iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing a chainsaw stuck in a tree-the wrong way!

Started by fritz423, August 26, 2016, 06:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

Well i am not sure if this is meant to be a joke or what but all i can say is wow .I think the first place to start would be some ppe.and after that i am going to leave it alone .😮

Chop Shop

I could see Darwin in the back sneaking around!

Whats with the turkey carving technique?

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

OH logger

i was wantin him to get up on  a stepladder and continue his cuts all th eway up the tree and when hes done pull out the bottom piece and the whole tree comes to the ground as cut up firewood chunks :D. but seriously the guy seems like  a real professional though  ;D
john

pine

I am trying to understand the buck saw technique with a chainsaw.  Does that help it cut faster?  Maybe if the chain is dull it helps the saw to cut by sawing back and forth that way.  I have seen some folks do that but not to the extent this guys does.

CCC4

Im speechless...I need to be in waaaay better mood to even give a serious comment

so il logger

:D :D I like the manual sawing effort  ;D :D

In the future pay someone to cut down them saplings ;)

red

There is a lot going on in that video . Basicly dumb luck he is not Dead .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

so il logger

After watching the entire video... All i can say is thank you for keeping my insurance premium at such a high rate.

kderby

Stumps don't lie.  Any experienced sawyer can look at those cuts and determine the operators level of experience.

"All too human."  That is the nice way to say it. 

CCC4

I wanna change the pace on this for a minute. Anybody had to deal with this scenario very often? You have a 5.5 with total limb locked top in bushy field tree growing beside a fence and you want the 5.5 down. How would you do this?

Number one, it's not going to be straight forward felling, the 5.5 is going to want to sit straight down with about any face you put in it. GOL isn't going to work, conventional isn't going to work...what will?

So I have been thinking, having cut a lot of fence row work and knowing what a bind you can get in to, I figured out a way to get the tree cut. Now it is nowhere near conventional but it works. "IF" everything is as it seems and the top is definitely limb locked...I would cut the 5.5 like I would a lodged tree, by using a diagonal cut at a very steep angle sawing downward half way then in an upward angle from the bottom. This would allow for the 5.5 to slip off itself rather than set down on your bar. Repeat the cut a few times till the top is unlocked and pull the remainder down by hand. You have to watch you feet and legs though due to you are dealing with a sharpened end that is going to stick in the ground.

Any other suggestions? Lets keep vehicles out of this scenario and discus chainsaw tactics on how you guys would approach this with chainsaw only.

Whoever is the owner of this video, take your saws to the nearest Pawn Shop and save yourself an ER visit. If not...learn how to sharpen your saw, I could have cut that tree faster with a rope saw. Ridiculous use of a chainsaw, not even sure where you learned the under notch....not even gonna give you credit for it being a Humbolt because i figure it was just dumb luck you threw it in there. I wish you had stuck at least 3 saws in that sappling....THAT would have been a good video! 

danbuendgen

This is why 90% of non-professionals should not own or operate chainsaws. First thing I noticed was how DULL that saw was. No hardhat, ear plugs, chaps/pants?? I got a kick out of the chainsaw technique....  (edited by admin). That guys obviously has no clue what he is doing. I figure most folks reading this are well aware that if you pinch a saw in a tree, take the power head off the bar before doing anything else. Might bend a bar, but better then crunching the saw....

However, I do agree with what CCC4 brings to the table. Can't cut this in a normal fashion as it's wedged in a large hard wood tree. I too would cut it the same as CCC4 has described if I was not on the logging job with equipment at my disposal. However if I was at work, and that tree had to go, I'd just push it over root ball and all with the skidder..... End of story.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Ox

Am I the only one who felt anger rising and wanted to slap somebody?  If for nothing else, the gene pool has been diluted somewhat.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

dgdrls

First welcome to the FF,  I see this is post 1,

We would like to have you around for post 2.............

Best   

D

celliott

CCC4, I've used the technique you describe multiple times. If we're cutting a narrow trail to pull big mainline pipe or just to get an ATV up, usually cut smaller stuff but sometimes one bigger tree has to go that just won't fall without hanging up. Having no equipment to pull it down with, this is the way we do it.
It works fine, you just have to be aware of what the tree is going to do so you don't crush your feet\pinch your saw.
It's a good idea to cut any limbs off you can reach so when the next piece comes down, you don't get smacked by them.

