iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Other equipment from China.... anyone have any?

Started by schmalts, April 05, 2016, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmalts

Ok, so I have had a Chinese tractor for over 15 years with pretty good luck, Know a couple guys with the PTO driven wood chippers, I see someone purchased a Rino Chinese project skidder, and then there are the Harbor freight basic band saws, but has anyone heard of any feedback from other items like forwarding trailers, grapple cranes, and or the larger heavy duty band saw mills they sell?  This might fit the bill for a weekender or hobby logger on his own land just farting around.
[

concretecutter

how about buying good quality American made equipment keep your brothers and sisters employed in our home land

schmalts

Quote from: concretecutter on April 05, 2016, 08:45:33 PM
how about buying good quality American made equipment keep your brothers and sisters employed in our home land
Thanks for the response, but it's not the topic.  Who made the shoes you wore today? How about your kids shoes?  Back to the topic please.

CCC4

One of our bush mechanics bought some China stuff for some 461's ....its garbage! I mean what else would you expect from an $18 carb?? Same guy ordered me a door handle for my Toyota, it was cheap but barely works. My Son and I were very active in racing, his competition bought China cheap parts...we won every year. If you can buy a carb for $40 for race competition and I pay $550...there has to be something wrong. Sorry, I'm not sold on China products. I'm not at all saying I buy all American...but there is major difference in buying bottom if the barrel.

CCC4

That grapple and trailer set up look nice but waaaay too light for 7k...I mean, you could by a crapper knuckle boom that you can actually use and be money ahead. What's the availabilty of parts? I know on these junker China 4 wheelers that parts are only available because the dealer buys extra junkers to take apart and sell parts off of.

I Jus can't get over how light that equipment looks. Sure, it may be great for occasional use or hobby sports but what can you actually do with a grapple that's boom looks no bigger than my arm?

schmalts

There is definitely good and bad stuff, you have to weed them out. The shoes is a good example, under proper QC it is always possible. I have seen a couple ATV's from china, all junk.  The motors were pretty good because they were made on old Honda die parts but it was the chassis that was junk.  As far as equipment goes, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have better than average mechanical skills because of the lack of support.  Keep in mind how many parts are installed into so called "American" and other countries products that were sourced from China. It would surprise most people who are not in manufacturing or assembly how much is coming from somewhere else.

schmalts

Quote from: CCC4 on April 05, 2016, 09:46:40 PM

I Jus can't get over how light that equipment looks. Sure, it may be great for occasional use or hobby sports but what can you actually do with a grapple that's boom looks no bigger than my arm?
Yes the small ATV model has crap for lifting cap. The larger one is 900KG if i remember (at close range) They make even beefier models but I only have a 55HP tractor and if there is snow or soft ground I sure wouldn't want anything bigger and beefier. I agree, it is not for a full time logger, but that I am not.  and I would still have to drag large oak logs out but I can deal with that. As far as parts, they are available, buy you will have down time for shipping. Again, it's not for the pro or anyone who couldn't weld, machine, or fabricate if need be and those are all things I am skilled with.

schmalts

Quote from: schmalts on April 05, 2016, 10:02:37 PM
Quote from: CCC4 on April 05, 2016, 09:46:40 PM

Here is another picture with a small Chinaman and tractor for reference. I think it is bigger than you think. My guess is that is a 80-100HP tractor range that it is hooked up to.  I think it is bigger than you think. again, the yellow one is rated at 5 tons carry, the red one was 3 tons, and the little ATV one was i think less than a ton.  It is definitely for small time hobby use but they do make them for up to 10 ton but you better have a big tractor. And BTW, there is a ram on the tongue for steering assists on the red and yellow one.

ohiowoodchuck

I just think of the years I worked at a metal assemblies and stamping plant. Sometimes they would buy Chinese steel and the sheets would keep splitting in the dies and we couldn't use. Yes it usually cost a fourth of the price but when you couldn't even make a part out of it, it wasn't no good to us. It was the good old American steel that we never had trouble with. I think we had a metelology report done one time on the China steel and it so much impurities in it, it wasnt funny. I think the guy told me that the Chinese mix all trash and everything in with there steel pours. I know a local foundry is getting more of there work back that was initially out sourced to China because it wasn't holding up. I'll buy worn out American iron before I'd buy new Chinese. That's just my opinion. Carry on men.
Education is the best defense against the media.

ohiowoodchuck

Another good story I got is buddy had a tym tractor, made in Korea. We was trying to pull a large maple out of his creek with it. He had it hooked to the front bucket, had it in reverse and 4x4 and was in sand. All the sudden the loudest pop I heard. When we tore it apart which involved splitting the tractor, the total damage was 4 transmission gears, 2 4x4 gears. The front ring and pinion and a planatery gear. It took 2 months to get the parts to fix it which I believe they put it on a canoe and rowed it across the ocean. Needless to say the minute it started after the repair, it was loaded on a trailer and traded for a John Deere. I wouldn't buy Korean either.
Education is the best defense against the media.

