iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cordwood grill, my new invention

Started by Tom L, July 23, 2014, 10:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

I don't know if it is an actual new invention , but close enough for a NJ redneck.
here was my problem, I cut all my firewood 18" long, it gets seasoned and dried for the wood stove.
so every time I want to use a grill with wood, I have to cut the 18" stuff in half to fit it in a normal grill, or cut it all
small to begin with and split it into small pieces. then I always run out of dry small stuff,

so I made a grill to fit the longer/larger pieces. bent a few pieces of metal for the base and made up the grate.
the grate slides back and forth so you can move it out of the way easily with a metal poker rod. this lets me start a fire
and load cordwood on there with no problems. so far it has worked out great, food is cooking perfect and have not used my propane grill now for a month. so with the savings in propane, I should pay off the materials/labor for the new grill in 25-30 years LOL

goose63

That looks like the ones you see in the parks around here only  bigger and better looking :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

I like that!! Does not matter the cost or time. As long as it works and makes life easier!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Neat.  Looks to be ¼" plate - heavy duty!  Did you make the grill surface or did you re-purpose something?  In the second picture, is that a wood/charcoal grate to raise the fire level?  And I take it that is an OWB in the background.  Nice!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom L

yes it is 1/4" plate, I made the grill surface out of 1/4 x 1/2 flat bars , the grate next to it is for another grill.

figured I would make it heavy so it didn't melt and distort

all of the material was sitting around about to be scrapped so I used it.

still have to trim that stainless angle on the grill grate, way out of square but it works

no owb, that is my wood processor. makes chopping up grill wood real easy  8) 8) 8) 8)

edit
no wait your looking at my smoker cooker in the background. now that thing makes some good bbq

I like to bbq/grill and eat, and I have the waistline to prove it :D :D :D

Ljohnsaw

Holy moley - that's your smoker! :o  8)  REALLY nice!

So, how did you bend the ¼" plate? Cold or hot?  I had a heck of a time bending my 3/16" diamond plate into my bucket:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom L

I have a 500 ton press brake at the shop.
cold formed, pretty easy with the right machine.

Thehardway

Nice job, that makes a pretty slick wood fired grill.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Den Socling

as soon as I saw it I knew you had a heavy duty brake. Nice work.

21incher

Nice job. It looks like that should last a lifetime.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

nice grill!  thinking I wish I had that brake ;D  makes for nice fab work,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

36 coupe

You can buy steel plate 1/4x 8 ,no bending needed.I have the parts to make one on hand.The top can be made with 1/2 steel or round stock.No need to pay 20 bucks for a propane fire bomb.I use hardwood scraps and wood charcoal.A steel pipe set in the ground will mount the grill and let it swivel away from the wind.State Parks have welded steel grills you can look at for ideas.These little grills cook just a well as 200 buck stainless grills.

Thank You Sponsors!