iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Wizard debarker

Started by Toolman, August 01, 2008, 07:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolman

Looking at Log Wizard debarker attachment for chainsaw. Anybody have much succes with these?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Dave Shepard

I've used them quite a bit, and they can really make a difference in blade life. The one I ran was on a Husky 55. I ran the knives way out, so it took all the saw had, but I could open up an 8" wide by 12' long face in about half a minute. I had it down so I only had to open two faces with the wizard. Running the knives out farther than they recommend seems to eat up bearings, but they are cheap and easily replaced. It will also rip off red oak bark, if they are sharp and set out a ways. At the other mill, we have one set up on a Stihl bar, I've used my 036 on it with great results, and a friend uses his 066. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

they've been around a good while now.

It's a pretty good tool for cutting a trench in front of a band blade or circle saw, but it's still a lot of work.  I have an old-timer friend who used to use one to rough out dough bowls and I've seen them used to pare down a log used in log construction.  The trick is to find the point that the blades will begin cutting.  The tool is essentially a planer and the blades (knives) have to protrude enough to do their work.  Lots of folks get frustrated with them because they don't set the knives out far enough.

I thought about getting one but found that a sharp axe does a good job if you know how to handle one.  

The debarkers that come on band saw mills do a similar thing except that they are based on a chainsaw chain rather than a 4 inch planer blade and are quite functional, for protecting sawmill blades,  when lined up correctly.

backwoods sawyer

"The debarkers that come on band saw mills do a similar thing except that they are based on a chainsaw chain rather than a 4 inch planer blade and are quite functional, for protecting sawmill blades,  when lined up correctly."

The debarker system that Woodmizer uses pushes the mud saw along the log and it has a tendency to bind up. The debarker that baker uses on there mills is pulled along the log eliminating the binding up problem making it much more effective. Both need to be adjusted correctly to be effective.

A log wizard is much cheaper and more effective then the woodmizer debarker. You will have to change blades more often on the log wizard although you can run blades until they are well worn and still effectively remove bark.

Are they worth the money? That depends on the logs that you mill.

If your log supply is consistently clean and you rarely get over sized logs, No, they are not cost effective.

If you get logs that have rocks and mud in them and mill over sized logs on a regular basis. Yes, you would pay for one in no time.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on August 01, 2008, 08:53:50 PM
"The debarkers that come on band saw mills do a similar thing except that they are based on a chainsaw chain rather than a 4 inch planer blade and are quite functional, for protecting sawmill blades,  when lined up correctly."
The debarker system that Woodmizer uses pushes the mud saw along the log and it has a tendency to bind up. The debarker that baker uses on there mills is pulled along the log eliminating the binding up problem making it much more effective. Both need to be adjusted correctly to be effective.

The debarker on my mill doesn't bind up or build up with mud/dirt.  It really spins and it does leave a clean path for the blade to follow.
If anyone is having trouble with their debarker, perhaps the motor needs work if it's not spinning fast enough.
I've had my mill since the 3rd of May, and I've adjusted my debarker twice.  So I really don't see it as an obstacle to be dealt with on a "regular basis".
The debarker is a virtual "necessity" IMO!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom Sawyer

A log wizard is much cheaper and more effective then the woodmizer debarker. You will have to change blades more often on the log wizard although you can run blades until they are well worn and still effectively remove bark.

If your log supply is consistently clean and you rarely get over sized logs, No, they are not cost effective.

If you get logs that have rocks and mud in them and mill over sized logs on a regular basis. Yes, you would pay for one in no time.

Having used both the Log Wizard and a WM debarker fairly extensively (more than 50 mbft cut) I have to disagree with you here backwoods sawyer.  The only time that the WM debarker binds is when there is a branch that was not cut flush with the log sticking out.  I never have to clean the blade.  On logs with really thick bark (walnut) it is not as effective.  I also have never had to adjust the blade to line up with the band in the year and a half that I have had my mill.

On the other hand, the Log Wizard, while it does work effectively, the time that it takes to use it will cut into your production, even if it is only a minute or two for each log.  Then you also have the need for another piece of equipment to look after.

If I was just sawing weekends I would consider a Log Wizard, but the WM debarker is a class above. 

