iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Pigman Comes to Georgia

Started by WDH, May 07, 2012, 09:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

He came to visit his daughter, to come see me and eat mulberries, and to go visit Customsawyer (Jake) at one of his portable sawing jobs.  It was a three hour round trip over to Jake's job, so we got to catch up on the news and to talk about everyone here on the Forum behind their backs  ;D.

When we got to Jake's job, he was setting up.  He said that the customer was supposed to have the logs bucked to length and piled ready for the sawmill.  Not!  Some of these logs were candidates for the "Nasty Log Award".

Here is Sawmill Inspector, Bob, checking out the set-up.

We got to see some sawdust fly, then left Jake to concentrate on the job.

All in all, it was a very nice day (not too hot  :)).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Sounds like Pigman needed a sawdust fix.  It also sounded like a fun day for all.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

It's always a good day to meet FF members.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Jake, I'm disappointed. I thought you sawed just big nice, maybe oversized white oak logs.  :o. You are just like the rest of us. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pigman

I thought the logs were real nice and all ready for sawing. Of course I was just watching and not sawing. Here Jake is preparing a nice almost veneer log for sawing. Anyone that does portable sawing runs into these near "perfect" saw jobs occasionally.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bogue Chitto

Yep, that some fine logs you got there.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 07, 2012, 09:14:57 PM
and to talk about everyone here on the Forum behind their backs  ;D.

sling_shot dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_ignore no_no smiley_furious3 smiley_smash smiley_whip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

It was great to meet Bob and it is always good to see my friend Danny. I just wish I could have actually got to saw some logs for them instead of running around trying to get things setup. I can't complain to much as we spent right at 9 hours of sawing and still come out with better than 4700 bf of 1 X lumber. Should have gotten done yesterday but had a minor break down so had to run to the house and get parts. Got back at it this morning and finished it up. I have to add that I hate stacking lumber with stickers.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

It looks like that you kept those two off-bearers hopping!  I could see what was coming, so I told Bob to get in the Jeep, and we left  :D.

David,

We especially talked about you  ;).  Come to the Pig Roast and I won't have to talk behind your back  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coastlogger

Dont want to be a wiseguy,would rather be thought of a concerned for others safety:That pic of someone cutting off a knot with a chainsaw illustrates  a very poor technique.Many ways to do that cut without having the chain headed right for your nuts with a left arm  poorly positioned for controlling saw.To say nothing of the apparel. Forgive me,I just spent the day with a greenhorn southpaw who for some unknown reason got thru the day without a scratch. Boy,someone needs to tell Stihl/husky to start making LH chainsaws.
clgr

pigman

coastlogger, the picture is a little deceiving.  Jake has long arms, the saw was way out in front of him. Also, his paints had so much pine sap on them that it would almost be impossible to cut through them with a chainsaw.

Sawen Preacher

Jake I am kinda glad that you had the breakdown yesterday and you had to go home to sharpen some blades.  Your breakdown benefitted me, so Thanks for lesson in sharpening and setting.  8) WOW what a technique you have, but I learned some new tricks. 

And Danny, I have determined that Jake does everything wide open!
97' LT40HDD40 Wood-Mizer/ Lombardini
Cook's cat claw sharpener
Cook's dual tooth setter
743 Bobcat Loader w/ grapple
1979 Chevy Rollback 24' bed

I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.   -------Michael J. Fox

tyb525

I think Wrangler jeans are just about chainsaw proof as they are :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customsawyer

Preacher we did have a good little visit. I hope that you left with something that helped. When I get a chance I would like to stop by your place, you would think it would be a little easier since I drive by your place about 5 times a week. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looks like a bloody good day was had by all  ;) ;D 8) apart from the break down and haing to prep the logs yourself  :( Even Bad American logs  look good you have some bloody good stands of timber down here youall should go down to Australia and order afew loads of case grade pine logs leaves you scratching your head sometimes how they even thought it was worth dragging outa the bush  ??? ::) ;) :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

customsawyer

Chris if you are going to hang out in the south you are going to have to learn how y'all is spelled. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Holmes

Quote from: customsawyer on May 11, 2012, 07:42:10 PM
Chris if you are going to hang out in the south you are going to have to learn how y'all is spelled. ;D
:D :D :D ;D
Think like a farmer.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Jake, ya got the yankees laughin.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Meadows Miller

Give me 20 years and ill get it down pat I might even get to be called a local by then  Jake ;) :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Norm

Chris I moved 20 miles to where I live now and have lived here for 24 years...I'm still the new guy from up north.  :D

Raider Bill

Chris, I've met and heard you talk. Trust me with that accent nobody in the USA is ever going to call you a local :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

Wanted to ask Pigman if he got a chance to run Customsawyer's LT70?

And...
Quote from: Raider Bill on May 12, 2012, 08:06:54 AM
Chris, I've met and heard you talk. Trust me with that accent nobody in the USA is ever going to call you a local :D
Chris, look on the bright side, you probably could get a job at Outback Steakhouse. ;)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pigman

QuoteWanted to ask Pigman if he got a chance to run Customsawyer's LT70?
James, no, I didn't run Jake's mill. I think he wanted to get some sawing done. :D

customsawyer

When I fired it up things started to look like work and they took off. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!