iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new log trailer invention

Started by Brandon1986, April 09, 2015, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon1986

Though Y'all might like to see what a little ingenuity, and $900 could do or a low budget sawmill operation, its not quite done yet, but its functional. If it doesn't post the pics when I hit the post button sorry I will fix it quick (if I can)

Brandon1986

Magicman

Got it too.  You might want to put an outrigger on that corner to take the weight off of everything else.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kensfarm

That's pretty cool..  any closeups of your arm setup. 

Lawg Dawg

Nice straight logs..looks like you've already skimmed one!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Brandon1986

Until I can find time to get it back into the shop for more fab work a handy man jack will have to suffice as an outrigger, but I do have that in mind.  I had to get this thing functional quick as construction season will be starting here this week and this is my means of by which to get logs off off job sites without running a very expensive self loading log truck for 2-4 logs at a time.  I modeled it after the 1950's cable log loaders after watching one on you tube a while back, if it was production then I'm sure it will suit my needs in the modern day. The one thing I realize I need to do right away is upgrade from a 2000# to a 3500# boom winch, at present without the connecting chain the lift winch will overpower the brake on the boom winch, even with the snatch block in place.  I figure 7000# (post snatch block) will be way more than adequate for that setup lifting a 1500# max log.  In my neck of the woods finding anything over 1000# inside of 20' is a NICE log.

I did start on that one for trailer decking for one of our heavy equip trailers, but a customer showed up right in the middle of it so I got schuck of that one and went onto his job.  The 2 spruce there were a couple choice logs off of a job we did a week ago, and the slightly crooked birch.... that was just to test the thing out and I didn't want to take it back off I will just use that for firewood later I think. 

And for those that wanted a closer look at my boom

jmouton

that a pretty good job there,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

21incher

Looks nice. If they are winches from china be careful about the load on the cable. I found out the hard way that my winch was rated for a 2500 lb load, but the cable only had a working load rating that was half that. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

5quarter

Nice picker you have there! nothing better than good ole Yankee ingenuity.  8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

I like it!  All the best getting some good lumber.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

justallan1

Nice job. that's gettin' er done how ever you have to!

red

There are some pictures of an old F350 pulpwood truck at
www.Tomssaw.com
Some good Redneck Engineering
Always Work Safe
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tomorrow

Quote from: Brandon1986 on April 09, 2015, 09:53:05 PM
Until I can find time to get it back into the shop for more fab work a handy man jack will have to suffice as an outrigger, but I do have that in mind.  I had to get this thing functional quick as construction season will be starting here this week and this is my means of by which to get logs off off job sites without running a very expensive self loading log truck for 2-4 logs at a time.  I modeled it after the 1950's cable log loaders after watching one on you tube a while back, if it was production then I'm sure it will suit my needs in the modern day. The one thing I realize I need to do right away is upgrade from a 2000# to a 3500# boom winch, at present without the connecting chain the lift winch will overpower the brake on the boom winch, even with the snatch block in place.  I figure 7000# (post snatch block) will be way more than adequate for that setup lifting a 1500# max log.  In my neck of the woods finding anything over 1000# inside of 20' is a NICE log.

I did start on that one for trailer decking for one of our heavy equip trailers, but a customer showed up right in the middle of it so I got schuck of that one and went onto his job.  The 2 spruce there were a couple choice logs off of a job we did a week ago, and the slightly crooked birch.... that was just to test the thing out and I didn't want to take it back off I will just use that for firewood later I think.  

And for those that wanted a closer look at my boom

Brad_bb

I don't see any pic and nothing in his gallery??
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Downstream

Same here cant find photos, but this type of trailer attachment is what I have been thinking about for my trailer.  Just realized how old the thread is, but still would love to see a photo.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

logs2lumber

Heck I thought Something was wrong with my Computer  :D I was like what pictures lol 

Jeff

Luckily I had the photos in back up and can replace them in the post, but can not place them back within his gallery due to the deletion deleted the database reference. That is why in the rules that it is a big offense to delete photos from your gallery that you have already used in a post. I don't always have them handy and the backups can take hours and hours to extract and go through.  @Brandon1986  why did you delete all the photos in your gallery?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Jeff,
Great work finding the pictures and re-linking.  When I read this yesterday, I, too, thought "what pictures?"  Interesting concept, though scary looking (tipsy).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Brandon,

If you decide to shift from the logging and sawing industry to heavy equipment manufacturing I will be glad to be your southern WV rep. I would love to have that rig here right now to load a few loads of Red Oak a guy gave me. Maybe the next time we come visit my wife's niece there in Wasilla we will have to come look you up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Slingshot

Here is the boom I put on one of my trailers....3450 warn winch on
top and a 10 ton high lift jack to raise boom...

mike_belben

Any bearings in the turntable or just pipe in pipe?  @slingshot

The first guy basically made a jib boom mounted to a trailer.  It would be a lot more rigid with the addition of a torque tube.  Just a piece of sched 40 water pipe welded along the center of the trailer would do.  Round shapes are supreme for carrying torsion load.  Diameter is much more critical than wall thickness in pure torsion loading.  As driveshafts illustrate

Praise The Lord

Slingshot

Mike, There are no bearings in the turntable but heavy grease under
the round top plate. The main vertical pipe is 4-1/2 inch and 1/4 inch
wall thickness. Boom is 3X5 inches, eight feet long. I have loaded some pretty good size logs with it but as MagicMan says I do need some out riggers.

mike_belben

Looks handy.  

Semi truck rear end spindle and hub makes a good turntable base.  Too loose for manual operation but with a sprockets, chain and hydraulic motor its an easy way to get started.  

Phone company manlifts too.  They get scrapped a lot and have a perfect brass worm gear turntable and motor already done. 

smiley_daisy
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!