iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulated Barn Doors

Started by Brian_Weekley, May 04, 2014, 02:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I needed a set of barn doors for my newly constructed timber frame workshop.  Instead of traditional barn doors with crossbucks, I opted for a smooth, finished-style door.  Mainly for two reasons:  I wanted the doors to be insulated and it just seems like crossbucks would potentially collect or trap water.  I'd like to give credit to Raoul Hennin (bungalow in a box), who's video on YouTube inspired my design.  This was the final design I came up with:

I think the 45 degree angled boards still give the doors that traditional look.  It's definitely worth taking the time to figure out the layout of the boards so they are evenly spaced in the frame.

First, I made an internal frame from kiln dried, dimensional lumber (1.5 inches thick).  I used 2x4's and 2x6's--some ripped to thinner widths.  I purposely positioned the internal frame members so I would have screwing substrate for the board edges and also provide solid surfaces to securely mount strap hinges.  The internal frame was constructed with biscuits and wood glue.  Care was taken to keep the frame flat and square during the glue up.

Next, I added a layer of Tyvek to the external side of the frame.

I planed my rough cut pine boards down to 3/4 inch thick.  The radial arm saw was my workhorse for this project.  I used it to rip the boards to width (8 inches wide for the rails and stiles and 6 inches wide for the field boards).  Also used it for all my crosscut and miters.

A molding head on the radial arm saw was used to cut the tongue and groove in all the boards.  However, it can be a little tricky to cut tongue and groove in the end grain of the boards.  Therefore, sleds with clamps were used to hold the boards in place.  This makes this operation easier and safer.

My router table was used to add a slight chamfer to the board edges.  This gives a little definition between the boards.  Without it, the whole door just looks flat.

The rails and stiles were screwed down while fitting the field boards in between.  The tongues are always positioned up to help shed water.

The 45 degree boards definitely takes a lot of time since each piece is unique and must be cut and fitted individually.  However, I think the final look is worth it.

After the front sides were completed, I flipped the door over and filled the cavities in the internal frame with two layers of 3/4 inch polystyrene foam.  The foam sections were cut slightly larger with a straight edge and sharp utility knife and stuffed tightly into the openings.  One side of the foam was foil covered, so I chose to face the foil sides towards the outside surfaces of the door.

Strap hinges will be attached with stainless steel carriage bolts.  On the interior side, the nuts and washers were countersunk into the frame so you won't see the fasteners from the inside once the internal boards are applied.

After staining, I think they look pretty smart!

I still have to apply the interior boards, but when complete, the doors will be 3 inches thick and very solid. 
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stephen1

Very nice doors, great work, you will be very happy when you go to work and see those doors.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WmFritz

Super job Brian. Nice work.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Mooseherder

I like the doors and molding Head on the Radial Arm saw.   :)

thecfarm

That does look nice. And than some.
Picture of it in place,please?  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: thecfarm on May 05, 2014, 07:52:28 AM
That does look nice. And than some.
Picture of it in place,please?  :)

Thanks.  Unfortunately, that will have to wait till later this summer when I'm back up in Maine to do some more work on the barn.  In the meantime, I'll be buiding some windows for it too.  A transom window for over the doors is the next project on the list.
e aho laula

thecfarm

Where in Maine will the doors be hung on a barn?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: thecfarm on May 05, 2014, 08:26:02 AM
Where in Maine will the doors be hung on a barn?

CFarm, not too far from you--in Montville.  You probably remember my photos from the barn raising over Labor Day weekend.

Here's what the front will look like:

e aho laula

thecfarm

I forgot about that. But went looking at your gallery and found this.

D L Bahler

I like the concept a great deal. I might adapt it to my own uses, with your permission of course.

Thank You Sponsors!