iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too big for the crane, Too big for the sawmill, *DanG Walnut....

Started by shelby78, May 12, 2019, 08:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby78

Owning a tree service I come into some walnut here and there and I love me some walnut. The problem with some of this walnut is its size. My poor Ferrari knuckle boom is only good for about 4000lbs and some of these pass that pretty well.

Now I also own a LT-15 wide and I max it out all the time. These walnuts will be no exception.  The log in the pic on the mill is 38 inches at the fat side at the widest.

The butt log of one of them is 48 inches. It will not be fun chainsaw milling it up but at least I use 2 660's. I will try to post some pics when I get to milling the bigger ones. So far 11 logs but more to come.. Had to bring out the big guns to load these.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

I'd say that is a nice problem to have.  Wait a bit while I wipe this tear from my eye.  :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Don P

Nice problem to have though :)
I hear you on wishing for a bigger k-boom. A red oak butt log got me all hiked up on one leg Saturday as I was trying my darndest to bring it in and set her down.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

If only I was closer, I would come relieve you of your problems. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Cough*Swing Blade*Cough                    :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shelby78

Love all the comments and most of them are exactly what I was thinking. Cut some today and I'll probly start a new thread showing some more pics.

clww

Quote from: shelby78 on May 13, 2019, 04:21:49 PM
Love all the comments and most of them are exactly what I was thinking. Cut some today and I'll probly start a new thread showing some more pics.
I'm sure that will generate zero interest, too! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on May 13, 2019, 04:44:58 AMThose logs make the bed of that truck look small. 
Didn't know you could get an LT-15 in the Matchbox series either.:P
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shelby78

Quote from: John S on May 13, 2019, 05:24:20 PM
Do I see an LX250 in your future?
I know a guy local getting one. It is suppose to show up in June. Funny thing is he builds houses and asked me for logs not knowing I owned a sawmill lol. I can work out arrangement to use/have cut on it if need be. Plus that is more than I want invested in a mill

I pretty much only bought the LT-15 wide to cut the Walnut I get. I also get hard maple, ash, oak, cherry, etc but rarely cut it. The money around here is in wide live edge walnut.  It always sells green.

The logs did make the truck look small. With only 3 12 fters I know I was heavy and we are half loads right now :). Ministry cops are only really around 2-3 times a year though for blitzes.

Jeff

Cut some today and I'll probly start a new thread showing some more pics.
Please keep  it in this topic.

shelby78

Quote from: Jeff on May 13, 2019, 07:40:05 PM
Cut some today and I'll probly start a new thread showing some more pics.
Please keep  it in this topic.
I had something unique happen to a slab (With before and after pictures) while sawing this wood and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it after sawing. I wrongly figured it disserved its own thread but Ill spare the bandwidth.

Jeff

And it would be much easier to follow in the topic where the logs are.

Billikenfan

Get lots of logs that are to big for my standard LT40 hydraulic.  I grab the ported 660 and cut them in half length wise(or a side off) depends what I need out of them.  It doesn't really take that long to do.  Nice logs!

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

Thank You Sponsors!