iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Size help for an LT15

Started by Andy White, May 08, 2014, 10:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Today, a friend came over to talk sawmills. He said that he had just came from the Texas distributor for Woodmizer. He is looking at the LT15, and asked me a question that I did not know the answer to. We went to their website and looked at the specs but did not see the data. How tall of a slab can it cut from the blade to the wheel housing above the blade? My mill will cut 7", but that is really pushing it. Any LT15 owners with the answer ?  He is worried about cutting 8"x8" beams. I told him that they can be cut on a machine with a 1" clearance if you cut to target size and flip and repeat, but I think he don't understand. Can anyone help?    Thanks
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

barbender

I don't know the throat depth on an LT15,  but if he thinks he is going to saw many logs big enough that he is taking 8" thick flitches off on an LT15 he better eat his wheaties (You're probably talking a 30"+ log to get 3-8" cants). Has he watched you operate your mill so he understands how a log is broken down?
Too many irons in the fire

Andy White

barbender,
Yes , I think that he is thinking of squaring a cant then cutting more than 1 beam from each log. I told him that I always cut side lumber till I get to target size on each log. Maybe I should let him load and cut a beam on mine to see how that won't be an easy task! I don't think he has ever seen a mill cutting before, except on a video.
I may have to school him.
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Jemclimber

On my 15 I can cut right about 8 inches if the cant is all the way toward the dogs. If i center the cant on the carriage away from the angled guard, there is easily 10 inches of clearance. Looking at the saw head below you can see where the angled part would hit the cant and give more room if centered.        Hope that helps. 
lt15

barbender

Jemclimber, I am quite impressed with your ability to draw with slashes, brackets and hyphens ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Jemclimber

That's what having daughters who only communicate by texting will do for you.   :D They have some real talent, making all kinds of animals and things.
lt15

Sixacresand

I have made them with a WM LT10.   I selected a "right size", straight log and cut and turn it down to 8 X 8. One beam per log which included the pith.  Which is what I would do on the big mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bill Gaiche

Cant answer about LT15, but my home built with LT15 wheels will cut a can't pushed  all the way to the stops 8 1/2" and in the center of the bunks 11". bg

Thank You Sponsors!