8) 8)"

The cedar will turn brown in the sunlight, but the pretty pink color will return when you plane it.  Keep it out of the sun, and it will retain its color.

Flat saw the Cherry.  It is much prettier that way. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Terry

Yoo-Hoo, I thought I might have messed up. I will do as instructed. When you say flat saw, does that mean to start sawing and dont turn the log?

DanG

Noop.  Flat sawing, or plain sawing is where the board is oriented so that the annual rings run across the width of the board.  The opposite of that is quarter-sawing, where the rings run across the thickness of the board.  Some woods are more stable when quartersawn, and some give some spectacular grain patterns when sawn that way, but most, IMHO are more attractive when plain sawn.

Go up to the top of the page and find the link to "Forum Extras", click on that and go to the Knowledge Base.  I think there are some diagrams there that may help you understand the difference.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Terry

Thank You Sponsors!