iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter logging

Started by Quebecnewf, February 17, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well winter logging is under way we have a small pile to the shore ready to be rafted in the spring.

Weather has been mild so snow conditions are so so.

I have been testing out my new sled and it seems to be everything i hoped. Easy to tow . Makes a nice trail.

I have sold a few this winter and I think they will do well as people see what they can do

More snow here today so hopefully we will get better working conditions in the next week.

Quebecnewf

sawguy21

You must be busy, we have heard from you for a while. Nice that the sled works so well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

roger 4400

Hi Paul.
Your sleds seems to work nicely. Wish you will have nice weather, not too cold. Can you haul your logs to your mill on the ice or you will bring them with your boat next spring ?
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Timbercrk1

Great pics! What sled are you using? Have a pic of it?  :P

Dave Shepard

Has the weather changed enough where you are that you can no longer count on using the ice bridge?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

Info on that sled, Quebecnewf ?  Do you have a web site where we can check out the features and pricing?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

KBforester

I almost bought one off him, but my harvesting prospects dried up for this winter.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62199.msg917507.html#msg917507
Trees are good.

Quebecnewf

Once again this year the weather has been a challenge. The ice bridge was late coming in and we have had some cold it just never seems to be cold long enough. We are now going through a Northeast thaw. Not uncommon but they seem to be more frequent and last longer. The ice bridge is fast but lots of slush on top . You cannot haul across it. We have been cutting logs on days that it is not a blizzard or raining but it is slow going. We were in again today very mild a sticky. Cut 21 logs and stacked them by the path. Too mild to haul. Hope to make up 300 logs in the next week and we will have to see after that. need to cut a bit of firewood and would like to go and find a few birch logs for the kiln. I imagine we will run out of winter before all this gets done.

New sled seems to be working OK but I am thinking of trying a different plastic for next season. Something more bullet proof (more expensive). This method of using large sheets of plastic as sleds will replace many types of trailers sleds etc etc over the next few years.
Check out the work they are doing on Greenland using this type of sled to haul fuel in on the Greenland Ice Cap. Poke around in Google and you will find it. Search HMW plastics.

Quebecnewf

Timbercrk1

What kind of snowmobile are you using and/or would suggest? :P

JuniperBoss

What do you do with the logs? Or what do they become once you've sold them?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Quebecnewf

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 21, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

I use a Yamaha VK540. Its a work machine. The truck of snowmobiles. Both Ski-doo and Artic Cat make truck models as well. Check out their web pages. The VK 540 is no longer made it has been replaced by a L Cooled Viking Professional.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 21, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

I saw them into 2X material or whatever else the customer wants.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!