iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I like your set up, I typically just sleep in my truck on overnight jobs lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Quote from: Crossroads on September 08, 2018, 10:30:37 PM
I like your set up, I typically just sleep in my truck on overnight jobs lol
I'm only 5 years older than you and no way do I want to sleep on the ground or in the bed of the truck anymore! LOL
Love the camper but tomorrow's job is without it.  Long offroad haul to get in (though I'd done it twice with a camper in the past) and just one day.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Does feel good to get the mill ready to move again but I did use it to trim off some floor boards for the cabin recently :D  Funny, it makes a racket for my neighborhood! hahaha....at the cabin no one would know but at our home not far off the gold course it raises eye brows :)  ;D 8)

OlJarhead

You might recall a Walnut log I went to measure earlier in the summer.  Later I bucked it up for the guy as he didn't have a big enough saw and finally, after taking the summer off I returned to get it milled up for him.

Truth is, Walnut is NOT my favorite wood to mill LOL but I'll do it.

On this trip my wife came along and took some pics.  I figured 90 minutes of milling and took 2 hours but she survived ;)

The logs were ok with some crotch in them but he didn't care to have the crotch milled so much as useable wood and stuff he could make cutting boards and things out of.  So I milled the logs down giving him the most options I could think of.

And since he works in health care he understood that he had to do the heavy lifting more than most but I still couldn't help by grab the cant hook once or twice.

This weekend on a job I pinched my left hand between the hook and haft, heck I'm not even sure how exactly but I did and half my hand is bruised pretty severely.  Here I am trying NOT to add to my injuries and yet, maybe this old jarhead just can't help it.

In truth, I showed him how to use the cant hook and that was it.  He did the labor!

Had to mask up and use the shield as the wind was blowing massive amounts of walnut dust right at me for a while.  Sucked and made me think of charging $100/hr for walnut!

He ended up with a nice bunch of lumber out of that one log including a mantel piece and 3 2" x 12" pieces he hopes to turn into a counter.  Lovely stuff even if I have to rinse out my sinuses now! lol

I did a fair bit of softwood on Sunday too but haven't gone through the few pics I took yet (will soon) or done the math on production either.  Also left my large CANT hook at the last job :(  Luckily it was a wood one and not a 5 foot Logrite!  I'm sure I'll get it back but it's two hours away so we'll see,

In other news the VA has agreed my hands, knees, shoulder etc are all service connected so at least I don't have to worry about the cost of surgery when it comes time which was something that concerned me as the arthritis has really kicked in this summer and I'm told I'll need surgery on my left thumb sooner than later and my right before long too.  Makes it tough to do this kind of work but I enjoy it and am trying to learn from Lynn and others who run their mills and don't hurt themselves (crossing fingers).

Cheers

Magicman

Looking good Erik.  :)

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 11, 2018, 08:42:15 AMand am trying to learn from Lynn and others who run their mills and don't hurt themselves
I have pictures to the contrary.   laugh_at  smiley_smash whiteflag_smiley 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I just keep aspiring to be like all of you guys one day. I don't even think I would mind milling in the rain. I do find myself wanting hydraulics already...

WV Sawmiller

Erik,

Is that a solid or a screen mask? I use a screen mask for weedeating and like it better than safety glasses. I'd think a solid mask would fog up too bad..

Pretty wood you got there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Solid face shield.  I only use it when the wind is blowing the dust right at me and I'm eating it like mad.  I hate walnut dust!  But ya, I wear the face shield when I need to and safety glasses always.

Weekend_Sawyer

What is it about walnut dust? I have sawed some and find it no more offensive than the oaks I usually mill.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

I never make a pass unless I am wearing...

one of these.  Probably because I spent too many hours in a previous life breathing sanding dust.  These days a little dust is too much dust.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

I must admit I hate facemasks and don't use them often but when milling walnut that fine dust is just too much and I live in a place the wind blows pretty much constantly (and for some reason always in my face! :snowball: )

goose63

Hay Erick I thought you were in Washington not here in North Dakota  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lawg Dawg

I have a dust collector attached to my mill and 2 fans on my back when milling everything... but find white oak and cedar most offensive...very fine dust that goes everywhere
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

