iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hireing someone?

Started by Firewoodjoe, December 02, 2014, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I may be starting to drive log truck and I will not have time to do my wood orders but I hate to loose the customers. How do you guys handle hireing someone? Full workers comp? Liability insurance? Do they do delivers too? And does it work out?? I know this is pretty general but I've never leagaly hired an employee.

beenthere

Highly doubt you will be able to hire someone who will do the job for your customers like you do it now. So with all the other costs, there will be frustrations and on top of it, you may still lose your customers.

As I see it, you are better off just letting the customers know and to find someone else. Maybe they will appreciate you more when you get back into selling firewood. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

If you bought bulk from a processor could you hire a truck and driver to deliver and still break even? If you did that for this year only it would give you the breathing space to decide to keep customers or do the driving thing instead. Hiring a sub contractor with their own vehicle would greatly simplify things.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Holmes

I am with beenthere on this one. Legally hiring in this state " Ma." requires workmen's comp, liability ins, tax id #, withholding taxes , matching there social security withholdings, payments to the state and fed. government. Once you get past all that the income needs to be generated each week to pay the employee. If you train him well enough to do the job the way you want it done he will most likely leave you and take your customers seeing as he now knows how to make fire wood.
A subcontractor is described as a person doing work for you who can perform his duties without your direct supervision.
Think like a farmer.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah sadly I agree😐. Well I'm thinking of trying to have him help out for now. He does Saturday's on and off. And I'll deliver. If I can't make it work so be it. I'd like him to just take it all over. Yes I would loose the customers but it would give him a real goo start at something and the customers won't have to look around. Thanks guys.

Thewoodman

pay him or her under the table cash
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Holmes

I believe there is nothing wrong with trying to help someone out. If you are wanting to give it up why not give him a "leg up" {old saying}
Think like a farmer.

brendonv

Figure double what you pay someone youll also pay a government party and towards ins.

My $11 brush dragger and raker cost me about $20.  Sad. Wc is almost 40% for my job down here, plus payroll company, plus state, fed, etc.  Hard to be honest and make a buck.  :(
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Holmes

That is a high worker comp rate. wow :o  I believe plumbing is 5%
Think like a farmer.

Stray one

not sure how your state works.  Here if your man got his independent contractor certificate then you could sub to him and he would be on the hook for his own affairs.  I have had success with that if your state will let you. until your man gets going You could pay him in cords realizing he has to sell them to your costumers.  But if he wrecks himself, your truck, a septic tank ect everyone will be comin to you with there hand out.  I do agree with beenthere though everything he does will seem like a reflection on you.  Not poo pooin your idea but the paperwork sucks for one or two employees.

Small Slick

Having employees is generally a huge hassle. However it is a necessary evil if you are going to grow a business.

If I were in your shoes, consider a partner. You could sell a percentage of your business to the person possibly with some performance clauses and then you get something better than an hourly employee you get a partner with some skin in the game.

May not be for you but it might work great. John

Gearbox

I hired with a temp agency for my dirt company . If I didn't like who they sent they would send out another . If you talk real hard you can get them to send someone out to work and if they arn't able to run the machines you dont pay them . The best part is you are not doing payroll every Thursday nite . Cost is a little more but they are not your employees .Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!