iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painting a table

Started by Bro. Noble, June 08, 2005, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

My wife has looked for a 'breakfast table'  for our new house for the last 6 months.  She wants one just like our old kitchen table except it's maple with a natural finish and she has to have a white one to look right in the breakfast nook ::)  I told her 6 months ago to just paint the old one white.  It's 30 years old,  but in good shape and just the right size and shape for the space.  After lots of looking,  she finally found one that will work for $1,300.  I asked if she was going to buy it and she asked me what I thought about just painting the old one white :D

Since a 30 year old table isn't worth much,  we don't have anything to lose by trying,  but would like suggestions on how to do this right.

What kind of paint,  how to prep the table,  and how to apply the new finish?  What else do I need to know and do?

I'm not completely helpless along these lines,  but pretty close ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

leweee

Use Melamine....directions are on the can....good luck. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

CHARLIE

My assumption is that the original finish is a varnish.  So you can paint over that OK.  Sand the table real well to scuff up the varnish so the paint will stick.  Don't miss any places.  Sand in all the little nooks and crannies.  Use about 150 grit sandpaper and be sure to sand with the grain of the wood.  Never against the grain.  Get all the sanding dust off the table before you paint.  Put some mineral spirits on a rag and wipe the sanded table down real good.

For paint, because it is going to get a lot of use, I'd use an exterior grade gloss white latex enamel.  If you don't want gloss, then use semi-gloss, but don't use a flat paint.  Gloss is stronger and cleans up better.  Don't buy a cheap grade of paint.  Buy the best paint on the market. Something like Sherwin Williams or Hirschfields.  Yeah, it's expensive but it flows better and self levels better and covers better (a lot more pigment than cheaper paints).  Besides, you probably won't have to buy but a quart.  When applying the paint, paint with the grain of the wood.   Be sure to use the right kind of brush for latex paint too.  Don't use a cheap brush. Get a decent one. You won't be sorry.  Ask the guy at the paint store.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Patty

Charlie has it all correct. Since the table will be getting lots of use, you may want to put more than one coat on the top. Sand lightly between coats, and be sure to let the paint dry thoroughly between coats.

Good luck!  ;)

Consider this, a couple coats of paint sure beats forking out $1300 !  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Roxie

When I paint over previously varnished surfaces, I use the same procedure as Charlie and Patty, but I also use a primer called Zar.  It creates a very good bond between surface and paint.  It is applied with a brush and is tacky.  I mention this because I once told Patty about a cabinet project that I did, and because of the pulling on the paint brush, it made my hands cramp the next day, and I looked like I was doing a Joe Cocker impression.   :)
Say when

leweee

Quote from: Roxie on June 09, 2005, 09:25:33 AM
When I paint over previously varnished surfaces, I use the same procedure as Charlie and Patty, but I also use a primer called Zar.  It creates a very good bond between surface and paint.  It is applied with a brush and is tacky.  I mention this because I once told Patty about a cabinet project that I did, and because of the pulling on the paint brush, it made my hands cramp the next day, and I looked like I was doing a Joe Cocker impression.   :)

too funny Roxie.....visions of Woodstock :D :)
melamine is industrial strength white paint ment for shelves & counter tops....is expensive, but tuff as nails  ;D
http://www.hgtv.ca/home/expert/painting6.asp
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Norm

Well I have to disagree with all of you....I think Mrs' Noble deserves a new table not just a paint job on the old one. ;D

leweee

Quote from: Norm_F. on June 09, 2005, 01:22:15 PM
Well I have to disagree with all of you....I think Mrs' Noble deserves a new table not just a paint job on the old one. ;D

So is Patty the money manager in the family Norm? :o ::)......... :D :D :D

pigman

I will have to agree with Norm. Do not paint a perfectly good natural wood table. >:( Now for $1300 I will build her a nice table and paint it any color she wants. ;D If she will let me try it out for dinner, I will even deliver it to Mo. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

Kill two birds with one stone.  There is a technique called "pickling" where you use white paint or stain and wipe most of it off.  It stays in the grain and the pores but the rest of the wood returns to close to the original color with a white-wash affect.  It looks really cool.  A customer of mine uses it in his house.  His kitchen floor is pickled.  :)

pigman

Sorry Noble, If you want the table pickled someone else will have to make it. :-[ I only know how to pickle pig's feet. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Bro. Noble

There was a time when I would have got myself pickled and then used a spray can from Wal-Mart on the table :D :D

The pickled effect isn't what my wife wants.  She wants plain old white.

The table top has a special hard finish on it,  I can't remember what it is called.  I'm not sure how paint will bond to it,  but as I said,  we don't have much to lose.  The link on melimine sounds like it would bond.  I've got some glossy acrylic latex enamle that we used for trim.  I will probably use that because the match would be perfect.

Norm,  I am perfectly willing to spend whatever it takes to please my wife as I'm sure you do with Patty  ( I have the advantage here as my wife just reads the forum over my shoulder and I can control whats on the screne ;D)  The thing is she can't find a table at any price that she likes better than our old one.

Sure appreciate the help :)

I'm anxious to see what I can do.

whitepe

Noble,
Becky does all the painting around our house and you already
know how good she is at milking cows and she is just as good
at painting.  Shall I send her down?   :D

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Perry, Wife says she would cook dinner.  She didn't say if you could come too :D :D

We may be going through Peoria to Iowa City along the first part of July.  Maybe we could meet for dinner somewhere and discuss it ;)

shopteacher

I'd prepare the old finish with a product called Liquid Sandpaper and spray it with a urethane gloss paint.  ;)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!