iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep Paralysis

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2018, 11:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I have a friend who suffers from this too, Jeff. He has since at least his early teens, and it seems to come and go in occurrence. He will also wake up paralyzed, sometimes he can very weakly whisper his wife's name, and she will reach over and touch his arm. He then snaps out of it immediately. I've also heard interesting stories on public radio about this affliction, and it had some interesting history. Such as the term "nightmare". In some traditions, the shadowy figure you have mentioned was called "the hag", if I remember correctly, they said "mare" in old English was a term for woman, so "nightmare" was when the hag came and tormented you at night. I wish I could remember the name of the program, it was quite informative but it's been a few years since I heard it.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

No_Dude

I've read about them before but never have known anyone that has them, or atleast that talks about them. I imagine no improvement since the last post?

Jeff

Been really bad lately. Two instances last night, the second time with hallucinations. Kinda avoiding going  to bed tonight.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

These are the shortest days, any correlation? If so daylight lamps? I was kinda hoping this post was going to say it was over.

Jeff

I think my triggers last night was because we had to be gone in the afternoon and evening and ate a very late supper. Like 9:00.  I remember the last multi episode night i had done the same.

doc henderson

I have seen a few episodes of paralysis.  Some are after a seizure and called Todds paralysis.  Another is a weird thyroid condition in certain ancestries and if you eat carbohydrate, it drives potassium into your cells and the muscles do not work with low serum K+.  We do sedations with a drug called Ketamine and it induces a dissociative state and things like setting a bone in your broken arm seem like a dream.  Some kids wake up half asleep and half awake and it is like  a night terror.  Not sure what all is going on but a good sleep center should be able to diagnose more than just sleep apnea.  I am not trying to be a smarty pants, and this is not my area of expertise, so I would follow up with your sleep medicine Dr.  I started as a Respiratory therapist to work my way through shcool in the 1980s, and did sleep studies when they first became a thing.  You need to prob. go to a center where they have seen it all.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

My unsurance is such that they would not approve a full study last year when requested because of the first home study results. Ive worsened since then. I do have a covered wellness exam coming up where perhaps i can get some help.

Jeff

Btw, unsurance is my term for next to worthless coverage.

doc henderson

Hopefully the Dr. will be on your side.  The home stuff is to screen for sleep apnea, looking for hypoxic episodes.  There is definitely some medical issues to look at besides OSA.  Good Luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

Wow Jeff
I hope and pray that a solution can be found.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

RPowers

My wife (36yo) has sleep paralysis. She isn't able to talk at all, but if she can will anything on her body to move, or if someone else touches her, she wakes out of it immediately. She has to stay awake for a while after because she will go right back into that state if she falls back asleep too quickly. It frightens her quite a bit. She says that even something as small as my breathing moving against her is enough to wake her up. In the dream she'll be screaming and throwing herself around trying to wake up but can't. 

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Jeff

Beleive her, it can be terrifying. In all my research, ive not found a documented case where they can verbally communicate like i do.

Magicman

I can verify that Jeff can communicate and can summon help.  Once I did not quite get him awake and he told me "more" so I popped him on the shoulder a few more times to get him fully awake.  Also his first words are always "thank you" indicating that he is aware that he needs waking up and is grateful to be out of the paralyzed state.

What I have read is that it is not harmful to the person, just terrifying.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I just watched, well most of, as i was getting a bit unnerved as much of it was hitting to close to home, a documentary on Netflix called "The Nightmare." It was not helpful, as least for today its not, as it left me with the same dred of going back to sleep as an actual episode.

Jack S

Jeff, My cousin was a research technician for the psychology dept at cornell university and he told me that a professor years ago did a live research project on this very issue and found that any kind of light triggered it. What they did then was they had the patients wear eye masks when sleeping and they then didnt have the episodes. This didn't prove why it happened or a cure But I call it a band aid fix. Apparently if a person opened their eyes when asleep and saw any kind of light it only triggered part of the brain.  If you haven't heard of this  just make sure there is no kind of light in your room. The masks I was told can be bought in the cosmetic dept in stores. women use them for something I know nothing about. Ed and I have been retired from cornell over 20 years so this research was done sometime prior to that.  Who knows give it some thoughtI know you have also mentioned you have some eye problems could be related.  were all rootin for ya  Jack

Jeff

Jack, I have two. One Tammy made me a while back and a purchased one. I've had incidents while wearing them. Lately I've been trying to eliminate all artificial light from where I'm to sleep as well as wear earplugs. Inevitably once I think I might have a system down that works, it has failed.

doc henderson

I know this is a big problem, and you prob. can remember details, but I would record in a journal all the things you are trying, and all the details that precede your episodes.  Sometimes, this is a semi-hypnotic, half asleep and half awake state.  However admittedly, if I had the answer, I would tell you now.  it carries a little weight when you see a new doc for the first time to have dates and details, and not just generalizations.  best wishes!

Jack S

Great Jeff you are on the light thing already. From what I was told it didnt take much to trigger it.  even a lit clock in the room if your eye happened to see it. car lights flashing thru the window.   Jack

mike_belben

What if you poke some smot before bed?  Better or worse?
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Ive never tried, but if I thought it was the cure, id try it.

doc henderson

not sure if you have a beer occasionally or not, but what ever you try, keep track of results.  If you are stuck half between asleep and dreaming, and half awake state, getting more asleep might help.  Again, I am not recommending either type of "self medicating" with either, but keep track of results of what ever you do.  Not sure of the status where you are, but I avoid things that could cause me to loose my med. license, or DOT license.

Jeff

Beer is not helpful due to the gotta wake up and pee effect.  I do keep track of the things I try, such as the blindfold. Really makes so difference.

doc henderson

I do not know any docs in your area but let me know if I can help. I usually have a beer when I get home at 1 am  after working a 14 hours day.

mike_belben

Welp, ive always been an insomniac and nothing ever helped me sleep better or more consistently.  20 some yrs ago anyways when it'd get ya in a boatload more trouble than now. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!