iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Thread, Noob be nice

Started by resqd1, May 09, 2014, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resqd1

Tried searching but not sure what to search for. Wondering thoughts from others, been lurking a long time but finally made an account. I am thinking about a bandsaw mill. I have a low budget for one, or in my wife's words no budget, but that is another discussion. Anywho, I have seen some saw out there made with rubber auto tires for the drive wheels instead of a big steel wheel is this a bad thing or something to shy away from?
Me and My Stihls

drobertson

If you really want to saw, I would suggest making an envelope and stashing away cash, and getting one that has support and works without too many issues, no need to upset the apple cart,  times are tough for many folks, a throw together could be fun for you but back at the house might be a different story, it is at times with a pretty good working mill.    jmo
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, resqd1.  Your sawing future really depends upon whether you want to saw a few logs and make some hobby woodworking lumber or whether you might want to develop a sawing business.  Your location, log availability, sawing/lumber market, and your personal ability are all key factors.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

resqd1

I appreciate the advice, truly, still I don't think my question was addressed, or it was and I didn't understand the answer. Is rubber auto tire wheels for drive wheels bad? Like Turner Mills uses, or just find one with steel wheels like sequoia or hud-son etc. I don't think I will be able to stash away enough for a woodmizer or norwood. Unless someone has one that needs a pickup truck and they want to trade but I don't that right LOL. So auto tires ok or no?
Me and My Stihls

resqd1

Side note I am not sure all the uses, it will start as hobby stuff for my woodworking

Then maybe go other places from there
Me and My Stihls

Magicman

I did not offer an answer because I have never built or had any experience with a homebuilt sawmill.  Be patient, someone will come along.

That looks like a nice table.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

resqd1

Turner mills are not a homebuilt unit? I am talking ones out there, I am not looking to build one. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.
Me and My Stihls

drobertson

There's no doubt that much can be sawn with these units, no doubt,  keeping the wife happy might be a different story,  a mix of emotions for sure, lumber can be made a many of ways,  the work, and cost in another story,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

resqd1

Oh and thanks for the kind words on the table, it is 9x4 and cut from a ponderosa pine that burnt in the Telegraph Fire in Mariposa California.
Me and My Stihls

mikeb1079

i would think that a small manual mill would be perfect for you.  you can saw enough in a weekend to keep you woodworking for a long time.  i wouldn't shy away from a rubber tired mill i've heard they work just fine.  i've heard good things about several small manufacturers on here, better yet would be to find a member near you that has one and you can see it in person. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

resqd1

How would I find members near me? Thanks for the input?
Me and My Stihls

Magicman

By clicking on the "member map" above.  It is huge, so give it time to load. 

Adding your location to your profile and to the profile pin map will help others to find you.   ;D

resqd1

Soo cool thanks I will ad my location if I can figure it out
Me and My Stihls

hackberry jake

I have pondered tires as band wheels before. If I were building one, I would use tires with a heavy crown, like motorcycle tires. I have heard of peole using trailer tires and it removes the set from one side of the band over time. This has been overcome by cutting a groove in the tread where the teeth land, but I think I would still prefer motorcycle tires. You should be able to find a few either on CL or your local metal recycling business.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hackberry jake

Maybe some of those little donut tires that come with smaller cars as spares... Wonder what the diameter on those is?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 09, 2014, 11:44:13 PM
Maybe some of those little donut tires that come with smaller cars as spares... Wonder what the diameter on those is?

I'm building a mill using donut tires.  You can get them in a range of sizes.  My deciding factor (besides the band width) was I got one for free.  Mine are 21" so I bought some 1-¼" bands.  They do have quite a crown and run at 60+ psi so they are pretty hard.  I don't expect the blade to crush the crown and take the set out on one side of the blade.  Time will tell.  I'm 90% done, just need to stop messing around with my 900 other projects and get er done! :D :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

octam1

you are only 30 min from me, you are welcome to stop by and check out what we have going on and you can see a WM in action... I dont get a whole lot of time on the forum these days but you are welcome to contact me... I have sent you a pm with contact info...
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

Ianab

Well, dia of those "space saver" spares is the same as a normal tyre for whatever car it's off.  Otherwise you would drive on a lean when you had to use it.   ;)

I'd suggest that rubber types are not as good as proper metal wheels.

BUT, if you have to buy a set, and the shaft / bearings, and the engine, and all the steel... Then it's probably going to cost more than just going and buying a new mill. Woodland, EZ, even a hobby size Woodmizer.

On the other hand, if you are the DIY re-use / recycle type. Now you can pick up some used car wheels /tires/ hubs from a junk yard. A good working engine from some place. Re-use some steel. Now you can build a useful "hobby"sawmill, that actually works just fine, for only a fraction of the price.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ozarkgem

Doesn't one the factory resaws use tires for wheels? Seems like I saw an ad for them and they had the tires on them. I think it was Red in color. A local guy made one with tires and sawed up 2 houses with it. Seems to be lots of them out there. You can buy 18" pulleys for about 45.00 each new.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, resqd1.

