iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to Look For in a Forklift ****Picture Added****

Started by Ga_Boy, April 18, 2006, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Carry the load low. That lift will sure make the difficult easy.
Congratulations,
Maple
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

oakiemac

Nice looking lift. Just don't take it in the mud ;)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ironwood

Captain,

Some forklifts tilt forward an amazing angle. My 8000# Clark IT-80 rough terrain really tilts forward, another Clark CY500 (old glass plant truck which I traded off for the IT-80) I had also tilted way out. I think it was a concident that they were both Clarks.

Ga Boy,

Lift looks great. Hyster is a top shelf unit, you'll love it! No comparison to most other equipment for lifting #####'s.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

AS FOR MUD, YOU'DE BE AMAZED WHAT TIRE CHAINS CAN DO!!! i WISH i HAD SOME PHOTOS OF THE MUCK MINE HAVE BEEN IN.  The key is good ground clearence which your Hyster has. Usually the trucks are twice their rated weight, so yours should weigh 14-16,000lbs. It also looks like you have wide front drive tires which helps with the off road stuff especially with chains. Get the ones with MONSTER cross links. I usually find mine at the scrap yard and cut them dowm to fit.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

Gotta be careful running chains on those puppies. They can make for a rough ride and unstable load. It is also easy to tear out the final drive with a heavy foot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DoubleD

Ga boy congratulation for your forklift  8) 8) 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

Ga_Boy

Thanks to all for the comments on the forklift.  What I am looking forward to the most is stickering right off the saw then sitting this pack on the kiln cart then pushing it into the kiln.  No more handling material 2-3 times to get it in to the kiln.   8) 8) 8)

Reid,

Do you run chains all the time?  My existing yard is compacted with gravel, no problems on this surface.  I am looking to expand my storage area for stacking as material comes off the saw.  I am not sure I can afford to properly prep this area, right now it is wooded so I will have to clear it, no problems there, I have  a Kubota with FEL.  My question is for using chains, Can I run chains all the time?  I will end up with two diffrent surfaces, compacted gravel and dirt.  What is your experience?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Dan_Shade

you'll be fine with the chains, Mark, but don't run them on your new pavement.  it will leave dents in asphalt, and may make a "shaky" ride if the gravel is really compacted. 

I used to like it when the school bus had chains, rattle your teeth and everything else!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

Ga. Boy,

I run them mostly in winter. Although if you have gravel they would be fine year around. Mostly I don't want to wear them out by running them all the time and contrary to what MOST people believe forklifts go fine off road. Trust me I know, been doing it for years.

Reid

Thank You Sponsors!