timberlinetree

Only thing good about China stuff is its looks and shine. I made the China mistake once( maybe just got 2 bad ones) China does have big cities and the biggest paper mill in the world, so they can build,they just sell us their bad designs and stuff off the b belt to get rid of it with a few ok machines slipping through, but just a guess since I have never been there.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

MattR

Quote from: concretecutter on April 05, 2016, 08:45:33 PM
Many iron mines are closing down as we speak because of the influx of Chinese steel . And as somebody below commented about the quality of steel , I have been hearing reports from local fabrication shops of Chinese steel flaking apart , like someone below stated also . It actually flakes apart in layers like laminated plywood when it's wet, or a pastry crust .

It's all about the cost of production though, and the lack of environmental regulations . Even an American icon like the Lionel train Corp. , has moved to China .
Matt

Corley5

I'd never buy something brand new KNOWING that I was going to have to fix it.

Quote from: schmalts on April 05, 2016, 10:02:37 PM
Again, it's not for the pro or anyone who couldn't weld, machine, or fabricate if need be and those are all things I am skilled with.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Grizzly

2011 ZL16F

I bought this loader from a dealer in BC under the impression that he would have a full parts supply when I needed it. That was my main concern when buying this equipment. The loader has treated me fairly well but the batteries had to go, I finally got a local starter shop to build me a starter that would last, and I'm having trouble with the 24v alternator. Other than not being able to buy parts as needed I really don't have much to complain about, but that is the main reason I do not shop for anything that is labelled "Made in China". Anything they build that is made to specifications of a buyer seem to be fine but not this stuff they are trying to sell direct. Just my experience.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

longtime lurker

I've had  mostly good luck with chinese gear but then I didnt pay for a cart horse and expect a thoroughbred.
The one "major" piece of plant was a 4t forklift. It's now ten years old and coming up on 15000 hours and so far so good. It might not offer the refinement of some of the "big brand" machines but it starts, it runs, its been reliable and I'd buy another one if I had the need.

I'm laughing at the "buy local" brigade. Who do they mean... Caterpillar for instance?  And where do they think thats made now? If its built in a factory in China thats buying American? Really??? How about assembled in a factory in Mexico from parts made in a factory in China???  51 plants in the USA (mostly assembly) and 59 offshore - and most of the component manufacturing being done in the offshore plants = its a "Chinese" bulldozer (or whatever) to me.

The "Chinese" gear ranges in quality from good to rubbish and you'll get what you pay for in terms of quality control - same as everywhere else.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Puffergas

Had a Chinese chipper and didn't like it so it got sold. Lot of iron for the money but poor design. I do like Chinese clone engines.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Peter Drouin

All this talk reminds me of a time when all American machines and trucks were made here. The only thing I can do now is buy an American name like a chevy truck or a John Deere tractor. So I tried to keep America working, If the thing is made in China then it's there lie not mine, I at least tried, and did not go out and get a Chinese junk from the get go. ::)

:-X
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

schmalts

Quote from: longtime lurker on April 06, 2016, 06:43:57 PM
I've had  mostly good luck with chinese gear but then I didnt pay for a cart horse and expect a thoroughbred.
The one "major" piece of plant was a 4t forklift. It's now ten years old and coming up on 15000 hours and so far so good. It might not offer the refinement of some of the "big brand" machines but it starts, it runs, its been reliable and I'd buy another one if I had the need.

I'm laughing at the "buy local" brigade. Who do they mean... Caterpillar for instance?  And where do they think thats made now? If its built in a factory in China thats buying American? Really??? How about assembled in a factory in Mexico from parts made in a factory in China???  51 plants in the USA (mostly assembly) and 59 offshore - and most of the component manufacturing being done in the offshore plants = its a "Chinese" bulldozer (or whatever) to me.

The "Chinese" gear ranges in quality from good to rubbish and you'll get what you pay for in terms of quality control - same as everywhere else.
Thanks for the comment and Exactly, but some refuse to believe this and think that everything is junk from China. Even Yanmar is now full of Chinese parts, along with many other engine manufacturers but to most, it is not known.  As far as the comment about buying something expecting to have to work on it? What a crock.  All logging equipment needs to be worked on. The last logger I had on my land had more down time for broken equipment than he had days working and left enough petroleum based fluids spilled on the ground to make the EPA make my land a superfund sight. It's a freaking forwarding trailer, if you think it is rocket science to fix or repair that, I would hate to see you if your truck ever breaks.  If you can't weld, wrench, or fabricate as a logger you sure must spend a lot of cash spending others to do it for you.  Just sayin.  Again, back on topic, share results if you have had equipment and keep the assumption comments to a minimum.

schmalts

Quote from: Puffergas on April 06, 2016, 07:22:05 PM
Had a Chinese chipper and didn't like it so it got sold. Lot of iron for the money but poor design. I do like Chinese clone engines.
What about the chipper didn't you like? Was it a gravity feed, machanical feed or hydro feed?   Here is another picture of a 5 ton trailer they are making.
With the 5 ton model there is an option for air brakes but My tractor has no compressor so that wouldn't be much help. You can see it has the hydro assist steering in the hitch, (ram is on the opposite side) for those of you who have used trailers like this how much or an advantage is this?

