iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I finally found a use for my rocks

Started by thecfarm, August 12, 2016, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Now I just have to build it.   :D
This was a cattle pound in Jefferson,ME.

You might be able to see a metal ring which I suppose the door was hooked to on the lower right of the opening. This was the only way in and out.

This is standing in the back,looking towards the opening. Might be 30 feet across. Was built in a circle and a good job was done on the round part too.

I think the walls are about 8 feet tall.

I wonder how many cattle was bought and sold here???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Looks like all the water leaked out.
:D :D :D

Herb

WV Sawmiller

For years I have threatened to hang a sign in front of my place "Anyone caught stealing rocks or multi-flora roses will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law." My thoughts were maybe people would think they were valuable and steal them and I could get rid of the dang things.

I like you use better than any I have come up (which generally turns out to be fill).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberlinetree

And for only 28 dollars! It's amazing what they did with what they had. Thanks for sharing!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Chuck White

A lot of good engineering went into that wall, to be still standing today!

We have lots of stone walls/fences in this area, but nothing like that.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

The town pound was for stray animals. You had to pay a fine to get them back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2016, 08:02:53 AM
The town pound was for stray animals. You had to pay a fine to get them back.

Thanks Dave!

I misread the OP and thought it said pond rather than pound...

Makes a lot more sense now.

Herb

coxy

I read it wrong to so don't feel bad   :) the 28 bucks then would about 28k today or more

lowpolyjoe

That's impressive - hard to tell the scale without your comment about it being ~8' tall. 

Never heard of a cattle pound, thanks for the explanation Dave.

21incher

That is really cool, thanks for sharing.  How long you think it will take to build yours? ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Well,I thought cattle was bought and sold there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I suppose if you didn't pay your fine, they might sell off your cattle..
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Lots of info on google. There's one in Turner,about ½ hour from me. I did the google map tour and saw it.  ;D Going that way tomorrow to check it out.

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

thecfarm

Orrington,maybe gone through it a few times,is the pound close to any roads,landmarks? I tried google,found a couple pictures,yes,on route 15,but where? Brenda is all set to go seaching for these pounds. We like to go day trips. Never know what else we come across on our travels. We was just about up there about 2 weeks ago.Looks like 202 would be a good route,but don't know about crossing the river. Looks like about 2 hours,one way.

coalsmok

I used some of our local rocks and sand and built a small patio at the fronts steps. Had $20 in it for gas to haul in all in to the house.

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on August 13, 2016, 09:07:38 PM
Orrington,maybe gone through it a few times,is the pound close to any roads,landmarks? I tried google,found a couple pictures,yes,on route 15,but where? Brenda is all set to go seaching for these pounds. We like to go day trips. Never know what else we come across on our travels. We was just about up there about 2 weeks ago.Looks like 202 would be a good route,but don't know about crossing the river. Looks like about 2 hours,one way.
If coming from brewer its on right hand side near the perk plant and railroad tracks. Right beside road.Perk plant is where they take the garbage to burn..
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Peter Drouin

We have stone pens all over here. One or two in every town.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim_Rogers

I've seen one in southern NH, maybe on 121 in Atkinson.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ianab

I thought of this thread today.

How would you like to plow this field  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Thanks Dave!

Herb

Off topic, but around here and other parts of central Florida, they used to construct concrete cattle pools with ramps on each end.  They were essentially arsenic vats that they would drive the cattle through to kill parasites (cattle ticks).  All of this was before my time but I have seen the remnants of the vats. http://www.floridahealth.gov/environmental-health/drinking-water/cattledipvathome.html

Herb

Caveman

Caveman

thecfarm

Ianab,next time you are in Maine make sure you stop and see me. I don't remember any white mountain like that.  :D
BUT when the neighbor had thier land logged,the logger hauled out tree length,limbs and all to chip,they exposed ALOT of rocks. I almost think I could have jumped from rock to rock and went across thier land.
I do see that picture of yours has all grass. Someone mowing that?? Here in Maine that would be all woods after about 10 years of no mowing. Or my fields would be all woods.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ianab on August 21, 2016, 03:37:03 AM
I thought of this thread today.

How would you like to plow this field  :D

I would love to have all those rocks...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

QuoteI do see that picture of yours has all grass. Someone mowing that?? Here in Maine that would be all woods after about 10 years of no mowing. Or my fields would be all woods.

Part of a dairy farm. Couple of hundred cows march in there and graze it every few weeks.

Otherwise it would soon revert to rain forest.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

This one is in Orrington,as Woodhauler said.

This one was just about 6 feet tall.

Note the rocks. The one in Jefferson has more round rocks. This ones had almost all flat rocks. Mortar was also used to hold the rocks in place. Not many flat rocks in my area.

Thank You Sponsors!