iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally found one!

Started by Tam-i-am, March 29, 2018, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

The whole portable sawmill and cant hook thing was unknown to me before I met Kevin.  When he ran a portable sawmill I was amazed he made any money.  Then we started Logrite and again I was thinking how many cant hooks a tool I never heard of could the world need.

I learned there was a company called Amidon that made sawmills and cant hooks.  I became obsessed with finding one of those cant hooks because they were produced right near where I lived as a teen.  I lived on Amidon Rd!  I had found one but the handle and some of the hardware was not original.
Yesterday, Kevin met an oldtimer who had one listed on craigs list.  He was secretive about where he lived.  So Kevin drove to the town from which his family once farmed.  After some discussion Kevin learned the man lived on Bantle Rd yes land that used to be part of the family farm!

Seems like it was destined that I should get this cant hook!  She is a beauty!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Always good to hear of another dream realized.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Nice find.  Since I am not going to ever use it again, I guess that I should make a wall hanger out of my old short cant hook. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

I'm going to hang it next to my other hard to come by cant hook.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jack S

Nice story Tammy and what a keepsake to end up with.  Jack

thecfarm

Never heard of them,but glad you have one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Every cant hook I have used is blacksmith made so none of them have lettering to identify the manufacturer so that is a new one for me. Glad you found one.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

petefrom bearswamp

That is a neat old baby cant hook.
Maybe I could get my wife to help at the mill if she had a pink one, but not likely because  A) that  she would help and B )that the pink one would be available.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

RjMaan

Congrats on finding such a precious thing and it is new to me. I have never saw it before.

moodnacreek

Congratulations.  In my collection are several interesting cant hook/peavys. One, about the same as your amaidon, is an Ireland from Norwich, N.Y.  I have my great grandfathers peavey and a cant hook from Orono, Me. that is very old. When I ordered a Bellsaw in 1979 they sent a 4 1/2' cant hook [ American logging tool] that still has the ash handle it came with and has been in continuous use. Wood handles on these tool either break right away or last until they rot or somebody wants to prove something. If you roll and turn logs all day llong you  want a handle that has a little spring in it and is turned down to fit your hand at the end. If you look at really old handles they are very small where the hand goes and they never break there anyhow.

Tam-i-am

Moodnacreek

do you have a pic of your old cant hooks?  I agree old tools are interesting.  I only have a few old saws and now my cant hook.

moodnacreek

Tamiam,  thanks for showing interest. I am new to the digital world, no cell phone etc. but my wife has a small camera that can start the process of posting photos, we did it once, took all nite. I would love to show you my collection and hope to soon,                           Doug

Tam-i-am

Doug

any chance you are coming to our open house next week?  you only live n the next state over.

Tammy

moodnacreek

Ttamiam, thanks for invitation, have to be here Saturday. We have been trying to do photos and post them, very difficult for me. here goes:

Tam-i-am

Doug

you have quite a few!  I recognize a few of them in the pic.  I see you have both peavey and cant style.

thanks for posting the pics!!!!

moodnacreek

Yes, I have collected junk all my life. Not shown are 2 'farmer' type cant hooks that are rather clumsy. They are solid wood except the hook and pivot pin.     It's too bad the metal ones that you currently make [?] could not be tapered. I am sure that would be absolutely too expensive.    Doug

Tam-i-am

I'd really like one of these.  I saw this in a museum in Maine.

moodnacreek

Never saw that style but it makes sense given the time. It wouldn't be hard to make.  The Ireland I showed has the wrong style handle. It should have a 'flat mill roll on handle' like peavey still makes. I was lucky to get an Ireland catalog [re-pro] and it shows this tool or I would not know. Snow and Neely was another maker. We got a peavey from them once and it was worthless. I have a bark scraper from them, very heavy.  It's amazing there are still 4 or 5 companies still making these tools,  Doug

Brucer

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 12, 2018, 12:34:23 PM
Yes, I have collected junk all my life. Not shown are 2 'farmer' type cant hooks that are rather clumsy. They are solid wood except the hook and pivot pin.     It's too bad the metal ones that you currently make [?] could not be tapered. I am sure that would be absolutely too expensive.    Doug
I actually have a LogRite Peavey style hook with a reduced handle at the end.
It's a standard 60" LogRite peavey, with the top of a badly bent 30" LogRite "Mill Special" pressed into it (it was the only part of the mill special I could salvage). The smaller diameter top of the handle makes it much easier for me to work with.
And just so's everyone knows -- the mill special got bent in (three dimensions) when it got between some 30" logs, with the top one weighing in at over 2000 pounds. And, yes, Kevin at LogRite replaced the handle even though I told him I'd pay for it because that kind of abuse is way more than any warranty should cover.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

moodnacreek

wow' somebody agrees about the smaller grip. I was starting to think I had very small hands. My taped up wooden handles have been run over by some big logs while I sat on the loader. In the sawmill nothing is un breakable.

Tam-i-am

Last week a logger friend of mine walked in with this.  It is probably as close as I will ever get to a dingle hook.  There are no markings on it at all.  There have been many arguments about how the hook was made and how old the tool is.

moodnacreek

Tam, that's a cross between the dingle and the farmer style I tried to describe. On the farmer style they slot the wood through and insert the bill hook and pin it so it swings. The one you show is a better style and more compact. Keep collecting, Doug

Magicman

A HickoRite.

And an AllRite. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!