iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

still amazed

Started by woodmills1, May 20, 2005, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I am coming up on 10 years of owning a woodmizer and I gotta tell ya the HD-40 still amazes me

My new neighbor says he is looking for someone to cut trees for a riding trail for his horses but the last guy wasn't too good to him.  I do that says me and we take a woods walk.  Mostly small or medium pine with a little fire wood and other stuff.

How much will you charge me he says............we dicker about the slash and left overs which he is willing to leave in the woods so I say I will do it for the wood.

2 days into it and boy the woodmizer will make lumber out of some pretty small stuff........ I have pine for my contract.....he has the beginning of a trail and lotsa sun on the wet spot.......and the one oak got me 6 2x8x14 which I have a standing order for truck sides for.

the solenoid for the hydraulic moter seems like it is gonna quit but I can't say enough how getting a 1x10 out of an 11 inch log make ya feel

ORANGE
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

I had some small cherry - 7 to 9 inches and a fella cut 6 - 1x6 on the 7 incher and 8 - 1x8 on the niner. I was pleased....but of course I had about a 1000 feet in his yard of mixed species. I wouldn't waste anyone's time on two loggs unless I hauled it to his sawing site. This was about 10 years ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

This is the first time I have cut trees with out getting paid.  I am doing some general thinning for my new neighbor to get more light on his horse trail.  Mostly smaller trees mostly pine.  Filling orders for both pine and oak as well as green firewood.  Keeping close tabs on expenses and time and including any maintainence in time.

so far:  24 hours   $683 in product    $30 fuel         1121 bd ft total

46.7 bd ft/hr              $27.21/hr

making a 10" board from an 11" log

PRICELESS!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ed_K

Your using a board stretcher, eh  ;D.
Ed K

woodmills1

still waiting for the board stretcher it has been on back order for years. :D

but for real..........I cut the small straight logs through and through from one face using the short clamp.  Then rotate 180 degrees and do the same, right down to 4/4, then edge all the flitches.  I can usually get a board that is just about as wide as the small end of the log.  This takes more time but is useful if trying to maximize or in valuable species.

Ed_K

I'm going to do that on some pine, I need 1x12s and only have a few logs in the 12" to 16" dib. It seems that what ever you have on hand, they want something else  :D.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!