iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut

Started by Riggs, September 27, 2012, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I've been sitting on some chestnut (Chinese I think) that came out of a yard, mainly because I knew it would max out my little Norwood. Yesterday after work I decided I'd finally dive in. Here are the pics to prove it.

Here is what I started with, the trunk and some limb wood.

I thought the grain looked really nice.

I saved the trunk for last. It got too dark to saw before I finished.

This was for my wife's Grandfather, he was pretty happy with what he got.

Just as an observation, the chestnut seemed to be really gummy. I had to trim in places with a chainsaw so the carriage would pass, and it was really hard on the saw. I don't know if this is common to chestnut or just this log.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Okrafarmer

I milled one small chinese chestnut log a couple years ago. Beautiful wood. I made the mistake of letting it sit around too long, and it split something fierce. The longer it sits, I guess, the more it splits and splinters. Next time I will definitely mill it as soon as I get it.

Very beautiful wood. Don't let it sit around. I wish I had more advice about drying it, but mine had already dried out a good bit before I milled it, and "my mileage varied."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Yeah, dry it slow and hopefully it won't split.  If it is anything like pecan, it looks fantastic off the saw, but after it dries............ :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

It mills a lot easier than pecan!  :D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Riggs

I've never had any pecan, it did mill really good once I got it down to a managable size.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

WDH

According to one respected source on here, "Pecan is the Devil".

I believe that that this principle of the Universe, like Gravity, can be attributed to the wisdom of Hackberry Jake ;D.

That chestnut lumber does look very fine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I have a couple of big pecan logs waiting to be milled up. One was harvested about a week or two ago, and the other about two years ago.

WDH

Sounds like some sparks are gonna fly  ;D.

Okrafarmer

Well, there is always the pulp yard. . . . . .

grweldon

My very first experience with my new sawmill was milling pecan.  It was horrible.  All I had was 10 deg. blades.  Everyone told me I needed to try 4 degree blades.  I finished sawing the one tree I had bucked (I have 6 more to cut) with the 10 deg. blades.  It was very slow going.  I bought some 4 deg. woodmizer blades but haven't had a chance to cut any more pecan since.  I will be going back to it now that it is getting cooler.

It was a very disappointing experience.  The lumber that I managed to get that was suitable for drying is still in the pile.  What I milled was very pretty.  I plan to make flooring for my house out of it sometime down the road when I harvest and dry enough of it.  My experience verifys that "Pecan is the devil!".  I like sawing pine!  Never had a problem with it at all, but I don't think I've yet to reach the 1000 board foot cut mark yet so I'm still very inexperienced!

Good luck!

Sure wish I had some of that chestnut to mill!  Very pretty!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Okrafarmer

I always watch for the chestnut. Haven't gotten another log since.

Thank You Sponsors!