iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Homemade Scissor Clamping System

Started by EZ, May 05, 2012, 07:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

http://youtu.be/qO7ubdx5NXU

This is my homemade clamping system which will clamp from 40 inches down to a 4 inch cant.
EZ

Hilltop366

Looks nice EZ!

I was reading another thread about 2 plane clamps a while back and was wondering if a scissor would work, looks like you done did it, another way that I thought of for the horz was to use a chain or cable connected to each end of the shuttle to pull the clamp back and forth, this would require rotary motion and a brake so perhaps this is better suited to hydraulics. Well done.

bandmiller2

EZ,thats quite some linkage you got there,did you make a mockup with sticken first.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job! smiley_thumbsup I think I like that better than the factory set-up on my mill.  Would love to see a video if it in action.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Cutting Edge

I LIKE it!!!  smiley_sidelightbulb  Looks easy enough to built once the geometry is figured out.  Thanks for posting the pics!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

5quarter

Jeez...looks like you could snap a log in half if you're not careful ;) very well engineered. can you turn a cant with it as well?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

EZ

This was a 2 month project for me. I first tried a hyd motor which was kinda jurky and when i put a 30 inch oak on it wouldnt move it, so back to the drawing board I went.
The scissors it self is 1 inch thick x 3 inch solid bar stock which just alone was $240.00. Price of DanG metal is out of this world. But i wanted it heavy duty. I made a pattern with hardwood lumber first and it work good. It will clamp in a 40 to 4 inch log with no problem. Plus I use the same system to turn the log or cants. The cylinder to move the scissor has only a 8 inch stoke.
It was a 2 month head ache but well worth it now.
Took me an hour to post the pictures so a movie of it in action would be a definite no way. I guess you would have to see it in person.

ladylake

Now that you know how to get pics up how about a couple in mid stroke and the other end.  Looks good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

DanG,just typed a long essay,with one finger, on two plain clamps and it didn't transfer,if I was packing now I'd put a hole in this puter.Why is it crap you can't get rid of something you value dissapears in an instant. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hilltop366

Isn't that the way it goes bandmiller, if I am typing something long I will either copy the text a few times as I am going along so if it disappears I can paste it, or type it in a word processing program and save it as I go along then copy and paste to the thread, that way even if the computer quits I can get most of it back.

EZ videos are easier than photos to put in a post if you can get them on youtube all you have to do is copy and paste the url in here and they magically appear, click on the preview to check before you click post.

EZ

My wife is amazing, with the computer stuff that is.
EZ

Kcwoodbutcher

Looks like I have most of the materials around already. Looks like all I need is some hydraulic line and one more valve and I'm good to go. What size is the box tube it travels on and what is the vertical reach of the other cylinder?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

kelLOGg

Nice work!
Does the sliding surface ever bind when sawdust or grits grit gets under it? Sorry, it's early and I haven't had breakfast yet. ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

EZ

The turner lift has a 12 inch lift.
Saw dust and what not doesnt seem to bother it.
EZ

eastberkshirecustoms

Nice, professional fab work EZ! I'm glad you got the hydraulics working. Did you end up using a different pump and/or valve?. Sorry to hear the hyd. motor set up didn't work out for you.

eastberkshirecustoms

P.S. I did have one thought about your design. Instead of using the cylinder directly as your clamp, it may be better to have the cylinder lift/lower some bar stock as the clamp, to reduce the lateral force on the cylinder- which could wear the seals prematurely or damage the cylinder. Nice work, regardless.

EZ

Thanks Eastberkshirecustoms, and thanks for the help on the right valves also.
I had second thoughts on the lift but I was running out of time cause my customers needed logs milled up. Hopefully it will hold up for a while if not I'll have to redo it.
EZ

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for posting the video.  I like your design. smiley_thumbsup
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dblair

you might be able to use it to turn the log also . great job
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

locdogg

awesome.  thanks for posting the pics and video. 

bozzaa69

I tried to make a v type scissor clamp for a couple days then scrapped the idea cause it was taking too long. I didn't think to make a w type scissor. Good job on that. That's probrably the best way to make a good strong solid clamp. I settled for the hydraulic motor and chain system. It works good too for the money and time I spent. About $150 and a couple hours time per clamp. I got 2 clamps on my mill. Here's a link to my gallery on PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY.

bozzaa69

PS- The $150 doesn't include the valve. Hydraulic motor $100, steel $25 spockets and chain $25 or so. Valve and hose add another couple hundred. I like your set up better than mine though. I thank you for the pics and video. Your time engineering it and sharing that is of great value to others that do this kind of work. I know I will use your system in the future and it will be a quick easy build for me because you shared your hard work.

beenthere

bozza
Here is a link to the "how to" on the pics. Look forward to seeing them.

And welcome to the forum.  :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bozzaa69

Here's the link to my pics on the DIY Bandmill site. PLEASE READ FORESTRY FORUM RULES. NO OFFSITE PHOTOS. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY.

bozzaa69

Thank You Sponsors!