iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulpwood price

Started by CALJREICH, March 11, 2014, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramicorn

I imagine they are probably using those plantation density management diagrams things, where entries/thinnings are based on average stand diameter or something like that.

GuyInHuntsville

Would all this underbrush be considered pulpwood?

POC thank you for asking those questions. I'm new to this stuff as well.

SwampDonkey

Possibly if there are any min. 4" diameter trees, and not shrub species. Trees have to be debarked and there is a minimum size that is required to get the job done. Pulp chips have to be clean of bark.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Here at Verso,in Jay,ME I don't know if they use chips for making paper or not. In Jay,they will take pulp down to 3-4 inches.  I don't really know the lengths any more. I do know 8 foot white pine. Than there is a place in Farmington that takes hardwood,I think 20 foot lengths. Than that is shipped to Rumford. None of the pulp wood is debarked at the landowners lot before being trucked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, 4" is breast height diameter. That was always the minimum when cruising timber up here. If it was not 4" where the tape was wrapped, it was not tallied. But if they require 16' semi tree length or longer, that 4" may be too small to get enough diameter on the top end. It all has to be chipped or ground either by the mill,  logger  or crew boss at a wood yard and required to be clean. Never heard tell of any mills using whole logs to make paper. Now that would be interesting. ;D Used to be a lot of wood yards around where buyers would take wood from loggers and chip the wood, then send to a mill. That worked for awhile until they went broke slowly doing it. Pulp mills take planer shavings and sawdust from sawmills. You have to know your markets and what their specs are. Not one size fits all, doesn't work that way. Also them specs get less rigid when they need wood bad. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I don't think Jay BUYS chips to make paper,is what I meant. I have no idea what the spec are now. Last I knew anything over 4 feet to 8 feet long,4 inches across,be it soft or hard wood.
Rumford has the incline that unloads chip trucks. I have no idea what Jay has.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It's hard to say. Some mills have contracts for chips and all we might see is specs for pulp logs as a woodlot owner. I know I can find out, they got phones.  ;D

Corley5

3.5" diam. inside the bark on the small end of a 100" stick for LP in Newberry, Mi.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Here's our contract specs with the Jay mill.

8' Poplar (aspen) - Min top 5"  Min butt 7" Maxi butt 16" length 90"- 96"
50% rot, requires 4' risers, (permanently attached) stakes at least 50" apart.

$60.64/ton  or $151.60/cord  $US

Mattawamkeag and Island Falls takes bigger wood and 16' min. length and 4" top min, 21" butt max. $53.79/ton $US

By contract I mean all of us woodlot owners/producers are covered under the marketing board contract in NB. That's not to say it's the same for those in Maine.

thecfarm

No contract for white pine,fir,spruce,hardwood?

snowstorm

you have trucks hauling all the way to jay from your area? they must have a bunk on the truck and grub enought for a couple days. must be at least 7 or 8 hrs one way

1270d

Quote from: Corley5 on March 16, 2014, 05:00:39 PM
3.5" diam. inside the bark on the small end of a 100" stick for LP in Newberry, Mi.

How do you deal with the bridge crossing, I've always been curious?  Is it by the load, or ton or......?

SwampDonkey

Yes TL spruce/fir. They also have a wood yard over here in NB. I'd have to check, but maybe two. I know our boards have scales and slashers to process wood for some mill contracts. This time of the year they get filled up because of road closures coming up. Specs are TL spruce/fir, min top 3.5" , max 21" butt. Length 12' or longer. Cut to length 12'8" and 24'.  Rot 4-9" minimal Rot 10"+ 50% of butt diameter. Sound red is okay. No soft rot. Has to be fresh wood only. $50.86/ton in Bucksport.

They also take studwood there at Bucksport @ $72.37/TON, Min top 4", Min butt 7", Length 12' or longer.

No pine or hardwoods that I can see.

SwampDonkey

Snowstorm, mostly southern NB I suspect. But it's either through Calais or Houltan. We have Huber up my way, which is not far away. I don't have those specs. Not every marketing board has their specs online but the info can be picked up at the local office.

POC

Thanks for all the answers guys.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

SwampDonkey

Around my area white pine is just about none. Maybe a couple pine on a 100 acre woodlot if your lucky, mostly none. So if there one or two pine they will be left standing. When you drive the roads here you can see all those junk pine left.

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,White pine don't grow good up there? White pine paid alot of my bills here. Not talking pulp either,logs. Lots of logs.

Corley5

I don't deal with Da Bridge.  I sell it roadside by the cord  ;D :) and it gets converted from the tons the mill pays to cords for me.  It works.  Mark's told me what his max load is but I don't know now.  Any load going to Da UP needs to look good.  The Bridge is a catch point and they'll pull a truck for no reason at all. 

SwampDonkey

It does grow well, but in my area it was all cut and anything not worth cutting is standing junk or impossible to get to. We have blister rust and weevils bad they ruin white pine up here. The ground and climate for white pine is good, just them 'introduced' pests. Plus all the high grading and farm land clearing. Other parts of NB have a lot of white pine and a lot less land for farms. The McCains have pushed farm clearing big time the last half century in this area, it's the potato belt. I've heard old Harrison (now dead) tell DNR to keep their trees in Fredericton.  That old coot is where he belongs. ;)

York, Charlotte and Northumberland counties have the pines.

Corley5

I see mill prices.  What's everyone getting on the landing/roadside for pulp?  Prices in the NE seem to be higher than we get.  $45 a cord for hardwood and aspen roadside.  $35.00 a cord for basswood.
  White pine isn't worth planting here because of weevil and blister rust  :(

SwampDonkey

Those are mill delivered prices Corley, so I couldn't comment on roadside price. They do plant white pine here, but 1 in 1000 trees type of thing, mixed in. The moose destroyed or have been destroying most all the 3500 I planted on my ground. I have lost a small number to rust. No weevil much because I planted them sheltered. But my woods is full of ribies, so no stopping rust.

GuyInHuntsville

Thank you SwampDonkey for answering my question ealier and to everyone for discussing all of this...Good info on this thread for a newcomer like me. :P

CALJREICH

Quote from: CALJREICH on March 11, 2014, 06:11:58 PM
We have 50 acres of mostly pine. I had a forester from a mill tell me they are paying $3 to $4 a ton for pulpwood. They cut and haul. We thought this was pretty low but really don't know. We live in Pennsylvania. I would appreciate advise on this from those of you that understand this business. Should I ask for more money or accept 3 or $4 a ton?
Thank you

Well we are getting $4 a ton for our junk pine. Thanks for the info.

Southside

Just curious, Where are you?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

timberlinetree

We get 20 a ton picked up down to 4 inch top 8 - 22 ft logs and not getting rich.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!