I find it curious, the video maker said "very dangerous" "do not try" etc. multiple times. If you know what you are doing is wrong, why do it anyways? And make a video to boot!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

CCC4

Quote from: Ox on August 27, 2016, 07:23:43 AM
Am I the only one who felt anger rising and wanted to slap somebody?

No...and all of the imaginary self inflicted "DANGER" warnings and self belittlement in the commentary just made me shake my head. The "Widow Maker" one raised my blood pressure a bit, I was just like "really"...this guy would have a heart attack just toting my pack jugs if he was shook up that bad during that video. Like he was trying to inform the public with the dangers of logging or something...I gotta stop, this is just non productive what I am doing here

Jeff

A little investigation and I feel this is someone trying to pull something. He joined just yesterday. He also joined AS just yesterday. Look at the video. I think it was staged due to the poor acting. Although the fool still could have got hurt.  Although his I.P. address here is unique, but that doesn't mean much. In his registration he says he is from Texas. That does check out via the I.P. address. 
When he initially gets the first saw stuck, the novice's first reaction would be to try and wiggle and pull it out. The tree sets back and he instantly proclaims it stuck. Why? Because he was trying to stick it.

Look at his youtube channel, it is simply full of idiotic things he proposes that he has done. What we should be mad at is this fool coming on to our forum for all the wrong reasons.

Let me know who you really are, if you want to actually do something really dangerous.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CCC4

Jeff, good call. I tried to figure it out before replying, I know very well that stuff like this can happen just to raise hairs. It's like you wanna try and help but some things are just done to get people to make replies while the OP jut sits back and laughs. Im done with this thread...

Autocar

If I had a quarter for everytime I have seen stumps or trees hung up and wondered how the operater didn't get killed I would have enough to buy Ohio Logger and a few more of you guys a large pumpkin ice cream cone  ;D.
Bill

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on August 27, 2016, 06:52:20 AM
I wanna change the pace on this for a minute. Anybody had to deal with this scenario very often? You have a 5.5 with total limb locked top in bushy field tree growing beside a fence and you want the 5.5 down. How would you do this?

Number one, it's not going to be straight forward felling, the 5.5 is going to want to sit straight down with about any face you put in it. GOL isn't going to work, conventional isn't going to work...what will?

So I have been thinking, having cut a lot of fence row work and knowing what a bind you can get in to, I figured out a way to get the tree cut. Now it is nowhere near conventional but it works. "IF" everything is as it seems and the top is definitely limb locked...I would cut the 5.5 like I would a lodged tree, by using a diagonal cut at a very steep angle sawing downward half way then in an upward angle from the bottom. This would allow for the 5.5 to slip off itself rather than set down on your bar. Repeat the cut a few times till the top is unlocked and pull the remainder down by hand. You have to watch you feet and legs though due to you are dealing with a sharpened end that is going to stick in the ground.

Any other suggestions? Lets keep vehicles out of this scenario and discus chainsaw tactics on how you guys would approach this with chainsaw only.

Whoever is the owner of this video, take your saws to the nearest Pawn Shop and save yourself an ER visit. If not...learn how to sharpen your saw, I could have cut that tree faster with a rope saw. Ridiculous use of a chainsaw, not even sure where you learned the under notch....not even gonna give you credit for it being a Humbolt because i figure it was just dumb luck you threw it in there. I wish you had stuck at least 3 saws in that sappling....THAT would have been a good video!

Yep Clint that's the only way it's coming out.  A salami cut and probably several at that.  That video was just ugly.  There was never going to be a near death moment in that situation.  Maybe near maiming but not death.  Now try that with a 3' diameter oak and we might be talking death.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Clint I don't know if you were around then but Gypo John/yukon John from AS was making a bunch of spoof videos years ago.  Shortly after all his joking around he caught a real widow maker in the face and nearly lost an eye.  Wasn't all fun and games anymore.  I remind him of that when he gets too uppity.
Buckin in the woods

danbuendgen

Quote from: CCC4 on August 27, 2016, 09:58:22 AM
Im done with this thread...

Me too, ADMIN EDIT this thread.... This is the first day off I've had in a few weeks, I have better things to do, and we have better topics to discuss....
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

coxy

can we delete this thread like someone else deletes there things where it can never be found  :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!