iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

The good thing about having a tractor for logging is that you can use it for other jobs around the place. A big one for me is road maintenance. Grading, snow plowing, and every spring, pulling out road rocks pushed up by the frost. If a rock looks like it will stop the grader blade or plow I pull it out with my tractor and log grapple.  A couple days ago I found this one - just a knub showing but it felt solid.

You never know what's there until you get it out.

I put my camera out and made a 5 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0bvRGKJvPo&feature=youtu.be

gg

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done g man! That was a honker. 
 I have one in my shop driveway that has been there since we bought this place. Hardly notice it in the summer time, it doesn't stick up, just a little bump a couple inches high. But in February in a cold winter it pops up about 4". I first 'discovered it' when plowing with my little JD 110. Zipping up and down the driveway taking off 4" of powder show and I hit that thing as fast as that JD would go. The tractor stopped dead in it's tracks, the rear end came up about a foot in the air and the steering wheel was firmly planted in my groin as I nearly flew over the top.  ffcheesy The tractor stalled right out and I thought the teeth flew out of my mouth for a minute.
 Well I don't have a machine like yours, but the following June I went out with a shale bar and started picking at it. After several hours (off and on) I uncovered enough to know that even if I could get a chain around it, my truck wouldn't pull it out. So I took a sledge to the top of it to lower it a bit and covered it back up. ffcheesy It's still there today. But we don't get the really hard freezes to lift it that much anymore. None the less, I go over that spot real slow with the plow. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jb616

LOL Tom, that is one of the funniest stories I heard in a while. Very descriptive ffcheesy

Old Greenhorn

Well, like many good stories it was all true and it didn't feel very funny at that moment. ffcheesy How I stayed in the tractor was a wonder to me. I think that steering wheel got lodged pretty well in my groin and wouldn't/couldn't  let go.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

You must have some soft rocks in NY.  :huh?   
I tried that with a few around here. 
But saying that, there was some ledge next to the road I got rid of. Well, it's still there, but a few inches of dirt is over it now. That came apart in pieces. Wished all  rayrock was like that on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!