iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old horizontal walk behind pulpwood saw

Started by SwampDonkey, July 27, 2018, 06:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Anyone have any info on these Minnesota pulpwood saws? I think they cut horizontal like some we have seen on the forum here of folks cutting southern pine. Maybe?

Another step closer - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

longtime lurker

Oh yeah - theres a blast from the past. :D I started out cutting "split" posts for fencing on the back of one of those.

Google "Hargan saw" or "Mobilco swing saw".

Never used one in the horizontal for felling , did all mine ripping vertically. They had a reputation for bouncing off the bark and swinging used in the horizontal for felling and then taking the operators legs off about 6" below the knee. They earnt that reputation by doing exactly that.

In the vertical they would bite the ground and chase ya, because the saw pulls forward so the operator holds them from taking off rather then pushing them in the cut. So you strap yourself up to it it nice and tight so that if you lost your grip it would drag you along rather then turning and coming back after you and taking your legs off about 6" below the knee from a lying position not a standing one. Least that way you didnt then fall over as well!

Highly dangerous but effective... and good at cullling idiots from the gene pool. Most of them here came standard with a BSA motorbike engine, and when that burnt out the regular upgrade was to a VW motor. Best advice I can give ya is stay the heck away...

I youtubed... *big grin* guy cutting ties with one just like my grandad used to. He was a big guy my grandad.... only about 5'9" high but about 4' deep through the chest and across the shoulders.

Sleeper Cutting - YouTube

and with that I'm off to sit in my dogbox for the day. I shall feel like a modern lumbersexual, sipping my latte in the A/C ;D ;D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

pineywoods

Oh yeah ! I remember those well. I had an after school and during the summer job keeping a bunch of them thangs runnin. Even hammered and sharpened the blades. Never used one in the woods, I wasn't big enough. The saw blade was bad enough, but more loggers lost fingers by pulling on the belts to crank the wisconsin. No recoil starter, the piece of rope normally used to crank usually got lost. In the horizontal felling position, they would kick like a mule if the blade pinched in the wood. They were rapidly phased out by the introduction of big 2 man chain saws by IEL and diston. I heard about the souped-up crazy ausie versions with monsterous engines, but never saw one.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Yeah, looks dangerous. I'm pretty sure the hermit in the first video is not looking to cut pulp. I think he is just looking for information like an old manual or diagrams. There are parts that seem missing on his he is curious about. He's thinking of using it to buck firewood. If it were me, I'd be using the chain saw to buck the firewood, not some squirrelly circular saw on wheels. I don't think he will be doing himself any favours. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

He should put on a concrete blade and a for sale sign.  That thing is a death wish.
Praise The Lord

samandothers

Oh my a monster blade that can chase you!  Interesting but scary.  I thought the cover over the engine was to protect from rain til I saw the saw dust flying back toward it.

I don't think I'd want to be in the audience watching that.

pineywoods

These  were quite plentiful around here back in the day. I never heard of anyone being hurt from the blade, but plenty of mangled fingers from the belts and busted bones from the kickback..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bigred1951

I'm subscribed to him on YouTube. He has a lot of interesting videos and pretty knowledgeable on a lot of old stuff equipment and such.

Ljohnsaw

I'd like the ausie version.  Might sell my band saw mill and pick up one of those.  Sure looks fast and easy! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!