OlJarhead

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on September 11, 2018, 10:54:39 PM
I have a dust collector attached to my mill and 2 fans on my back when milling everything... but find white oak and cedar most offensive...very fine dust that goes everywhere
Hard to do remote ;) and Walnut is superfine dust!  Maybe it's the tight grain???  Either way, I like pine and fir :) and Locust is ok, so too is Oak, Apple and just about all other wood I've milled....walnut?  Yuk! LOL but I'm happy to do it ;)

78NHTFY

OlJarhead--hey, who's that Joe sitting in on your camper steps? :D :D :D.  A toast to you!!!!  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

Crossroads

How far from I90 are you Erik? I should be passing by next week and would like to stop by and say howdy while I stretch my legs for a few min. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Tramp Bushler

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 14, 2016, 08:12:15 PM
My job timer starts when I park my butt in the truck seat to head to job site and stops when I shut the mill off at the end of the day.

Maintenance happens AFTER The mill is shut off at end of day. De duct 1 hour for lunch and coffee breaks.

Keeps it real simple.

I know I'm way late to the party. But this is how I look at it.
This topic is of interest to me because I just put money down on a used Mighty Mite band sawmill.
My primary objective is to mill the lumber I need to build my home. But afterwards, if there is intrest, in milling for people.
My big question is what does everyone expect for a daily $ total.
The mill I'm buying is VERY affordable. Its a Gen 2 , which is a smaller mill. 17 horse Kohler .  Hydraulic raise and lower and travel.
Manual log loading and turning and dogging.
I know what I figure for When I do arborist contract work . And timber falling . But, I've only ever run a sawmill as an hourly employee.
Does owning and operating a small mill have any kind of standard hourly rate ? Asuming a guy is steadily producing accurate , square lumber ?
This may not be the right thread for these questions. If not please feel free to move this post to an appropriate thread . And my apologize to the OP.
I am very impressed with your production Jarhead. Very good thread .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Magicman

My hourly rate very closely reflects my bf rate.  Sometimes over sometimes under, but always very close.

Bandmill Bandit

Like MM, My hourly rate is a product of my average monthly gross BF production divided by the sawmill hours for that month, X .30 cents, rounded to the nearest $10 bucks. I am at a $100 an hour right now and I DO NOT saw by the BF for any one. I don't even quote a BF rate for any reason to any one.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Tramp Bushler

OK, thank y'all.
So, there is money to be made with a sawmill. That's very good to know.
I'm sure I will have many many learning curves.
Milling my own lumber will be a very good start to my training. For my own lumber I will be doing my own logging.
Where we are moving to that may not be the case tho.
For the price I'm getting this mill at. It will fully pay for itself by sawing the house lumber. ( I need a couple hundred 2x12s. )
Thanks again. This is a Great thread.
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Crossroads on September 22, 2018, 07:51:51 AM
How far from I90 are you Erik? I should be passing by next week and would like to stop by and say howdy while I stretch my legs for a few min.
Less than a mile.  When are you coming through?

OlJarhead

I charge by the hour and think it's a function of the location as much as anything.  I have a set rate (though some times I debate that with myself) and it works for me.  Big logs, little logs, poor help, great help, the rate is the same:  $85/hr

I also charge for setup and delivery. 

This works well as it doesn't matter what my customers have or how good they are at helping me.  The rate is the same.  However, I work HARD to produce the best lumber I can at the best production rate I can so their price per board foot is a good price under the conditions I'm working.  I often look at the BF price for them and for my own knowledge but in the end I charge by the hour and have more than once said "you're paying me by the hour" when asked to do something other than run my mill.

I'm comfortable with that rate and haven't had any issue charging it.  I think of it this way:  if you go to the shop to have your car worked on, there is a rate and that's what you will pay regardless of how simple or complex the problem.

Crossroads

I also charge by the hour, I was about to up my hourly rate in Oregon, but now that I've moved, I'm keeping it at $75/hr for a while. Obviously it depends on what I'm cutting, but the times I've ran the numbers while cutting 2x6's with good logs. It comes out to about 40% cheaper for the customer. Cutting 1x4's things slow down a bit though, so it all averages out. 

biggkidd

Great thread Jarhead.  Just read from day one over the last few days. Hope your ailments heal up speedy and completely. Having MS I know how working with pain is.  Hoping to pick up a new LT15 or 15 wide in the next week or two and give it a whirl. Reading about your adventures has been great. So thanks!
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Thank You Sponsors!