I also disagree with your comment about clean logs.  In my experience even logs that look clean have stuff in the bark that will dull your blade more quickly.  A debarker is worth the money unless your logs are already debarked :)

Tom

Dave Shepard

The only time I don't run the debarker, or use the Wizard, is when the bark is loose enough to slip off with an axe. The newer generation of Wood-Mizer debarkers are really great. The older belt driven style, I have not had as good luck with. I've only had to stop once because the debarker got caught in 146 hours, and that was a poorly manufactured log.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

Poorly manufactured logs seem to show up frequently.

I discontinued the use of my log wizard, I spent too much time sharpening the blades and adjusting them.  I have use a barking spud, fan the chainsaw bar, axe, drawknife, wire brush or any thing to get the dirt off.  I finally got set up with a mud saw which makes a big difference, well worth the expense.  The log wizard also ties up a second saw.  On a 80 degree + day the last thing I want to do is use a log wizard.   Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Brad_S.

It is also completely useless on frozen mud. Blades dull to nubs almost instantly.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Toolman

Thanks for all of the responses. Based on what I read, I'm gonna make a barking spud. Keep my wire brush and leave it at that.
Moonhill kinda sold me. Appreciate it.
I just want to say this is one heck of a forum, always very informitive. Thanks again guys. Happy sawing!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

backwoods sawyer

Apparently, you guys are not running the same version of debarker as is on my mill. As I have stated in other post I am running a proto type mill, and the debarker is hydraulically activated. If it is cutting down low on a log it will follow the cut, but on large logs, it will climb up onto the log two or three times in a cut making it practically useless, unless the log has a lot of dirt/mud on it. The motor on it was rebuilt less then two months ago, including new brushes, bearings and the shaft had to be welded, remachined, and grooved. 
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tom

mine must be different.  It's a hydraulic tool on a Baker 3638 and cuts true to the band.   Sometimes I wish I could shallow it up a little. It cuts too good. I'll have to look for an adjustment.  Probably has one.

backwoods sawyer

Tom you must have missed my earlier post, as I agree with you that the Backer debarker is a much better design that eliminates the binding problem.

Chuck and Tom sawyer nowhere did I state that the debarker builds up with dirt and mud. I did refer to it as a mud saw rather then a debarker because that is essentially what it is.

Tom

I went back and looked and remember reading it now.   It must be my senility surfacing.  What month is it again?  Didn't we just have Christmas?  :-\ ;D

ADAMINMO

I am pretty sure that there is not an adjustment for the cut depth on the Baker Debarker.The depth is determined by the outer guard of the Debarker.

Tom

That should make a pretty good depth control.  Maybe I could put some Duct Tape on it to hold the blade out some.  :D :D

ADAMINMO

You could take sheet metal and add some to the ring part that slides along the log. I have seen that done before. Takes a small drill bit , small tap , and small screws. I think the rim of the ring is 1/4" thick so you nees something smaller than that to screw on the sheet metal shim. But it can be done.

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Tom on August 06, 2008, 01:45:43 PM
I went back and looked and remember reading it now.   It must be my senility surfacing.  What month is it again?  Didn't we just have Christmas?  :-\ ;D

That's supposed to be serentiy, Tom.  Not senility.   

All that stuff just doesn't matter as much as it used to.    :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tom Sawyer

Hey Backwoods, your debarker sounds significantly different from the standard WM.  Sorry for implying that you said it gets clogged with dirt.  As you can tell, I love my debarker and wouldn't buy a mill without it.

Tom

moonhill

My debarker is very simple, electric and swivels to the contour of the log.  The blade is comprised of 3, 7-1/4" skill saw blades, stacked with a 1/4" thick round plate about 1/2" smaller than the saw blades which acts as the depth stop.  I got my hand caught in it once, 27 stitches.  That won't happen again.  Being electric and earmuffs on I didn't realize it was running, the saw was off.  I have it switched differently now.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

paka

what about a presserwasher ? I new  at this............... PAKA
do't die with your music still in you!!!Paka

Dave Shepard

Pressure washing can work, but it adds another step to the process. You probably don't want to do it right near the mill, it's going to make a bit of a mess. :)

Dave

StorminN

Tim, do you have any pictures of that to share?

Thanks,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!