iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Chainsaw parts

Started by caveman, September 27, 2017, 09:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Where do you recommend getting used chainsaw parts?  There was once a forum sponsor who had them.  Specifically, I need a case half for a Husqvarna 359 (Chain side).  If any forum members have a 359 for parts, I would be happy to pay a reasonable price and contribute the appropriate % to the FF.  This saw was given to me several years ago by a family friend who purchased it to deal with a tree after Hurricane Charlie and continues to run well but it needs some love and attention.
Thank you
Caveman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Thanks Ray,
He had the part listed but was out of stock.  I may buy a whole used case off of Ebay.
Caveman

Ianab

Quote from: caveman on September 28, 2017, 11:12:14 PM
Thanks Ray,
He had the part listed but was out of stock.  I may buy a whole used case off of Ebay.

It might be worth still sending him a message and asking. He gets in bulk lots of old saws, and probably enters the parts into stock as he strips them and checks what parts are still good. He might actually have the part you need "out back" in the inwards bin, and just hasn't got to it yet. If you ask, maybe he can dig one out, and get the part in the next couple of days.

Worst case is he says, "Sorry we don't have one".
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

If you give Scott a "heads up "  on a part he will get a hold of you if he finds one .
On the subject of parts there must be a hundred or more on the net ,then factor in e-bay .Certain items such as Stihl are easy to find but parts for say a model 7 Mall  might be another thing .You about need to know about how much they are worth and new parts for Stihl often are cheaper by just going through a dealer I've found .
Restoration of saws or any thing old is not for everybody because the wait for parts might be long on certain things .Given enough time they usually show up .

caveman

Ian and Al, thank you.  I need to probably let some folks know what parts I need.  I am making do with my 50cc saws, which are fine for bucking logs and most of the hurricane debris at my place is finally on the ground awaiting disposal-so I have time to locate parts.

Also, if I can fix the saw, I will learn a little more about chainsaw repair.  If I mess it up, I will chalk it up to paying for education-sometimes education is expensive, sometimes not so much.  The 359 still runs well and starts from cold on the second pull so I don't mind giving it a shot.
Caveman

thedoublejranch

I'm looking for a ignition module for a Sachs/Dolmar 133, seems to be a common problem, made out of unobtanium too. Trying to fix it for a buddy, at the timber farm, my workhorse is my Stihl 026AV
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Maine372

do you have a part number for that case half? I have some orange orphans here that are as of yet unidentified.

caveman

Thanks Maine 372.  I sent Chainsawr an email and he had the part and suggested other items that I would probably need. They are ordered.  I will probably be asking more questions when they arrive about how to repair it properly.
Caveman

caveman

We reassembled most of the saw this afternoon but decided to try to run it without the bar and chain to see if it would.  It did and I slung the clutch and bearing off.  We looked for the bearing and found it all crumpled up (I suppose we stepped on it).  Another is ordered.  On a positive note, the saw seemed to have good torque and ran well.

If you do not pay special attention when disassembling, it is quite a puzzle to reassemble.  Some threads are fine, some are coarse and the oiler and chain break have some unique bolts.  I think this 359 will cut wood again-relatively soon.  I had previously purchased the intake to cylinder boot.  We installed it today. 
Caveman

sawguy21

Yeah, I learned not to run a saw without the bar and chain the hard way too.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ZeroJunk

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 22, 2017, 03:14:29 AM
Yeah, I learned not to run a saw without the bar and chain the hard way too.  :D

Me three.

caveman

I was glad it started up.  I finished the puzzle today (found places for all of the pieces).  I need one more coarse threaded handlebar mounting bolt-evidently used one in place of a fine thread in plastic somewhere.

We used a heat gun to warm the crank bearing and it allowed the case half to go together with very little effort. 

The homemade case puller did well separating the case.

If I have previously posted these pictures, I apologize.  A two jaw puller was used to pull the bearing off of the crank.  Hopefully when I return from Indy next Saturday the clutch bearing will be here waiting on its installation.

The piston and cylinder looked good to me.  There were no scuffs or scratches, only some carbon on the top of the piston and cylinder.

Caveman

thedoublejranch

Quote from: caveman on September 28, 2017, 11:12:14 PM
Thanks Ray,

Thats probably your best option, because the left and right side cases are torqued together and the crank bore is machined, so technically, they are usually not sold as halve but a pair. With precision machining, even is mass produced items like the Husky chainsaw, they are very precision and would probably work just fine using a half from a donor vs a matched case set. But not ever sold that way normally.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

caveman

After slinging the clutch bearing off and inadvertently smashing it like a bug under a fat man's foot (either mine or John's) I ordered another.  When I got home from Indy last night, it had been delivered.  It was installed and the saw ran well for the few minutes that I ran it this morning.

At the FFA convention, I was given a new Stihl hat which I have been wearing since all of my Husqvarna hats are worn out.  I don't have anything against Stihl, with the exception of their fuel caps, I just don't own any.  Anyway, I do appreciate them sponsoring the National FFA Nursery and Landscape CDE (Career Development Event).   

Again, I appreciate all of the help and suggestions.  Without the encouragement, I would not have attempted to repair this saw. 
Caveman

sawguy21

8) Great. You are now the offishyall Forestry Forum Husqvarna chain saw surgeon.  :D Seriously, you learned a lot and we had fun following your project.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

I had one leftover fine threaded screw with a tapered point on it.  It looks like it may adjust something but I cannot find where it goes.  Chainsawr sent an extra one just like it with the clutch side case half.

I suspect some of you gurus know where it belongs.  If so, I would appreciate the enlightenment.

Caveman

celliott

Pretty sure that's a case bolt, one that holds the two halves together. Are you absolutely positive you installed them all? Sure it's the spare chainsawr sent?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

caveman

The case halve are bolted together with all of the holes filled with fine threaded bolts.  This one is different than the others.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!