iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surge protector hookup

Started by OneWithWood, September 24, 2003, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I would like to install a surge protector on a 20 amp circuit that feeds a greenhouse and a wood fired boiler.  I need the surge protector to protect the electronic controls of my Central Boiler unit.
The circuit is protected at the main panel with a 20 amp breaker.  I have also wired in a selector swich ( I forget what the proper terminology is) that is used when we fire up the generator for backup power.  The circuit consists of a run of 160' of buried UF 10-2 cable terminating in the greenhouse outlet with a run of UF 14-2 spliced into the outlet box and running to the boiler, also buried. The boiler controls and pump draw approximately 5 amps.
I would appreciate it if any of the electrically gifted folk on this forum have any ideas.  Is there a product on the market I could wire into just this one circuit?  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Them lil' ol'  surge protector strips, like ya use wit yer computer will hold about 10 amps. Why not just use one of dem? :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norm

Most surge protectors that you buy for less than $50 are almost useless. I would suggest that you use a UPS (uninteruptable power supply). Make sure you get one big enough to handle the draw you are using. I use APC for my stuff that I'm worried about getting hit. It also gives you some time to shut things off and are real nice to handle when the power fluctuates or goes on and off real quick.

SawInIt CA

I just had a power surge that took out my TV receiver. I heard the computer UPS beep several times :-X

OneWithWood

Thanks for the replies fellas.  I had thought about using on of the power strips but I hesitate to convert the 14-2 UF cable to a plug in.  Mebbee I am just being foolish.  I guess it would be easy enough to put another outlet in the greenhouse and plug the furnace feed into it.  Still not sure of that option  ::) ???

I have an APC UPS for my computer and related equipment.  It has saved stuff more than twice!  :)  I do not think the greenhouse is a good environment for one.  Converting the UF 10-2 to a plug and running a feed from the outlet to the panel just sounds like a mickey mouse setup.  Am I being to conservative with this?  Would you install an outlet with a home run to the panel and then put a honker plug on the UF 10-2 to plug into a surge protector that is in turn plugged in to the single outlet?  What type of increased resistnce or voltage drop occurs by putting an outlet/plug combo in the circuit?  Is it feasible to wire a surge protector into the home run?  The greenhouse will draw more than 10 amps when the electric heaters are in use.  That might eliminate the cheap power strip idea.  
I wish I knew more about electricity  ??? :P ::) ??? :P ::) :-/
One With Wood

beenthere

What I read in your first quest for information was a desire to 'protect' only the electronic controls in the Central Boiler Unit. Not sure where the need comes from (has it been blown out?) but seems to me you could follow the DanG suggestion to use a surge protector, and wire it just ahead of the electronic controls. I would be surprised that there isn't already some protection in the electronic circuit.

I wouldn't put the surge protector further 'upstream' in the power line than just ahead of the Central Boiler Unit electronic controls. An additional outlet and plug (if you can't hardwire it) shouldn't be any big problem with the electric service to the Boiler.

If the concern is protection of the greenhouse from loss of heat, I would install an alarm system that lets you know when the temps fall below a set point. There are other potential failures of a heating system beyond a surge in the line.

Also, my concept of a surge protector on a computer is for spikes of voltage that give computers headaches, not surges on the line from lightning strikes (albeit the surge protector may help a little bit here).   I thought the UPS was for intermittent failures in power, giving the computer time to shut down 'normally'.  They are a better way to go, but can't visualize that helping much with the Boiler circuitry other than spikes of voltage.

Just my thoughts, and others likely have much more knowledge (DanG, hate to admit that but its true in this forum! :D).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

Thanks, Beenthere.  The lectronic brain that controls the damper and blower on the boiler did blow out once before.  The company replaced it under warranty.  Apparently they have had a number of problems with this setup and no longer offer it.  If it blows again we are out of luck.  We really like the setup because we can control the furnace from the comfy confines of our house 180' away.  Really enjoy the coinvenience at 2am on a freezing winter night!  :D

Let me see if I understand your suggestion - At the boiler put a plug on the feed cable and plug that into a surge protector that would in turn be plugged into an outlet at the end of the 14-2 coming from the greenhouse?  Sounds reasonable.  Any idea how I might just hard wire a surge protector into the circuit at the boiler?  I have never opened up one but I bet I do in the next day or so.
One With Wood

beenthere

Wow!  So they no longer offer you an electronic control that is spike proof. Wonder why they don't replace or at least offer you the new version? Or does the new version not have the convenient 'remote' control from the house?  I may be getting the picture here.  Amazing that some companies use their customers for testing and debugging their designs, and then build new units for just the new customers, and forget the original buyers. But maybe that assumption is not fair.

Opening up a surge protector is what I would do, to see if it can be hardwired in ahead of your electonic circuit (but after the on/off switch to power down the unit). But at a minimum, just mount the surge protector to the inside of the unit, put a plug on a shortened cord, and plug it into a switched outlet box that has the 14-2 power line coming into it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OneWithWood

You are corect.  The new version does not have the convenient remote option.

One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!