iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

***New Here! Just got the TimberKing 2000***

Started by kgbond, May 06, 2012, 11:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgbond

After a long deliberation, I finally decided to get my dream saw: the TimberKing 2000. It arrived on Friday and I'm just starting to get to know how to use it... Here is a film of cutting the very first cant! I am already starting to realize that there's going to be a lot to learn in order to get the most out of the saw. In two days, I've already gone through a couple of bands. Cheers to learning from mistakes! I'm excited to be a member of the Forestry Forum and look forward to hearing from you.

- Kimball

http://youtu.be/whj8MzgMQMI

LOGDOG

Welcome to the Forum KGBond. Exciting times for you for sure. Nice to have another Californian on the board. Not to many of them here. What do you intend to use the mill for?

redbeard

Congratulations on your new mill! It wont take long to get the hang of it, you will learn your own methods and you will change some as you get more experience. I sure like the speed of the head up n down that is nice. Welcome to FF Kimball.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

Thanks for the video and welcome to the forum. Great entry!!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customdave

Hey Congrats on the new mill, won't take long to get the hang of her. Welcome to the forum & play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

thecfarm

kgbond,welcome to the forum. Nice mill. I want to know what the plans are for the mill too. Just ask away and we will help you with any problems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Congrats on the new mill and welcome to the forum. What HP engine did you get on that one? If you can figure out how to post a video on your first post you will get the hang of that mill in no time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF kgbond.  Learning the mill is part of the fun, enjoy the process.  In no time you will be saying thing's like " I remember when I backed the band into the end of the cant".......or raised the blade in the cut, or tried to mechanically remove (saw) a piece of the mill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Larry

Wow!  What a great first post, a video with pictures. 8) 8)

Congratulations on your new mill.  I think you will make good use of it.

There's getting to be quite a few of us on the forum with the new TK-2000.  A great support crew if you have questions...just ask.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Wow, First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kgbond, and Congratulations are in order for the sawmill purchase !!!  I foresee some fun times in your future, both for you and for us.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Misfit

Welcome kgbond; very nice mill!  8)

I have to live vicariously through all you guys getting new mills - especially a TK2000 - for a couple of more years. So keep the pictures and videos coming. Owner input is the best way to get truly honest feedback on any brand.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Chuck White

Kimball; Great first post and welcome to the Forestry Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

Welcome KG.  and good luck with your new mill. 8)

JohnM

Way to make an entrance KG!  Welcome and congrats!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum from a fellow TK 2000 owner.  Glad to have you on board!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

kgbond

Thanks very much for all posts. As to what purpose the mill will serve, we have
1800 feet of 6 foot wooden fence to place and 2 miles of wire fence with split rail posts to repair or replace.The idea, as sold to my wife, is to mill the cedar we have for that job. So we are cutting 3/4X 6 foot fence boards and 4X4 posts.  The other use is  board and bat siding for barn and out buildings. We don't plan on any commercial  use of the saw. The saw has a 38hp Kohler engine. My question for you guys is what brand of blade are you using? And what kind of hourly use are you getting?

Kimball

LOGDOG

"....as sold to my wife...." I love it. You'll fit right in around here. We've all been down that road.  :)

wood monger

Congrats on the mill kgBond and welcome to the forum.

Magicman

It is always best to practice and learn with your own logs.  Time will lead you down different sawing directions.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

kg,

That is a very fine mill.  Using it to saw all that lumber will pay for a big chunk of it, plus the richness of the experience of turning your own logs into lumber for your own project.  Not many people can do that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

j rock

your going to love that mill. I use Munkforsagar blades (10 degree). ON MY 2000. welcome and please ask anything your not sure of. ther's someone here that can help. GOOD LUCK .      J
whats fun? making saw dust!!

Woodey

Welcome kgbond,

I use WM 10 degree for pine and WM 9 degree for hardwood.
Woodmizer also has a good resharp service.

The hourly use is based on log conditions and thickness of lumber that I'm cutting.

Enjoy your new mill !!!!  Nice video post!
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Ga Mtn Man

Hey Kimball,

What's that yellow thing arching across the top of the engine?  My TK2000 doesn't have that.  ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ronnie

Kimball, give Suffolk machinery a call they make timberwolf blades. I ordered a few blades and got a blade education on the phone and then they sent me a free DVD about blades and there proper uses. It's educational even if you end up using someone else's blades. Timberkings ultra max is a .042 blade and both woodmizer and timberwolf said I should be running .045 blades on my TK2000. I have a pile of ultra max blades and they work good on the cedar I cut but I was having trouble with harder woods. So I ordered blades from both Suffolk and woodmizer and I am currently experimenting with them.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

macpower

KG
Just caught your post here, welcome to the asylum. Sweet set up! I'd sell my soul, (well not my soul but maybe my dog), for a mill like that.
I did notice that in all the previous responses everyone neglected to tell you that it is perfectly normal to saw at night with a flashlight and tractor headlights during the first few weeks with a new mill.   ;D
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Thank You Sponsors!