Personally, I've only ever seen one mill that runs the blade on rubber tires and that was made by Simplicity.  Seemed to do a fine job of sawing and that was at the Woodsmens Days in Tupper Lake, NY.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

resqd1

TURNER Mills is one company that does, there is just one for sale out of Oregon that I was thinking about looking into but the price seemed high compared to maybe picking up a used Woodmizer 15

Me and My Stihls

kelLOGg

You've got that beautiful 4' wide table which looks like it was cut by a slabber and you live in the land of big trees. Have you considered getting/making a slabber?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dgdrls

Welcome aboard  Resqd 1 
Does your Screen name reflect some Fire Service work??

This may help a bit with your question

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73194.msg1107035.html#msg1107035

Best
DGdrls

hunz

Welcome to the forum!
  I wish I had the gumption to take on a diy band mill. I unfortunately am not a design artist, and completely rely on my WM to make me look like one!  I am sure the ones on here that have homegrown mills are glad they did take the time to fab one up. One question I would pose, what do you intend to use the mill for 5 years down the road? I think that may help you decide if you want to go homebuilt or save up some money first for something that you know WILL work. All band manufacturers are not created equal, even though someone who has built many created it. My first mill could hardly cut air straight, the first time I saw an lt-50 run, my life long manufacturer match had been made. I am not trying to sway you any particular way, ALL of the forum sponsors make a quality mill. Just keep in mind that my first mill, was #325 of a manufacturers production output, and I always carried my whole toolbox to the mill with me. My hat is off to the FF members who have homebuilt mills that cut straight lumber!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

resqd1

Yes it is a play on words as I am a firefighter so the rescue portion of the name, as well as I am a Christian and have been Rescued myself.

Thanks for all the other input guys.

In regards to my table, it was done on a chainsaw mill at my buddies place. It is not a solid slab.

Me and My Stihls

hackberry jake

Does the grain in the middle run perpendicular to the two boards towards the outside?

resqd1

Yes it does

Anywho back to saw talk, I am thinking I am shying away from tires.
Me and My Stihls

boscojmb

Quote from: resqd1 on May 09, 2014, 09:46:00 PM
Tried searching but not sure what to search for. Wondering thoughts from others, been lurking a long time but finally made an account. I am thinking about a bandsaw mill. I have a low budget for one, or in my wife's words no budget, but that is another discussion. Anywho, I have seen some saw out there made with rubber auto tires for the drive wheels instead of a big steel wheel is this a bad thing or something to shy away from?
When I lived in Alaska a neighbor had a band mill built by a local welding shop that used tires for band wheels. I never ran the mill myself, but it was used to build 3 houses, a 20 x 40 workshop, and 10+ small buildings without any issues with the tires. Unless you are planning to run it as a full time business, I would say that rubber tires are fine.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

SawyerBrown

First of all, welcome to the Forestry Forum, resqd1!

So I'll just share my very limited experience.  I bought a home-made "sawmill" (for $50 total!!) that used rubber trailer tires ...  This is about the only picture I have of the DanG thing (sorry for poor quality).

The thing I would say after running a WM for a couple of years now, is that I could not get the same amount of tension in the blade running over rubber, no matter how much air pressure was in the tires.  The blade would still depress into the rubber and limit the tension.  I had no way to measure it, of course, but it still seems like the "professionals" are running more tension which helps to keep the cut nice and straight.  The other problem I had with this unit, and likely is addressed by "real" manufacturers, is that there was enough "crown" on the tires that would either put a lot of pressure on the "thrust" bearing, or the blade would walk off the front. 

So, while manufacturers may be addressing these issues, my experience with running over rubber was not necessarily positive.  It at least might give you a basis for asking some very pointed questions.

Good luck!!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

resqd1

Me and My Stihls

hackberry jake

Quote from: resqd1 on May 11, 2014, 07:36:18 PM
Yes it does

have the boards in the center started splitting yet? are they glued?

resqd1

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 11, 2014, 11:29:33 PM
Quote from: resqd1 on May 11, 2014, 07:36:18 PM
Yes it does

have the boards in the center started splitting yet? are they glued?

Yeah we knew it would pull a little, was the style we were going for, wanted it to look aged, so by doing it this way it pulls against eachotehr and spreads the wood in places and then you stain inside the cracks and it give character to it. This one actually split sooner that I thought due to it having to be stored in the garage for month while the dining room was being finished. It is glued and doweled. I love the character it has now. I am not a clean line straight smooth finish kind of kind, hence the live edge on the legs and long sides.
Me and My Stihls

Thank You Sponsors!