Corley5

I'd rather wrench on a piece of older North American or Scandinavian made equipment.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gary_C

Quote from: schmalts on April 06, 2016, 10:26:08 PM
  As far as the comment about buying something expecting to have to work on it? What a crock.  All logging equipment needs to be worked on. The last logger I had on my land had more down time for broken equipment than he had days working and left enough petroleum based fluids spilled on the ground to make the EPA make my land a superfund sight. It's a freaking forwarding trailer, if you think it is rocket science to fix or repair that, I would hate to see you if your truck ever breaks.  If you can't weld, wrench, or fabricate as a logger you sure must spend a lot of cash spending others to do it for you.  Just sayin.  Again, back on topic, share results if you have had equipment and keep the assumption comments to a minimum.

So you are going to insult us loggers and then tell us not to insult your cheap flimsy equipment.  ::)

I'll give you a specific comment if you would like to know. My forwarder has three and a half inch double extra heavy pipes for the vertical parts and even then they get bent sometimes. Those flimsy bent pipes on your so called forwarder trailer look like inch and a half tubing that are no where near heavy enough. So you can see right away they will get bent up and even if it's just a weekend user right away you are going to be trying to make those bunks heaver. Just because it's a weekend user, the logs do not get lighter for those guys.

That's what Corley 5 was trying to tell you. Why would anyone buy something that you know is made too light to work?

What did you say was the name of your company?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

timberlinetree

I'm a big fan of American steel,but once we got chipper blades from Vietnam? And was really surprised how long they lasted although the supply didn't last long as we have never come across them since.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

schmalts

Quote from: Gary_C on April 07, 2016, 01:21:42 AM
Quote from: schmalts on April 06, 2016, 10:26:08 PM
  As far as the comment about buying something expecting to have to work on it? What a crock.  All logging equipment needs to be worked on. The last logger I had on my land had more down time for broken equipment than he had days working and left enough petroleum based fluids spilled on the ground to make the EPA make my land a superfund sight. It's a freaking forwarding trailer, if you think it is rocket science to fix or repair that, I would hate to see you if your truck ever breaks.  If you can't weld, wrench, or fabricate as a logger you sure must spend a lot of cash spending others to do it for you.  Just sayin.  Again, back on topic, share results if you have had equipment and keep the assumption comments to a minimum.

So you are going to insult us loggers and then tell us not to insult your cheap flimsy equipment.  ::)

I'll give you a specific comment if you would like to know. My forwarder has three and a half inch double extra heavy pipes for the vertical parts and even then they get bent sometimes. Those flimsy bent pipes on your so called forwarder trailer look like inch and a half tubing that are no where near heavy enough. So you can see right away they will get bent up and even if it's just a weekend user right away you are going to be trying to make those bunks heaver. Just because it's a weekend user, the logs do not get lighter for those guys.

That's what Corley 5 was trying to tell you. Why would anyone buy something that you know is made too light to work?

What did you say was the name of your company?
Insult? That's a little touchy. It's a disagreement, sorry if it insults you and I value your input in that quoted comment, thanks.  Name of my company?? I think you are assuming I am looking to pedal these items, and that isn't the case.  I am just trying to decide if it's worth purchasing something like this.  Again, I have a tractor that I have had for over 15 years that had treated me very well, so I am not as scared off by the quality of some of the products if they are chosen wisely.  Like in the post of the guy who bought the project chinese skidder, there was someone who said they wished they bought one when they were around so they couldn't have been all that terrible.  At the time I bought the tractor it came with a backhoe. It has been stored outdoors uncovered the whole time and the steel has not flaked apart, or has the paint even rusted off. However I have had to make a couple reinforcements to it to use it on a larger tractor, and added  the use of a prince pump because the factory pump was too low of a flow rate.

Puffergas

It was a 3 pt hitch chipper. Maybe for 30hp and up. The horizontal indeed didn't work well. One roller and straight infeed. So the chunks wanted to slide off to the side. Other chippers, that I later noticed, feed in at a little angle. Some stuff broke off of it and I had to weld them back on. Not a big deal. The out feed horn was easy to plug up. Big pain there. Sold as chipping 6" dia but I found 3" to be realistic. The hitch was lacking in design but I got it to hitch up to my tractor.

Some stuff from China has worked good for me. Not too sure about big items. I like building my own stuff from old iron. But that's just me.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Logger RK

schmalts,I think you should buy one & keep us updated on how it holds up.

Thank You Sponsors!